should christmas be removed from the list of federal and state recognized holidays?

should christmas be removed as a holiday

• Total voters
But as an employer it would seem to be an Establishment Clause violation cause they now have to pay people time and a half because its a religious holiday. Christmas shouldnt be a federal holiday just like Eid al-Adha or Hanukkah shouldnt be. Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, etc are a different story and perfectly acceptable.
A federal holiday simply means federal employees get the day off. States are free to do as they choose and mandate their own state holidays...and give their state employees the day off.

so you support the christmas holiday or not? if you do, why would it ever be an issue whether someone sings carols or not? seems odd to have a federal holiday, yet not be able to discuss it, sing about it etc...in the workplace, school etc....
I'd like to see more federal holidays, not less. I wasn't around when it was made a federal holiday and I have no interest in it not being a holiday. Heck, it would be nice to have the entire month of Ramadan off.

As to singing or discussing Christmas in school or work, you are certainly free to do that. What you aren't free to do is mandate that everyone at school be exposed to religious music.

A federal holiday simply means federal employees get the day off. States are free to do as they choose and mandate their own state holidays...and give their state employees the day off.

so you support the christmas holiday or not? if you do, why would it ever be an issue whether someone sings carols or not? seems odd to have a federal holiday, yet not be able to discuss it, sing about it etc...in the workplace, school etc....
I'd like to see more federal holidays, not less. I wasn't around when it was made a federal holiday and I have no interest in it not being a holiday. Heck, it would be nice to have the entire month of Ramadan off.

As to singing or discussing Christmas in school or work, you are certainly free to do that. What you aren't free to do is mandate that everyone at school be exposed to religious music.

did you vote in the poll?

and...great....because i know of no initiative that states everyone at school be exposed to religious music....you seem to agree then that students are free to sing christmas carols at school....odd, given you called people assholes/idiots in the other thread...

i find it puzzling that most here seem to want to keep christmas...yet many have a real issue with allowing an opportunity to sing christmas carols....i thought maybe it was because thought that christmas should be taken off the list as it original was and really is a religious holiday. it has no doubt taken on culture and heritage characteristics....still.....CHRISTmas is primarily a religious holiday....

i don't understand allowing the holiday, but not allowing the opportunity for carols, christmas scenes etc....IMO, the holiday either needs to be clarified

Thinking of an Islamic conversion perhaps? Me? I don't think that signing up for a violent religion that kills everything that doesn't agree with it just because they have a month off is a good reason to convert.

Much easier to just move to Europe, where EVERYONE takes a month off every year! They call it "holiday", and it generally runs from June to August/September.

Think of it.........one month off........and you don't even have to wear a black diaper on your head!

Well, Yurt, I can't be blamed because you are too retarded to understand the proposed legislation. It will never get off the ground simply because it is unconstitutional.

But have fun with your delusions.

Thinking of an Islamic conversion perhaps? Me? I don't think that signing up for a violent religion that kills everything that doesn't agree with it just because they have a month off is a good reason to convert.

Much easier to just move to Europe, where EVERYONE takes a month off every year! They call it "holiday", and it generally runs from June to August/September.

Think of it.........one month off........and you don't even have to wear a black diaper on your head!
No, the last religion I'd ever convert to is Islam. I cannot stand the religion. But as long as we get a Christian holiday off, why not get one from each major religion?

Well, Yurt, I can't be blamed because you are too retarded to understand the proposed legislation. It will never get off the ground simply because it is unconstitutional.

But have fun with your delusions.

another nothing post by ravi....simply calling people stupid and claiming, with zero debate, how the initiative is unconstitional.....

why do i even bother trying to have discussions with you, its clear you are incapable of engaging in a rational discussion....and i've asked you probably half a dozen times now....yet you continue this moronic hack behavior....

yeah, you're right ravi, just because you say so, i'm convinced :cuckoo:

I've always thought Christmas should be moved to March, so instead of ushering in 3 months of winter it would usher in springtime!! Move Easter to December.

What is really retarded is the fact that most Christians think Christ had anything to do with the origins of Christmas.

you're right, not retarded though....but many christians have co-opted that day in remembrence....and the federal and state holiday list describes christmas as about jesus christ.....

the government pays workers for the religious holiday and requires private employers to pay time and a half.....

There should be a list of about 10 federally recognized holidays and workers allowed to choose which 5 or 6 they want to take each year.

not a bad idea, but it would probably create havoc with schedules, services etc.....

should christmas be removed from the list of federal and state recognized holidays? i no of no other holiday that people get so tizzy about, especially if you want to allow people the opportunity to sing traditional carols....

perhaps it is about removing it as a federal and state holiday....

No.

If you're going to remove Christmas, then next you'll be removing Thanksgiving, Easter, and from there comes Memorial Day, Labor Day, and every other date on the calendar.

Why? If one doesn't like it, perhaps one should move somewhere the calendar is more to their liking.

should christmas be removed from the list of federal and state recognized holidays? i no of no other holiday that people get so tizzy about, especially if you want to allow people the opportunity to sing traditional carols....

No.

If you're going to remove Christmas, then next you'll be removing Thanksgiving, Easter, and from there comes Memorial Day, Labor Day, and every other date on the calendar.

Why? If one doesn't like it, perhaps one should move somewhere the calendar is more to their liking.

or they could always petition their reps to get it removed....

No.

I guess that'd be one way to get me to move out of the US. :)

Take my Christmas away, and I'll make your life miserable...

No.

I guess that'd be one way to get me to move out of the US. :)

Take my Christmas away, and I'll make your life miserable...

i don't want you leave...there will never be enough votes to take christmas, a religious holiday, off any state or federal list

Forum List

Back