Should diplomats be exempt from property taxes?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Like all property owners, foreign governments were required to pay taxes on homes for their consular staffs before the Obama Administration changed the policy, though they were exempt from being taxed on diplomatic offices. Many foreign governments simply blew it off over the years, racking up more than $260 million in unpaid taxes and interest.

As a federal lawmaker representing the area Clinton supported city officials in pursuing the money, but as Secretary of State she decided that foreign governments no longer need to pay tax on embassy apartments. So last June the State Department rescinded the century-old law requiring the diplomats to pay property taxes like the rest of Americans.

Clinton Rule Exempting U.N. Diplomats From Taxes Prevails | Judicial Watch

It's not like NYC needs the money or anything. :evil:

Like all property owners, foreign governments were required to pay taxes on homes for their consular staffs before the Obama Administration changed the policy, though they were exempt from being taxed on diplomatic offices. Many foreign governments simply blew it off over the years, racking up more than $260 million in unpaid taxes and interest.

As a federal lawmaker representing the area Clinton supported city officials in pursuing the money, but as Secretary of State she decided that foreign governments no longer need to pay tax on embassy apartments. So last June the State Department rescinded the century-old law requiring the diplomats to pay property taxes like the rest of Americans.

do you know what taxes OUR diplomats are required to pay in other countries? you know, for our military bases and such? or what other interests were at stake?

just wondering... you know... since you do the hack thing so well.

Last edited:

do you know what taxes OUR diplomats are required to pay in other countries? you know, for our military bases and such? or what other interests were at stake?

just wondering... you know... since you do the hack thing so well.

Sorry, mo chara..... but WTF does that mean? Your point (and I think you are trying to make one) is lost. Could you reword is so I know whether I agree with you or not. Thanks.

There are back taxes owed. Even if jillian thinks this a wonderful change in policy, :cuckoo: since when do we grant tax amnesty backdated 20 years?

What about those diplomats and countries that have complied with the law? Should they get a refund?

There are back taxes owed. Even if jillian thinks this a wonderful change in policy, :cuckoo: since when do we grant tax amnesty backdated 20 years?

What about those diplomats and countries that have complied with the law? Should they get a refund?

I didn't say it's a 'wonderful change in policy', so don't lie. what i said is that per usual, you are uninformed and knee jerk to assume the 'other side' is wrong.

lying is ugly. you should stop doing that.

as for refund... i don't know. should all people who paid reagan's tax increases get a refund?

Forum List

Back