Should Buying Knives Require Background Checks?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Clementine, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Clementine

Clementine Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,702
    Since statistics show that most murders are committed using knives as the weapon of choice, should we force people to fill out forms and be subjected to background checks before purchasing paring knives or that steak knife set? And can we still give those as wedding gifts considering they are 4 times more likely to be used as murder weapons than guns? And people often put them in wooden holders and leave them out in plain sight for anyone to access. Or simply open the kitchen drawer and, viola, your own personal arsenal. This is alarming!

If the real objective is to save lives, then how can anyone with a conscience abide by so many stores selling knives like candy?

Baseball bats or other heavy objects are the second most used weapons. This covers a wide range of household and sports items. Hockey sticks or golf clubs can be dangerous. Fireplace tools can do some serious damage. I could probably put someone in the hospital or worse with the large vase in my living room. Imagine dropping a bowling ball on someone's head.

Most of these things are readily available to any unstable or angry person on the planet.

The world is a very dangerous place. I hope if someone ever breaks into my home, the worst weapon he has is a knife- because a gun beats a knife.

Somehow, the left will yawn at this. You see, it's okay if people get killed one a time, like more than one murder a day in Chicago so far this year. It's only bad when more than one person gets killed at a time. Even though way more people will be brutally murdered using weapons readily available or even using one's bare hands, the left is going after the one thing that people can actually use to defend themselves against the other threats.

Again, way more people are killed each year by knives, heavy objects or hands. But the alarmists just want gun control. Why?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. S.J.

S.J. Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,706
    Maybe because tyrants who control the military aren't afraid of knives, baseball bats, and fireplace pokers.

3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Background checks for Ginsu Knives! :D

4. PaulS1950

PaulS1950 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    It isn't about guns - its about control.
    Gun control is being able to shoot five rounds into less than one inch at 100 yards.
    Government control is about having 100% of the population do what they say no matter how stupid it is.

Ok, all passengers boarding the flight get in this line and begin removing your clothing. No your spouse cannot go to the gate with you unless he has a ticket too. Little girl, I am going to frisk you now - to make it safe for everyone on the plane. Ma'am, I don't care if you are wearing a colostomy bag, I am going to frisk you anyway. Sir, You will have to remove your artificial leg so I can be sure there isn't a bomb in it - no I don't care about your service in Afganistan - I still need to have the leg. Ms. would you remove the diaper from your daughter - I need to check for explosive devices.

The terrorists have already won, we no longer have our rights.

5. Bill Angel

Bill Angel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +243
    There was a law passed in 1958 called the Federal Switchblade Act. It restricts the sale and importation of this kind of knife.
    As a resident of Maryland I am glad these laws are on the books.

6. S.J.

S.J. Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,706
    What's the difference if you stab somebody with a hunting knife or a switchblade? They're just as stabbed either way.

7. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    That will be a three day wait on your Ginsus sir. We can't have you out there murdering cans.

8. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    Every couple getting married should be investigated before being able to put knives on their gift registry:)

9. NoNukes

NoNukes Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Some countries have restrictions on knives.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I challenge the OP's basic validity.

More people are killed by knives and clubs and such than with rifles, but not handguns.