Should Jury Duty Be Mandatory??

Should Jury Duty Be Mandatory?

• Total voters
Maybe because he hasn't been sentenced yet.
shrug.gif

Oh. You don't have to go for that do you?
No, I'm not involved.
how can you be a member of a jury that convicted someone but not be involved in the sentencing phase?
that makes ZERO sense

how can you be a member of a jury that convicted someone but not be involved in the sentencing phase?
that makes ZERO sense

There are instances where the jury convicts, and the judge sets the sentence.
hmmm, i was not aware of that

Happened with my sister. She was robbed at gunpoint. The jury found the piece of shit guilty, and the judge set sentence after a plea bargain. Fuckhead was sentenced to 6 years, but ended up only having to spend 4.5 years thinking about his mistake.

I'd like to see professional juries.

I wouldn't want some of the fucking idiots I see on the streets passing sentence on me.

I wouldn't want some of the fucking idiots I see on the streets passing sentence on me.

As I've said before, I'd like to see jurors as a profession. I think the system would benefit from people that wanted to be there.

Maybe we could tie it to unemployment, and have people getting UC benefits serve. They would not be missing work, and would have something better to do than watching Maury & Oprah.

As I've said before, I'd like to see jurors as a profession. I think the system would benefit from people that wanted to be there.

Maybe we could tie it to unemployment, and have people getting UC benefits serve. They would not be missing work, and would have something better to do than watching Maury & Oprah.

So you want the terminally unemployed serving on juries?

I'd rather see some well educated critical thinkers.

and people with gumption. Not to mention my peer is not an unemployed bum.

No, I said I'd like it tied to unemployment, not welfare.

Unemployed people are not necessarily uneducated. Most are just between jobs, let go by economic conditions. They are not suffering from a terminal condition.

Most, but not all, of welfare recipients are multi-generational mooches. They are the ones I wouldn't want within 400 kilometers of a jury box. They would let every criminal off that was on welfare and sucking off the government teat, like they are.

Some good posts in here. Has me thinking. I think maybe it would be a good idea to have some better organization to jury duty...rather then bedlam as it is now.

Jurors as a profession is not bad...if details could be worked. Not bad at all.

Jury duty is mandatory in New York. I recently served on one and was glad for the experience.

Voting should be mandatory too.

Some good posts in here. Has me thinking. I think maybe it would be a good idea to have some better organization to jury duty...rather then bedlam as it is now.

Jurors as a profession is both a bad idea and unconstitutional. we are entitled to a jury of our peers. Our peers are not legal professionals (well in most cases anyway) the COTUS is clear that we are supposed to be entitled to a jury made up of members of the general public. Not a specific group designated solely for that purpose.

Jurors as a profession is both a bad idea and unconstitutional. we are entitled to a jury of our peers. Our peers are not legal professionals (well in most cases anyway) the COTUS is clear that we are supposed to be entitled to a jury made up of members of the general public. Not a specific group designated solely for that purpose.
Not only all of that, it opens up the door to corruption.

I don't mind jury duty. I've sat on two jury's. One was an attempted murder/rape case. The dude was a gang member with a record a mile long. He basically received nothing but slaps on the wrist through the years.......It felt quite good helping to put his sorry ass away for the rest of his life.

GMAB! You really think we get jurors of our peers?? Don't make me laugh.

Not only all of that, it opens up the door to corruption.

I don't mind jury duty. I've sat on two jury's. One was an attempted murder/rape case. The dude was a gang member with a record a mile long. He basically received nothing but slaps on the wrist through the years.......It felt quite good helping to put his sorry ass away for the rest of his life.

Will this will be 5 for me. And I really REALLY doubt there could be much more corruption in the court system. :lol:

Forum List

Back