Should Islamic Marriages be recognized in the US?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by theHawk, Jun 29, 2011.

1. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,799
    Considering marriage in Islam is often just a "contract" between the man and his wife/wives, and sometimes those marriages are only temporary, should they be legally recognized?

Especially considering polygamy is illegal in the US, how can any government, Federal or State, give recognition to such "marriages"?

In these "contracts" the Muslim woman essentially gives up all her rights. She doesn't need to be present for a wedding or a divorce, and adultry commited by the man is not considered grounds for divorce on the woman's part. In fact, in Islam a married woman cannot technically be raped, she must have sex with the husband whenever he wants it.

To top it off, there is no age limit in Islam for marriage. It is perfectly legal to marry under-aged girls. Their great Prophet, Muhammed, in fact married a 6-year old.

Islamic Law of Marriage

Is this what liberals will be pressing for once they get "gay marriage" fully recognized?

2. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    Well some of those things don't sound like she has much consent to the contract. If she signs a document of her own free will that says she can't terminate the marriage if the hubby is chasing after burkas with higher thread counts, that's her deal.

The argument for gay marriage has been about two consenting adults, which rules out a mentally-retarded vegetable child in a toaster, or whatever slope the opponents try to conjure up. If there are elements of Islamic marriage law that ignore or prevent consent from either party, I don't believe those elements should be recognized by our courts.

3. theHawk

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,799
    The "arguement for gay marriage" has never been that its about "two consenting adults". If that were the case then why wouldn't "three consenting adults" have their poligamy marriages recognized? Or for that matter "five consenting adults" as can be found in Islam?

4. nitroz

nitroz INDEPENDENTly ruthless

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Yes. Because they have the right to marry aswell.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,188
    I don't see why their marriage shouldnt be recognized as long as they comply with the laws of the state as with everyone else.

6. theHawk

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,799
    They don't comply with our laws for the reasons I listed and many more.

For some reason it is very difficult to find information on this, but it seems that many courts as of now do not recognize the "contracts" between Muslim men and their wives, especially since most of those 'marriages' are done overseas in the middle east.

I think this is an important topic because I believe this is how Muslims and their liberal apologists will push for Sharia Law to be recognized in our courts.

7. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Why not? We allow marriage between same-sex couples, so why not just throw out all the rules and be done with it? Wanna marry your horse.... Go right ahead. Wanna marry 4 other people.... Go right ahead. Wanna marry your 12 year old cousin who you've never met..... Go right ahead.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything; and that's where I think we are on the marriage issue here in the United States at this point.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Islam inside our boarders must follow our laws.

so more than one wife it out
    under 18 is out
    rape is out
    as well as anything else that would break our laws

Our laws may void an islamic marriage if it occured outside our boundreis, if they came here to live.

It would be nice if islam would move into the 18th century so we would have a better chance of getting along.

9. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    We have contract laws. And one of those laws is the ability to consent. Basically you must be able to fully understand what's going on.

So horses are out, but many wives are in.

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    no no no... They are muslim and, thus, their ****** practices aren't valid. come on.