Should churches opposed to gay marriage get the same tax breaks?

Should churches opposed to gay marriage get the same tax breaks?

• Yes, govt cannot discriminate against religious beliefs of churches that are legal to practice

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No, that type of discrimination violates laws, so religious freedom is no justification for it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No churches should get special tax breaks but should be treated as other nonprofits or businesses

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other please specify and explain in your own words

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Religion is a business, it's a scamming business getting money from the gullible, but it's a business just the same, thus all religious organizations should be taxed.
Incorrect for the most part. Sure, some do run it for profit, but you are seeking to punish all for the actions of a few. That's like banning all guns because of a few assholes.

I was about to check your "yes" answer. I did not because there are churches that espouse beliefs/practices that violate our secular laws. One absolutely can and should "discriminate" against such organizations, at least to the extent they advocate their members to do so, and to the extent the church "officially" itself may do so.

I would have answered "yes" had the content of the "yes" answer were constrained to the context of the thread's title question.

When did being an atheist become grounds for tax exemption?

I'm not certain but probably when the SCOTUS determined that atheism is a religion.
No
It has occasionally been argued that in Torcaso v. Watkins the Supreme Court "found" secular humanism to be a religion. This assertion is based on a reference, by Justice Black in footnote number 11 of the Court's finding, to court cases where organized groups of self-identified humanists, or ethicists, meeting on a regular basis to share and celebrate their beliefs, have been granted religious-based tax exemptions.[4][5]

Justice Black's use of the term "secular humanism" in his footnote has been seized upon by some religious groups, such as those supporting causes such as teaching creationism in schools, as a "finding" that any secular or science-based activity is, in fact, religion.[6]

When did being an atheist become grounds for tax exemption?
It's a religious belief so, as long as they comply with the requirements, they're good to go.

Tax Information for Churches and Religious Organizations

Atheism isn't a religious belief, even if you want it to be.
It's not fact nor science. It's a belief about something unprovable.

It's lack of belief.

Atheism isn't a lack of a belief. It's a specific belief that there is no God.

No it's not.

Forum List

Back