Should I buy a ticket to Alaska to see the northern lights?

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
So a few months ago I started posting here at a way higher rate than normal. It's because I broke up with a girlfriend of over 4 years in September.

Would it be crazy for a single guy to fly alone to Alaska? Is that acceptable in society? Of all the things on my bucket list seeing the northern lights is #1. But I always imagined I'd share the experience with a loved one. Should I just go for it? The next 3 months is the best time of year to do it :dunno:

You certainly don't need to go that far just for the aurora borealis. I saw 'em frequently when I lived in Vermont; also pretty spectacular displays in Montana. You just need to catch 'em at the right time, which is when we're getting hit by solar flares.

So here's your plan -- go north, somewhere. like 43-45°N or more. Someplace interesting - Québec. Upper Michigan. Montana. Second - check spaceweather.com for solar flares and sync with a clear-sky night. Third- gaze in wonder. Oh and then fourth, flip on an AM radio. What you'll prolly hear is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (pure electronic noise). On the other hand if you flip on a radio and hear that, it might be a sign of aurora.

Of course you can always go to Alaska for other stuff and enjoy the aurora IF it comes.

You know what's supposed to be a great spot for Aurora? Greenland. :thup:

When I worked in radio in Vermont I'd be locked in the studio and somebody would call and say "hey, the Lights are up" -- I'd go outside and have a look to verify, and then pass it on. Happened quite a few times.

When I was a kid I saw the AB in Pennsylvania. And reportedly it creeped as far south as here in North Carolina (so they say, I didn't see it). But that's unusual at that latitude. But 45 or so should be plenty north.

Maine's nice.

Oddly I never saw it in Nova Scotia, all the time I spent there -- but then you rarely get a clear night there with all the water around it, so you want a place that will offer clear nights.

I don't know about there being a "best time of year" btw. I've seen spectacular Aurora in summers. It doesn't really have a season. You don't have to do it in the cold.

Spaceweather.com has some great Aurora pics btw. Gallery page here.

Last edited:
  • Banned
You certainly don't need to go that far just for the aurora borealis. I saw 'em frequently when I lived in Vermont; also pretty spectacular displays in Montana. You just need to catch 'em at the right time, which is when we're getting hit by solar flares.

So here's your plan -- go north, somewhere. like 43-45°N or more. Someplace interesting - Québec. Upper Michigan. Montana. Second - check spaceweather.com for solar flares and sync with a clear-sky night. Third- gaze in wonder. Oh and then fourth, flip on an AM radio. What you'll prolly hear is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (pure electronic noise). On the other hand if you flip on a radio and hear that, it might be a sign of aurora.

Of course you can always go to Alaska for other stuff and enjoy the aurora IF it comes.

When I worked in radio in Vermont I'd be locked in the studio and somebody would call and say "hey, the Lights are up" -- I'd go outside and have a look to verify, and then pass it on. Happened quite a few times.

When I was a kid I saw the AB in Pennsylvania. And reportedly it creeped as far south as here in North Carolina (so they say, I didn't see it). But that's unusual at that latitude. But 45 or so should be plenty north.

Maine's nice.

Oddly I never saw it in Nova Scotia, all the time I spent there -- but then you rarely get a clear night there with all the water around it, so you want a place that will offer clear nights.
I'll go anywhere to see them. I'm just at a point in my life right now where I'm ready to pack up and go wherever I have the best shot. You think Greenland would be better than Alaska?

Maine's nice.

I'll go anywhere to see them. I'm just at a point in my life right now where I'm ready to pack up and go wherever I have the best shot. You think Greenland would be better than Alaska?

Yeah actually I do. I don't remember where I saw the map but there are certain hot spots where it shows more than others, and Greenland was a hot spot. Probably Norway too IIRC. Alaska -- not so much, although northerliness is much more important that east- or westerlieness.

I always regretted that I had a flight layover in Rekjavik but didn't take time there. That would be a fascinating place. Definitely far enough north.

Of course there are other natural phenomena you can go see closer to home, maybe lesser known. Just up the road from me are the (not so) famous "Brown Mountain Lights". There's this ledge where you can stand in late afternoon and gaze across the gorge. On the other side of the gorge is a mountain. That's it, just a mountain, nothing special. As the sun sets you start to see mysterious lights light up and dance around, sometimes moving around. By dark it looks like a whole city sprang up across the gorge. No one knows exactly why, but it's been reported since way before there was electricity....

:ack-1:

Of course there are other natural phenomena you can go see closer to home, maybe lesser known. Just up the road from me are the (not so) famous "Brown Mountain Lights". There's this ledge where you can stand in late afternoon and gaze across the gorge. On the other side of the gorge is a mountain. That's it, just a mountain, nothing special. As the sun sets you start to see mysterious lights light up and dance around, sometimes moving around. By dark it looks like a whole city sprang up across the gorge. No one knows exactly why, but it's been reported since way before there was electricity....

:ack-1:
Moonshiners.

So a few months ago I started posting here at a way higher rate than normal. It's because I broke up with a girlfriend of over 4 years in September.

Would it be crazy for a single guy to fly alone to Alaska? Is that acceptable in society? Of all the things on my bucket list seeing the northern lights is #1. But I always imagined I'd share the experience with a loved one. Should I just go for it? The next 3 months is the best time of year to do it :dunno:
Asking strangers on some obscure forum. Is this for real? If you want to go buy a freaking ticket and go.

I went to Alaska on vacation in the summer of 1996. In the middle of the state, in Fairbanks, it was more than 80 degrees F. In Juneau, it was -3 F - on the same day. I took the one road that travels to "North Pole" - a little touristy town and had a good time, until someone stole my camera. That sucked. But I also had a couple of very romantic evenings there with a lovely lady.... and we were too busy to be looking for the Northern Lights...

Yes, you should go and have fun. Alaska is stunningly beautiful if you just start hiking.

Asking strangers on some obscure forum. Is this for real? If you want to go buy a freaking ticket and go.

Another content-free post from a wag who comes in unarmed. Thanks for six seconds I'll never get back. :trolls:

Another content-free post from a wag who comes in unarmed. Thanks for six seconds I'll never get back. :trolls:

This is why the phrase TEMPUS FUGIT really DOES mean something!!!

Here's the NOAA 30-minute aurora forecast ... covers both borealis (north pole) and australis (south)

Looks like at the moment the best place to watch is northern Manitoba/Saskatchewan although there isn't a great deal going on right now.

Hey, check the same map right now and all the glory is over Iceland. I'm tellin' ya, that's the place to go. Also demonstrates that it doesn't take long to migrate.

Speak for yourself. We are not strangers and it is certainly not an obscure forum. What is wrong with you? Show some humanity for Buddha's sake.

LOL bless your heart. We don't even rank high enough for Alexa to track historical data. And yes you are a stranger posting on the internets. For all anyone knows you could be a 10 year old boy.

Forum List

Back