Should cigarettes be made illegal??

they are killers............................

Not in my opinion. What consenting adults choose to do with their own bodies should not be anyone else's business. Just as importantly, no one should be made to pay for other's choices. Smoke 'em if you like, but pay for your own damn healthcare.

Why should people with AIDS get their health care paid for? They can pay for their own healthcare too.

Not in my opinion. What consenting adults choose to do with their own bodies should not be anyone else's business. Just as importantly, no one should be made to pay for other's choices. Smoke 'em if you like, but pay for your own damn healthcare.

It's the same thing as so many things we choose to do that are not good for us. Too much red meat, too much alcohol, too many carbs, smoking, driving too fast..we all choose our own destiny. But you do have a point.

For all the years that I smoked, I always believed that I actually enjoyed smoking. It was not until I had quit that I realized that I was just fooling myself and that my enjoyment was strictly due to fulfilling a need for my addiction. So for me, yes, I believe they should be made illegal. Of course I would grandfather the law so current smokers could continue to kill themselves, but I would ban sales to anyone born after 1994.

Who is suggesting that people don't pay for their own damn healthcare?

For all the years that I smoked, I always believed that I actually enjoyed smoking. It was not until I had quit that I realized that I was just fooling myself and that my enjoyment was strictly due to fulfilling a need for my addiction. So for me, yes, I believe they should be made illegal. Of course I would grandfather the law so current smokers could continue to kill themselves, but I would ban sales to anyone born after 1994.

You disapprove, so you want to ban it. Have you read the Constitution? Exactly where does it give the Federal Government the right decide what's good for 'we, the people'. Can you please stop trying to force other people to live your way. TIA.

Illegal? What, like how weed is illegal? LOL, you make funny.

Damn good point. The most sure-fire way to guarantee kids smoking and lots more un-taxed revenue for gangsters and thugs is Prohibition.

Outside of your basic authoritarian regime, Prohibition does NOT work.

...yes, I believe they should be made illegal. Of course I would grandfather the law so current smokers could continue to kill themselves, but I would ban sales to anyone born after 1994.

Spoken like a true central planner...hall monitor...self-appointed cop, whatever.

So much for freedom...

The job of a government in a free society with regards to these issues ends at education, otherwise crime begins to pay and pay handsomely.

Current social laws are living proof that America is anything but 'free'.

but then who will pay for childrens' health care programs.....? smokers deserve a medal....

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I think cigarette smokers deserve a medal. They're single-handedly taking all this abuse. They're being forced outside to all of the extremes of weather to engage in their addiction, their habit. Furthermore, they are funding children's health care programs, and yet they are targeted as the absolute most despicable people in our culture. But without them and their purchases of tobacco products there wouldn't be the money to fund children's health care programs, and I don't care how that makes you feel, that is an irrefutable reality.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2..._programs_for_kids_not_government_persecution

Last edited:
They will never ban cigarettes. There's too much tax money to be collected by selling them. In spite of what the government says about them being bad for you, and in spite of all the crazy labels they make the cigarette companies put on the packages, they will never ban them because they want your money.

Yeah, BBD, "they" want to promote smoking to increase tax revenues. That is why "they" have made it more and more inconvenient for smokers over the past 30 years. Because it is good for revenues. Makes perfect sense.

So much for freedom...

The job of a government in a free society with regards to these issues ends at education, otherwise crime begins to pay and pay handsomely.

Current social laws are living proof that America is anything but 'free'.

Not the job of 'a government'... but certainly the job of 'our government'.... it's all in that Constitution thing we like to trample all over.

I'm up for legalizing drugs.... as long as I do not carry any financial obligation for those who suffer the consequences of their stupid actions. Likewise with smokers... I'll defend their right to smoke... and certainly for them to be allowed to smoke in any outside space.... as long as I'm not picking up the tab for any consequences.

Forum List

Back