Should CEO's be held accountable for stupid policys? IE new Bathroom policy at Target.

chuckklr98

Micro touring expert
Jan 9, 2014
LA
This guy makes fun of Target in his vid, and it got me thinking. Just how angry do the shareholders get when stocks, dividends , and profits drop due to crazy policy changes?

This guy makes fun of Target in his vid, and it got me thinking. Just how angry do the shareholders get when stocks, dividends , and profits drop due to crazy policy changes?

They may be held liable, the general rule is as follows:

1) Duty of Care – directors and officers must use care and be diligent when making decisions on behalf of the corporation and its shareholders (who are the true owners of the corporation). Directors and officers meet their duty of care if they act:

• In good faith
  • With the care of a reasonable person in like position
  • With reasonable belief their decisions are in best interest of the corporation
Corporate Fiduciary Duties | LegalMatch Law Library

If the CEO is found to have been negligent or intentionally made a poor decision he could be held liable and in some jurisdictions may be prosecuted.

Should CEO's [sic] be held accountable for stupid policys [sic]? IE new Bathroom policy at Target.

Do you understand that the CEO of a company does not have sole dictatorial power over how that company is run?

The CEO reports to a Board of Directors, which is actually the authority to set broad corporate policies. The CEO's job is to conduct the day-to-day operations of the company, in accordance with the policies set by the Board of Directors.

The Board of Directors, in turn, represent the interests of, and answer to, the owners of the company, which, in the case of a publicly-traded company like Target, would be the stockholders.

I understand all this much better than I used to, as a result of an odd path that was set before me, which resulted in me being placed on the Board of Directors of a non-profit health care provider. It's been a very enlightening and educational experience.

If Target were to discriminate against LGBTs, the business would lose far more money due to boycotts.

The Ranting, Foaming-At-The-Mouth Religious Right isn't a big Target demographic.

CEO's are held accountable by their shareholders.

If Target were to discriminate against LGBTs, the business would lose far more money due to boycotts.

The Ranting, Foaming-At-The-Mouth Religious Right isn't a big Target demographic.

LGBpbiWTF perverts, in all their myriad forms make up less than 4% of the population. The remaining 96%+, I think I can safely say, don't care nearly as much about such perverts minding their own business, as we do about creepy male perverts being allowed, under that banner, into women's restrooms with our wives, daughters, sisters, and other female loved ones. I think of us care more about any given issue, or any category of issues, where we or those about whom we care stand to be directly, adversely affected by them.

Forum List

Back