Should Cellphone companies offer tracking devices in phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
I have two teenagers, and I was actually considering getting new cellphones for them that track where they are. Basically this is because I'm scared shitless that a young man is interested in my daughter, and she's only 14, and not as communicative as she should be.

So, I called US Cellular yesterday and inquired. The girl told me that US Cellular isn't offering this feature at this time. I asked why, since I'd heard that this was the new thing for parents. She said because of privacy issues, since husbands and wives also might use this.

The problem these days is that all the kids have a cellphone, and the parents no longer get to answer the phone like in the old days. The kids are texting, sexting, and the parents don't have much of a clue as to who is interested in their daughter anymore. And, we keep in touch with our kids by cellphone. I think tracking exactly where they are is a fair option for parents to have to keep the kids honest.

So, what do you all think? I can understand them not wanting to offer it to adults on the same plan, but it makes sense for parents of teenagers, in this fast paced society, to be able to know their offspring's whereabouts.

I have two teenagers, and I was actually considering getting new cellphones for them that track where they are. Basically this is because I'm scared shitless that a young man is interested in my daughter, and she's only 14, and not as communicative as she should be.

So, I called US Cellular yesterday and inquired. The girl told me that US Cellular isn't offering this feature at this time. I asked why, since I'd heard that this was the new thing for parents. She said because of privacy issues, since husbands and wives also might use this.

The problem these days is that all the kids have a cellphone, and the parents no longer get to answer the phone like in the old days. The kids are texting, sexting, and the parents don't have much of a clue as to who is interested in their daughter anymore. And, we keep in touch with our kids by cellphone. I think tracking exactly where they are is a fair option for parents to have to keep the kids honest.

So, what do you all think? I can understand them not wanting to offer it to adults on the same plan, but it makes sense for parents of teenagers, in this fast paced society, to be able to know their offspring's whereabouts.

Why don't you purchase a lojack system and have it surgically implanted in your child's abdomen?

Well, as for your daughter's whereabouts, Middleman, I think if her phone is turned on, she can be located by the cops/cell phone company. But the underlying anxiety is what? She'll lie to you about where she's going? This bad boy will kidnap her?

Trust your gut. If you feel this boy is some sort of threat to your child, go see his Mommy and Daddy. Explain to them why you feel a bit more protective of your child than you might of a more out-going 14 year old, and state (this is my recommendation) in no uncertain terms that you will rain the Wrath Of God down on their son if he does not move along and leave your daughter alone.

You may have an angry daughter on your hands if you do this -- but imagine the alternative if you do nothing.

I approve of protective parents. I hope you make this boy and his folks pee down his/their leg(s).

Note: My advice would be different if this daughter were 17, mebbe even 16. But 14 is still a babygirl.

Actually, I met the boy yesterday. She was over at her friends, she told me that they were going to ride horses, but they also arranged for the boys to come over. Her friend's Mom and I had a good talk about our daughters, I went over and met the young man, and all's well. He was respectful and courteous. I was being a little paranoid because my daughter wasn't totally above board, but all was well.

We had a good talk in the car about the importance of being above board to foster trust, so it was a happy ending.

I didn't tell her that I was interested in tracking her movements though. :D :eek:

I think you should be able to buy such a service if you want to.

I personally wont buy a phone with any GPS, I have an old nokia brick and another old samsung flip phone. (yeah yeah get me a tin foil hat, lol)

Um, the kids have cell phones because their parents let them. My oldest (20) didn't get a cell phone until she was old enough to get a job and pay for the $60 monthly bill. She got her working papers at 15 1/2 and started working at Target. Looked into phone plans, went with Verizon and has been with them ever since. The phone/contract was in my name until she turned 18 but zero money came from us for anything.

My 13 year old wants a cell phone cause 'all the kids have them'. Bully for all the kids. She can't get into trouble texting, sexting, sending pics, etc. if she doesn't have the phone. The problem with cell phones is that the 'phone' part is the last thing most kids use. I think they provide kids with way too much freedom at too early of an age. Just my humble opinion. :)

I think it is probably not a good thing to do.

better to work on communicating and trust, than to use a gadget as a "got ya" type thing....

You are worried about her not being upfront with you, while you are not being upfront with her...

The only way I would do something like that is tell her, that the new phone is going to have this capability for safety reasons.

For a female child, a good, strong, trustful relationship with their father during early teen years is what makes girls secure enough, to be able to tell a boy, no....don't push her away, but push yourself in to her life, and don't be so scary, to where she is frightened to tell you about her relationships, but to WANT to tell you about them and bounce off her feelings and problems with "boys" with you...the only man she knows well.

Of course, the hubby and I could not have children together, so we are childless and I really have no idea on what it is like to have children and teens....other than remembering what it was like to be a teen myself, and I have read some things on child rearing.

All the best Middleman

Care

I'm so glad, Middleman. Being the Daddy of a teen kid is a bitchkitty, ain't it?

Yes it is.

So, back to the question at hand...

Some cell companies offer this service, and some don't. Do you think there is an ethical problem with it?

i phones have a gps tracker.....and you can also have all traffic routed through you home computer....i freind of mine is a computer geek and he tracks both his kids in real time via their phones....

I'm so glad, Middleman. Being the Daddy of a teen kid is a bitchkitty, ain't it?

Yes it is.

So, back to the question at hand...

Some cell companies offer this service, and some don't. Do you think there is an ethical problem with it?

i phones have a gps tracker.....and you can also have all traffic routed through you home computer....i freind of mine is a computer geek and he tracks both his kids in real time via their phones....

Do his children know that they can and are being tracked? I hope he is honest with them and all is above board, if not, then I think when he is caught, he will be the one that has taught his children how to be sneaky, instead of upfront.

Man, am I glad this stuff was not invented when I had a teenager. Parents today have it so much tougher. I'd say it depends. The gadget closet is full of child-finder thingies these days; if you live somewhere especially congested, dangerous, etc. mebbe so. If not, and the kidlet poses no special risks (is not a habitual runaway, not developmentally disabled, etc.) then on balance, I agree with Care...be the man your child wants to talk to.

It is so hard, Middleman because the kidlet will fuss up occassionally no matter what, and will almost certainly lie no matter what. There's a great deal of good fortune/prayer involved in getting any kidlet to age 18 safely.

Last edited:

You could always construct a large tower on your house.

rapunzel2.jpg

We also run a boarding school for ladies where they are well protected.

DragonShrek460.jpg

(Just one small matter. There is a hold harmless clause in the contract concerning ogres and donkeys.)

You can download apps that work on any phone that is GPS enabled, even if the companies do not offer the service themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back