Should I Bother with Facebook?

A day late and a dollar short, PC, no matter how big and bold you make the fonts. ;)

Facebook backs down on perpetual licence
Posted Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24am AEDT

A wave of complaints from subscribers has forced social networking website Facebook to back down over changes it was planning in the ownership of personal information.

The site's co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, in a post on the company blog, said Facebook was withdrawing the change to its terms of use which included giving it "perpetual worldwide licence" to anything posted on its network.

The move sparked a backlash among users with more than 85,000 joining a Facebook group calling itself People Against the New Terms of Service.

They expressed worries that Facebook could hold on to their pictures and personal information even if they closed their accounts.

"Based on this feedback, we have decided to return to our previous terms of use while we resolve the issues that people have raised," Mr Zuckerberg said.

Facebook backs down on perpetual licence - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I was the one that made the letters big and bold Jill, but just the fact that facebook would try and keep things permanent is scary enough for me not to want anything to do with them. It was that this time. What will be the next stunt they pull with people's info? They probably feel as though hey, if people are going to put their whole life on display for the whole world to see, then why should they care if we keep their pictures and info or not? After all, you put the info there of your own free will. By law, they're entitled to it.

Last edited:
A day late and a dollar short, PC, no matter how big and bold you make the fonts. ;)

Facebook backs down on perpetual licence
Posted Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24am AEDT

A wave of complaints from subscribers has forced social networking website Facebook to back down over changes it was planning in the ownership of personal information.

The site's co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, in a post on the company blog, said Facebook was withdrawing the change to its terms of use which included giving it "perpetual worldwide licence" to anything posted on its network.

The move sparked a backlash among users with more than 85,000 joining a Facebook group calling itself People Against the New Terms of Service.

They expressed worries that Facebook could hold on to their pictures and personal information even if they closed their accounts.

"Based on this feedback, we have decided to return to our previous terms of use while we resolve the issues that people have raised," Mr Zuckerberg said.

Facebook backs down on perpetual licence - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I was the one that made the letters big and bold Jill, but just the fact that facebook would try and keep things permanent is scary enough for me not to want anything to do with them. It was that this time. What will be the next stunt they pull with people's info? They probably feel as though hey, if people are going to put their whole life on display for the whole world to see, then why should they care if we keep their pictures and info or not? After all, you put the info there of your own free will. By law, they're entitled to it.

you've posted lots of photos of yourself on this site along with other personal info. Who's to say I didn't copy a photo and have it turned into a mural for my living room wall?

I didn't, it's in the bathroom.

you've posted lots of photos of yourself on this site along with other personal info. Who's to say I didn't copy a photo and have it turned into a mural for my living room wall?

I didn't, it's in the bathroom.

And I want to know why WillowTree is sitting on your head PaleRider?

Forum List

Back