Should Extreme Hater Parents Lose Custody?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Should parents ever lose custody for extreme emotional abuse? What about the parents involved with the Westboro Baptist Church....should they be allowed to teach such hatred to their children? Can people ever be so far off the reservation, mentally or emotionally, that the government should remove their children?

Should parents ever lose custody for extreme emotional abuse? What about the parents involved with the Westboro Baptist Church....should they be allowed to teach such hatred to their children? Can people ever be so far off the reservation, mentally or emotionally, that the government should remove their children?

"Extreme emotional abuse," yes. The other? Slippery slope. You picked a very reviled group, reviled for good reason. What about parents that adhere to other beliefs, that may one day be reviled, whether for good reasons or bad? Who decides what is good and bad?

"Extreme emotional abuse," yes. The other? Slippery slope. You picked a very reviled group, reviled for good reason. What about parents that adhere to other beliefs, that may one day be reviled, whether for good reasons or bad? Who decides what is good and bad?

I have to agree with Annie.

Abuse is abuse whether it is emotional or not, but you can't just start taking children away from their parents just because "you" do not approve of the beliefs of the parents.

Immie

but immie and annie ..those judgements are made daily in family courts? physical abuse what is physical abuse? i had no qualms about spanking, 3 licks and that was it...and one time i did leave a handprint? was that abusive? when he lied to me at 15 and i knew it...right cross....that shocked him...and the next question was answered honestly....but to some that is abusive...and to them i say.....dont get between me and my child...cause i wont tolerate it. i have no problem with kids living in fear of their parents...i sure the hell did.

now lets address extreme lifestyles or beliefs....gays have trouble due to lifestyles with kids and custody...so we are making a judgement there...single men have considerable troubling obtaining custody.....another lifestyle judgement.

does giving brith allow one to indoctrinate their kids to their beliefs? our society says they can. i find many religions extreme as many find mine just that. who is to judge?

but immie and annie ..those judgements are made daily in family courts? physical abuse what is physical abuse? i had no qualms about spanking, 3 licks and that was it...and one time i did leave a handprint? was that abusive? when he lied to me at 15 and i knew it...right cross....that shocked him...and the next question was answered honestly....but to some that is abusive...and to them i say.....dont get between me and my child...cause i wont tolerate it. i have no problem with kids living in fear of their parents...i sure the hell did.

now lets address extreme lifestyles or beliefs....gays have trouble due to lifestyles with kids and custody...so we are making a judgement there...single men have considerable troubling obtaining custody.....another lifestyle judgement.

does giving brith allow one to indoctrinate their kids to their beliefs? our society says they can. i find many religions extreme as many find mine just that. who is to judge?

I am not exactly sure what you mean here.

Let's take the gays you mention here. Should a mother whose husband divorces her and leaves her with three children, when she later finds a female lover, risk losing her children because of this relationship?

I don't think we should make judgment calls like that as long as the parents are not abusing their children, I do not believe we should remove children from the homes of their parents. I do not consider your description of disciplinary tactics to be abusive, however, others might. The concern is that some people might consider what you believe to be abuse and remove the child from a perfectly safe home. I don't support that at all.

Immie

a woman can lose custody for taking a lover...many custody agreements address who can and cant live in your home. men can lose custody too for the same reasons. but those are custody agreements.....

okay lets think here...has there been a case lately where a parent has lost custody due to an estreme lifestyle?

i know many argued the kid sailor and the kid climber were victims of extreme parents??

hell the balloon family got to keep their kids....now to me that whole mess was extreme....faking a childs accident what kinda parent does that?

a woman can lose custody for taking a lover...many custody agreements address who can and cant live in your home. men can lose custody too for the same reasons. but those are custody agreements.....

okay lets think here...has there been a case lately where a parent has lost custody due to an estreme lifestyle?

i know many argued the kid sailor and the kid climber were victims of extreme parents??

hell the balloon family got to keep their kids....now to me that whole mess was extreme....faking a childs accident what kinda parent does that?

Pretty slippery slope for the government to start deciding if behavior is abuse. But I think in some instances it should be. For instance, if a mom is so worthless and stupid that she can't EVER tell the truth, she apparently can't read a document and understand it, and she will never admit that she is in error, she is probably teaching her children those same bad habits. Would humanity as a whole be better served if the People were able to tell this woman " you are NOT teaching your children how to be responsible people with your bad behavior?" Perhaps, society would be better served.

I often times think that children are not taken as wards of the state often enough to set an example. My own personal belief is that the balloon family should have lost all their children, not to mention done time in jail. I think that the sailor girl in CA should have been taken from her parents.

Of course I also wonder why one needs a license to drive, or hunt, but not to be a parent, any idiot who can manage to have sex can have as many kids as they want. Quite sad.

isnt it amazing....you have to take classes for most everything...but not for parenting....and stupid people seem to like to have a lot of kids

isnt it amazing....you have to take classes for most everything...but not for parenting....and stupid people seem to like to have a lot of kids

It is amazing. and yes , the dumber people are , the more kids they seem to have. What's REALLY sad is when people take pride in raising their kids to be as stupid as they are. I pray to God every day that my children are smart enough to avoid the mistakes I have made in my life. These people teach their kids the stupid behavior.

I'm still not sure what you are trying to say.

Are you trying to say that a couple... say a couple associated with the damnable KKK, should loose their children simply because they are members of the KKK?

How about that awful organization known as the Tea Party?

Democrats?

Are you saying people should loose their kids because someone else believes they teach their children to hate?

Immie

Last edited:
This is just more of the current trend of defining abuse down. Abuse is Abuse. Abuse usually happens regardless of what the child does. yelling at or a slight whap when the kid acts like an idiot is not abuse. Hell i think it is more abusive when those touchy feely type parents let their kids get away with being complete jackasses. Sooner or later in life that crap will come back to screw them over.

So to summarize. Slapping the kid around because he is making too much noise during daddy's "beer baseball time". Oh yeah, abuse.

Giving the kid a whap cause he ingored your direction and played in the street? Not abuse in my book.

If they expose their children to physical danger (inciting a riot where kids are trampled or worse) then the govt must step in. But teaching them "hate" is not a crime. There are millions of parents who abuse, neglect, and abandon their children every day. We simply don't have enough jails. The WBBC may hate gays; but they not hate their children. Unfortunately, there are parents that do.

sometimes you have to just take action....later in the teen years....i mean he reached 6' 4" real fast...but i still considered it my duty to curtail him being a total ass....as i told my hubby...if someone doesnt tell him hes acting like a total ass..why should he stop?

he is a man now...he will make fun of me sometimes..cause of course he is bigger etc....he even makes fun of me when i am dialing the phone.....all i hear after that ...is "yes sir, i understand, i will get right on it"
then he hangs up and mocks me for calling his dad..but he get right on what ever needs to be gotten on lol

i dont get that chanel....i just dont...teaching hate....we avoided that...at all costs...sometimes we had to bite our tongues...but we wanted him to make his own decisions about things

I don't get it either hellbitch: but I've heard stories of abuse that would make your skin crawl. I have students who worship Hitler. I have students who belong to the Bloods. I have students who hate Mexicans, PRs, white people, Catholics, Jews, gays, etc. The WBBC just is more "in your face" about it. Do Muslim extremists preach hate? Do journaistos preach hate? Do Black theologians preach hate? Where do you draw the line? Slippery slope...

Forum List

Back