Should Government be in the Marriage business?

THE LIGHT

Silver Member
I say no. I think that for the Christians sake, marriage is between a man and a woman and their Creator. While at the same time, homosexuals should be able to have whatever unions they choose on their own as well.

I just don't think the gov. should be involved in telling either side what to do.

What say you?

It's a bit too late. The government issues licenses for marriage. Gays ought to be able to get them too.

It's a bit too late. The government issues licenses for marriage. Gays ought to be able to get them too.

Sky, I find it shocking that you don't think it is a good idea. Is it that you want to force Christians to accept the beliefs of others?

how is not discriminating against people forcing christians to accept the beliefs of others?

seems christians are the ones who want others to follow their beliefs.

btw, government IS the marriage business... marriage is a basis on which to allocate certain legal rights and obligations having nothing to do with religion.

Sky, I find it shocking that you don't think it is a good idea. Is it that you want to force Christians to accept the beliefs of others?

how is not discriminating against people forcing christians to accept the beliefs of others?

btw, government IS the marriage business... marriage is a basis on which to allocate certain legal rights and obligations having nothing to do with religion.
those things never should have been placed on marriage in the first place
how about we actually fix that and make those rights part of a civil union contract and remove government totally from marriage

Is it discriminating for Christians to force their beliefs on others?

I would "like" others to follow my Saviour's will, but I have no intent to force anyone to.

I know that it IS. That is why my post says "should...?" I want to know if you think they "should" be.

how about we actually fix that and make those rights part of a civil union contract and remove government totally from marriage

Right. Government could acknowledge the of both individuals in a legalistic business sense, but should stay out of the rest.

so only religious people should be married?

if someone is an athiest, the woman has to be asked 'will you civil union me'?

puleeze...

any two (or more people for that matter) should be allowed to enter into a legal contract called marriage.

The terms and conditions of that contract are no one's business but the people who are bound by it.

The government should not be granting different tax status to people who are married or single or to people who have kids or don't. ALL people should be taxed as citizens only

And the state should never recognize any marriage but one performed by the state. Churches have no business acting as agents of the state.

puleeze...
aagain
what ever belief system they have for marriage

and if you want the LEGAL things then you get the LEGAL documents

Marriage is contract law. When two people get married, in the eyes of the state a new 'entity' is created. States license marriage and states have a whole system of courts to dissolve that contract: divorce courts.

Churches sanctify marriages. Some churches hold marriage as a sacrament.

States create the license, churches sanctify to union.

If a church choses not to sanctify a marriage, the couple has other options like a civil ceremony. It still makes their marriage legal in the eyes of the state.

puleeze...
aagain

so you think marriage should be usurped by the religious?

puleeze...
aagain

so you think marriage should be usurped by the religious?
no
it IS a religious institution
and as such it should never have been put onto the government
and all those legal issuers should never have been put in with marriage

New Topics

Forum List

Back