should christmas be removed from the list of federal and state recognized holidays?

should christmas be removed as a holiday

• Total voters

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
should christmas be removed from the list of federal and state recognized holidays? i no of no other holiday that people get so tizzy about, especially if you want to allow people the opportunity to sing traditional carols....

perhaps it is about removing it as a federal and state holiday....

should christmas be removed from the list of federally and state recognized holidays?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No...we should just take away your christmas.

NO, for one it would companies an excuse not pay employees time and half if they have to work on the Holiday.

no. In fact, I think that other religion's holy days should be added to the list of federal holidays.

should christmas be removed from the list of federal and state recognized holidays? i no of no other holiday that people get so tizzy about, especially if you want to allow people the opportunity to sing traditional carols....

perhaps it is about removing it as a federal and state holiday....

Sure, stores and such stay open now for the most part anyways. Might as well.

Should we ban Christmas from federal and state holidays?

Yes.

Why? Simple......we are a Christian nation (at least according to some on this board), so why should we celebrate a pagan bastardization of a Jewish teacher's birthday, that the Catholic church didn't get right in the first place, because they wanted to appease the pagans?

Let's just remove most federal and state functions first and see how that goes.

NO, for one it would companies an excuse not pay employees time and half if they have to work on the Holiday.

But as an employer it would seem to be an Establishment Clause violation cause they now have to pay people time and a half because its a religious holiday. Christmas shouldnt be a federal holiday just like Eid al-Adha or Hanukkah shouldnt be. Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, etc are a different story and perfectly acceptable.

Yeshua (Jesus to you Christians) wasn't even born anywhere NEAR DECEMBER 25TH!

He was born closer to the end of October.

If they (the idiots celebrating Christmas on the 25th) would move His birthday back to where it actually was, then I'd support it.

Besides.....think about it.........a holiday in late fall is better than one in winter. At least in the fall you can barbecue, whereas in the winter, you're locked inside with people that you're grateful you see only once or twice a year.

But as an employer it would seem to be an Establishment Clause violation cause they now have to pay people time and a half because its a religious holiday. Christmas shouldnt be a federal holiday just like Eid al-Adha or Hanukkah shouldnt be. Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, etc are a different story and perfectly acceptable.
A federal holiday simply means federal employees get the day off. States are free to do as they choose and mandate their own state holidays...and give their state employees the day off.

This is a tough one.

I'm not sure I know anyone, at all, that doesn't celebrate Christmas and I'm in a regular circle of about 25-40 socially and have lots of family.

I guess it would be a GIGANTIC strain on the Holiday because the majority who celebrate it would then have to work...............but in principle it doesn't make much sense to keep it, being that it's Religious. Torn.

A federal holiday simply means federal employees get the day off. States are free to do as they choose and mandate their own state holidays...and give their state employees the day off.

so you support the christmas holiday or not? if you do, why would it ever be an issue whether someone sings carols or not? seems odd to have a federal holiday, yet not be able to discuss it, sing about it etc...in the workplace, school etc....

You know........I had to work around 15 or 17 of the 20 Christmases that I'd spent in the Navy.

Most of the time I volunteered to work, because I knew that way I'd have New Years Eve off.

But, think about this......it's really kinda ironic that Christians today are screaming about putting the Christ back in Christmas, when originally, He never was there in the first place!

The Catholic church, after failing to be able to ban a pagan festival called "Saturnalia", suddenly consulted their books again, and lo and behold, they discovered that Yeshua was born on December 25th.

Putting it on the Winter Solstice made it easier to sell to the pagans, and it also cut down on the Saturnalia festivities, as now people were spending their time in church, rather than running up and down the streets, caroling and burning bonfires made with Yule logs.

Kinda explains a lot eh? Christmas is yet another Catholic lie.

I don't care about christmas. I'm not a christian. I celebrate the solstice. But I realize there are a lot of christians in this country, so I have no problem with them taking it off as a holiday. The Jewish people take off on their holidays even though they are not national holidays. Anyway, it's nice to have 2 days off regardless.... I mean, non-believers don't get a holiday, so...

Forum List

Back