should incest be legal?

should incest be legal between 2 consenting adults

• yes

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • no

Votes: 27 77.1%

• Total voters
For argument sake.

Other than the EEEEEWWWW factor. If brother and sister are past the age of having children or could not have children. How would their marrying harm anyone else?

Last edited:
Wow! I guess I need to hit the button again.

I don't think I wanted to know that.

why exactly would you want to restrict people from commiting act in their own privacy that effects no other people?

If children are involved it does impact others.

I dunno why would I want to set my hair on fire and run down the street?
Makes as much sense to me.
Does sex always result in childbirth?
I can see why those who believe that children born of incest are at a risk for birth defects might be in favor of laws punishing those who give birth to them, but the sex act itself is nobodies business but that of the adults having sex.

Also, are people who want to prevent children of incest from being born, promoting eugenics? Sounds like it to me.

So many hilarious replies to this thread, no wonder I like USMB.
XOTOXI
is it illegal?
:lol:
Ringel05
You're from West Virginia, aren't you.
And others........

At any rate my views on incest is, it's wrong, should always be illegal and is basically a little sick.
Unless your trying to keep it in the family to produce new 'family of politicians' for future positions in Washington D.C. But we have enough of those now, thank you. :eek:

IF you support Gay sex and the Gay life style and use the phrase "it is between two consenting adults" or use love, then why would you be opposed to incest between two consenting adults that love one another?

By the way? The chance for an abnormal birth between them would be infinitesimal, it only becomes a problem if you inbred for Generations. We have people with KNOWN defects that are 50 percent and no one prevents them from having children.

A couple of things here:

1. The point is that it increases the chances for birth defects, etc. Those people with a 50% chance would now have a higher chance to produce deformities when the genes are reinforced.

and

2. If you allow incest, situations occur where older members of the family take advantage of the situation, and screwed-up relationships occur, sometimes very early in life. Making it not a situation "between two consenting adults".

There is enough evidence about the risks through generations for it to remain illegal. One only need look to communities where it was historically accepted to understand why it's a bad thing. So, no.... it shouldn't be legal.
What about incest between people who are genetically related but who don't know it? What if the girl next door is actually your step sister because dad fooled around?

There is enough evidence about the risks through generations for it to remain illegal. One only need look to communities where it was historically accepted to understand why it's a bad thing. So, no.... it shouldn't be legal.

I would argue the same about Gay sex. It leads to a diminishing gene pool and potential death of an entire species. Further it is associated with all manner of nasty diseases.
:cuckoo:

So is heterosexual sex. Syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis and believe it or not, HIV.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
What about incest between people who are genetically related but who don't know it? What if the girl next door is actually your step sister because dad fooled around?

Really? How many cases of incest do you figure this applies to?

Really? How many cases of incest do you figure this applies to?
Is there anyway of knowing? But according to new DNA studies, infidelity occurs more frequently among species previously considered to be monogamous. You also have to consider that closed adoptions and sperm donor anonymity also make it impossible for people to know who their genetic siblings or cousins might be.

Is there anyway of knowing? But according to new DNA studies, infidelity occurs more frequently among species previously considered to be monogamous. You also have to consider that closed adoptions and sperm donor anonymity also make it impossible for people to know who their genetic siblings or cousins might be.

Well in cases such as this, rare as they may be, I assume that the fact that you didn't know you were committing incest would be taken into account.

Also, how would authorities ever find out? Doctor patient confidentiality would cover any reporting of genetic data.

It should not have to be illegal, but unfortunately is does have to be.

I of course voted no and I am from eastern KY.

Your family tree would look like a brillo pad.

If you had a son by your mother would he be your son or brother?

how do the bolded two justify making it illegal and why does it have to be?

All I can say is wow.

You libs sure are a sick crowd.

Well in cases such as this, rare as they may be, I assume that the fact that you didn't know you were committing incest would be taken into account.

Also, how would authorities ever find out? Doctor patient confidentiality would cover any reporting of genetic data.
My point is that there are more children born of incest than we are aware of. So we can't really know how many birth defects actually result from incest or if it causes more defects than other known dangers such as drinking alchohol or poor nutrition during pregnancy, either parent being over a certain age, etc. There are so many risk factors for birth defects in every union. Where do you lay the line to determine what is to be permitted and what isn't? Should we have laws governing who can have sex with who based on eugenics?

then she wouldn't be your step sister. She would be your half sister.

then she wouldn't be your step sister. She would be your half sister.
Right. Thanks.

It should not have to be illegal, but unfortunately is does have to be.

I of course voted no and I am from eastern KY.

Your family tree would look like a brillo pad.

If you had a son by your mother would he be your son or brother?

how do the bolded two justify making it illegal and why does it have to be?

All I can say is wow.

You libs sure are a sick crowd.

another useless poster

IF you support Gay sex and the Gay life style and use the phrase "it is between two consenting adults" or use love, then why would you be opposed to incest between two consenting adults that love one another?

By the way? The chance for an abnormal birth between them would be infinitesimal, it only becomes a problem if you inbred for Generations. We have people with KNOWN defects that are 50 percent and no one prevents them from having children.

A couple of things here:

1. The point is that it increases the chances for birth defects, etc. Those people with a 50% chance would now have a higher chance to produce deformities when the genes are reinforced.

and

2. If you allow incest, situations occur where older members of the family take advantage of the situation, and screwed-up relationships occur, sometimes very early in life. Making it not a situation "between two consenting adults".

Once again IDIOT, incest only is a factor after generations of inbreeding. We already have laws concerning the second part. Once a person is an adult, say 18, they should have all the same rights as everyone else. If you INSIST on making gay sex normal and Gay marriage an option then you have no grounds to deny incest amongst consenting adults. Not because of non existent birth defects and not because YOU don't like it.

Once again IDIOT, incest only is a factor after generations of inbreeding.

Sigh, again with the useless invective.

From the Wiki:

A 1994 study found a mean excess mortality with inbreeding at the first cousin level of 4.4%. At any rate,the degenerative effects of inbreeding will only be significantly fatal after more than two or more repeated incest cases, and that varies depending on the number and quality of inherited congenital disorders of which the family members may be carriers.

And that's just at the cousin level. It stands to reason that at the brother/sister level, the reinforcement of harmful genetic combinations would be even more pronounced.

We already have laws concerning the second part. Once a person is an adult, say 18, they should have all the same rights as everyone else. If you INSIST on making gay sex normal and Gay marriage an option then you have no grounds to deny incest amongst consenting adults. Not because of non existent birth defects and not because YOU don't like it.

In addition, if incest were to be legalized, eventually we WOULD have "generations of inbreeding".

Just an FYI in basics: The reason inbreeding is bad for a species is because relatives share similar DNA. All DNA of species contain genetic mutations. The closer the relationship in breeding, the closer the similarities in DNA, the more chances that genetic mutations are passed onto offspring.

Forum List

Back