Should Illinois hold a special election for Obama's senate seat?

Should Illinois hold a special election for Obama's senate seat?

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Caligirl

Oh yes it is too!
Aug 25, 2008
It would cost upwards of 30 million dollars.

A yes vote is if you think this is the best option. A no vote is if you think some other option (your choice) is better.

Yes, the normal process has been destroyed by the Govenor of Illinois. $30 million is not a high price to pay for assurance of someone that most of the people want.

no, they should follow their state constitution.

first they should remove that crooked governor and allow the Lt Governor to assume the top spot and let HIM do the appointment
no need for a knee jerk reaction and special laws

As of yet, I agree with DiveCon. If it is shown that the corruption has pervaded and permeated the government of Illinois, major and drastic measures will have to be put into action.

As of yet, I agree with DiveCon. If it is shown that the corruption has pervaded and permeated the government of Illinois, major and drastic measures will have to be put into action.
i have no doubts the corruption in the state of IL is quite deep, however, they still have a constitution to follow

i have no doubts the corruption in the state of IL is quite deep, however, they still have a constitution to follow
If the constitution calls for the Lt. governor to appoint someone, but he is also corrupt, how valid do you think his judgment would be? They need to find the highest ranking person who is not corrupt, or take major action.

If the constitution calls for the Lt. governor to appoint someone, but he is also corrupt, how valid do you think his judgment would be? They need to find the highest ranking person who is not corrupt, or take major action.
well, the corruption could be so deep they have no one left to appoint
:lol:
but i have not heard anything that says the Lt Gov is corrupt, yet

If it is shown? Haven't you been reading the newpapers?

I think the state of Illinois will be able to appoint Obama's replacement without having an election.

Whomsoever takes over from Blago will do just fine.

The State has a Constitution. THAT determines the procedure. No special election should occur if the Constitution does not provide for one. If they want one, CHANGE the Constitution. Again using the Constitution to effect the change.

We do not get to ignore the Constitutions of the US or the several States when ever it is convenient or inconvenient. That way leads to oppression or anarchy.

I can see both sides but think I'll go with no. Not because of the constitutionality, although that is a good reason, but because I think it might set a bad precedent to have one, the cost falls on the taxpayers, and there must be a good alternative.

I said yes, though now I'm not so sure. The Constitutionality argument is persuasive. Although, all House vacancies are filled by special election. They will have to have one for Rahm. If they have to impeach Blago, Illinois will have to be without a Senator for some extended period of time.

Not that I particularly mind, since they will probably put another Dem in, but they should not have their ability to be represented thwarted by their corrupt governor. I think in this circumstance, the state house should work out a plan with the Senate (who has the right to determine its members) a plan acceptable to both and pass whatever needed legislation, so this one time for exigent circumstances, direct election can be used rather than appointment. Or they could go back to the old rule and the State Senate could appoint the Senator. Again, all of this should only be done if there is to be an impeachment proceeding. Otherwise, probably leaving to the Lt. Gov. after he is made governor is the appropriate thing.

The evidence against the governor is compelling, but isn't he innocent until proven guilty? This is getting ridiculous. The people who are trying to get him to step down are only doing it because they don't want their party to look bad. If I were him, I wouldn't resign.

no, they should follow their state constitution.

first they should remove that crooked governor and allow the Lt Governor to assume the top spot and let HIM do the appointment
no need for a knee jerk reaction and special laws

The Lt. govenor is extremely close to the govenor. He was appointed by the govenor. How in the world could you possibly assume that he is trustworthy?

A special election is needed to clean up the crooked politics in Illinois.

The Lt. govenor is extremely close to the govenor. He was appointed by the govenor. How in the world could you possibly assume that he is trustworthy?

A special election is needed to clean up the crooked politics in Illinois.
you think that just one special election would fix it?

btw, Lt Governor Pat Quin RAN for the office and was elected
he was not appointed
he did run on the same ticket as blago but in the primaries it was seperate
blago did NOT appoint him to that office

i go with letting the state work it out with their own procedures...no need to be spending 30 million to elect a corrupt politician when you can appoint one a lot damned cheaper

Forum List

Back