Should Domestic Violence be considered a "pre-existing condition"?

I had no idea that some insurance companies do this. How sickening!

Domestic violence as pre-existing condition? 8 states still allow it | McClatchy
Murray remembers three years ago when the then-Republican-controlled Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee blocked her effort to impose a federal prohibition on a 10-10 vote. All 10 who voted against her amendment were Republicans.

"Clearly, the insurance industry influenced that vote," Murray charged.

The Republicans who voted against the measure had received nearly $6 million in campaign contributions from insurance companies, health care providers, the pharmaceutical industry and health care product manufacturers in the years leading up the vote, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan group that tracks campaign contributions.

The 10 Republican senators included North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr, Georgia Sen. Johnny Isakson and Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts.

Shocking, isn't it?

I had no idea that some insurance companies do this. How sickening!

Domestic violence as pre-existing condition? 8 states still allow it | McClatchy

I can see the reasoning here. If you are in a violent relationship and continue to stay with the abuser and end up in the hospital time and time again for abuse related injuries, at what point are you bearing as much responsibility for your situation as the person inflicting the violence on you and why should the insurance company have to keep paying for it?

Take note that I am not saying that is necessarily how I feel, just that I can understand that argument being made.

I actually remember posting something about this a few months ago.

I posted this yesterday and people said they couldn't believe it. it has been like this forever. health insurance companies are the most immoral and unethical group of companies in the country. their own demise will be their fault.

I can see the reasoning here. If you are in a violent relationship and continue to stay with the abuser and end up in the hospital time and time again for abuse related injuries, at what point are you bearing as much responsibility for your situation as the person inflicting the violence on you and why should the insurance company have to keep paying for it?

Take note that I am not saying that is necessarily how I feel, just that I can understand that argument being made.

I can see the reasoning as well.

And just like with MOST preexisting conditions (like cancer, diabetes, birth defects) it is not necessarily the beneficiary's fault that they have them...they were just dealt a bad break.

However, this would be the only situation that I could think of where the beneficiary would be penalized because they were the victim of a CRIME.

Forum List

Back