CDZ Should bump stocks be legal?

Which laws on the books prevent you from purchasing an assault rifle, 100 round magazine and a bump stock?

Assault Rifle or Assault Weapon?

To own a fully automatic firearm requires Federal Permit where an assault weapon that is semi-automatic depend on state requirements.

Also banning the clip size or bump stocks will not prevent someone from modifying their firearm which if modified from semi to auto is against the law!

Also it is against the law to commit murder no matter with a firearm or with a truck bomb, and yet criminals do not care.

Hell drunk drivers that kill innocent people go to prison and when they get out they drive drunk again, so let get real it is the human element that is the problem in this equation.

So you already know there are laws on the books that prevent people from owning fully automatic weapons, or converting a Semi into a automatic and yet criminals do not care.

So now you want to ban bump stocks and magazines that hold what you consider too many rounds?

Well then leave it to the State level and local governments and if they deem to ban the item and the courts agree then so be it but keep the Federal Government out of it.

Certain states have laws on magazine sizes, so leave it at that level and work on each state or don't and try to make a Federal Issue out of it and discover how many people resist you because you went Federal on this issue!

Here is the problem...

We do not want automatic weapons in the hands of the general public. We saw what they do and banned them way back in the 1930s

We thought we had a clear delineation in the capabilities of semiautomatic weapons and automatic weapons

As we saw last Sunday, that delineation is now pretty vague. There are ways to raise the firing rate of semiautomatics to near automatic range.

So, if our goal is to keep automatic weapons out of the hands of the general public, what do we do?
The obvious answer is to ban modification kits. But if gun owners just laugh and say...Ha, ha...I can modify my AR-15 without a store bought kit then the solution seems to be to ban semiautomatic weapons

No modifications are necessary to bump fire a gun.
And the FACT is that it is hardly ever done even at gun ranges.

Another FACT is that murders with rifles are outnumbered by plenty of other weapons and even by fists alone.

your crusade against rifles is meaningless and will have no effect on 99% of the murders that occur every single year
Which laws on the books prevent you from purchasing an assault rifle, 100 round magazine and a bump stock?

To own a fully automatic firearm requires Federal Permit where an assault weapon that is semi-automatic depend on state requirements.

Also banning the clip size or bump stocks will not prevent someone from modifying their firearm which if modified from semi to auto is against the law!

Also it is against the law to commit murder no matter with a firearm or with a truck bomb, and yet criminals do not care.

Hell drunk drivers that kill innocent people go to prison and when they get out they drive drunk again, so let get real it is the human element that is the problem in this equation.

So you already know there are laws on the books that prevent people from owning fully automatic weapons, or converting a Semi into a automatic and yet criminals do not care.

So now you want to ban bump stocks and magazines that hold what you consider too many rounds?

Well then leave it to the State level and local governments and if they deem to ban the item and the courts agree then so be it but keep the Federal Government out of it.

Certain states have laws on magazine sizes, so leave it at that level and work on each state or don't and try to make a Federal Issue out of it and discover how many people resist you because you went Federal on this issue!

Here is the problem...

We do not want automatic weapons in the hands of the general public. We saw what they do and banned them way back in the 1930s

We thought we had a clear delineation in the capabilities of semiautomatic weapons and automatic weapons

As we saw last Sunday, that delineation is now pretty vague. There are ways to raise the firing rate of semiautomatics to near automatic range.

So, if our goal is to keep automatic weapons out of the hands of the general public, what do we do?
The obvious answer is to ban modification kits. But if gun owners just laugh and say...Ha, ha...I can modify my AR-15 without a store bought kit then the solution seems to be to ban semiautomatic weapons

Another FACT is that murders with rifles are outnumbered by plenty of other weapons and even by fists alone.

your crusade against rifles is meaningless and will have no effect on 99% of the murders that occur every single year

We saw on Sunday, that Paddock was able to consistently obtain high rates of fire using semiautomatic weapons
It enabled him to rain down terror on thousands of people

Much like the Tommy guns of the 1920s, we saw that was much too much power in private hands

Now, if it turns out there is no way to practically restrict the means to turn a semiautomatic to full automatic, then we need to look into ways to restrict semiautomatics

We disagree.

We have had semiautomatic rifles available to the public for over 100 years.
I see no reason to ban them for what is an anomaly in the history of their existence.

We do disagree

I looked at video of the shooter in that hotel window last Sunday and thought....There is no reason a private citizen should have access to that much firepower

You look at it as no big deal. Shit happens

Here is the problem...

Here is the problem...

We saw on Sunday, that Paddock was able to consistently obtain high rates of fire using semiautomatic weapons

Much like the Tommy guns of the 1920s, we saw that was much too much power in private hands

Now, if it turns out there is no way to practically restrict the means to turn a semiautomatic to full automatic, then we need to look into ways to restrict semiautomatics

We disagree.

I see no reason to ban them for what is an anomaly in the history of their existence.

We do disagree

I looked at video of the shooter in that hotel window last Sunday and thought....There is no reason a private citizen should have access to that much firepower

I will weigh the past 100 plus years that semiautomatic rifles have been available to the public in my decisions.
You will base your decisions on a single bad act.

The million of people who own and who have owned semiautomatic rifles over the past century have proven that this weapon in the hands of the public poses less of a threat to human life than do fists, knives, hammers and many other instruments of murder.

Here is the problem...

Here is the problem...

We disagree.

We do disagree

I will weigh the past 100 plus years that semiautomatic rifles have been available to the public in my decisions.

The million of people who own and who have owned semiautomatic rifles over the past century have proven that this weapon in the hands of the public poses less of a threat to human life than do fists, knives, hammers and many other instruments of murder.
How many deaths will it take before you change your mind

We disagree.

We do disagree

I'll never change my mind on this subject.

You know why?

People kill people
People have killed people since there have been people
People will kill people for as long as there are people on the earth.

That is a fact as irrefutable gravity.

Recent events have me thinking about these. Essentially it is a device which if I understand right somewhat clumsily uses the recoil of the rifle to make it fire faster.

Full-Auto Fast - Product Update - $99 Bump Stock - GunsAmerica Digest

I have never fired a gun with one. When first watching the video's of the recent tragedy I thought, "Is that an automatic rifle" but it was almost too slow.

Now according to the AP the gunman used a bumpstock Las Vegas shooting: Gunman had ‘bump-stock’ device that could speed fire – The Denver Post Which would explain the rate of fire.

So, if I understand bumpstocks are only good at firing into a herd or crowd since they reduce accuracy?

Is the rate of fire sufficient they should be regulated like automatic rifles are?

Or are they no big deal and I should be able to go buy one?

I see no reason to ban them. They are used for hobby shooting

-Geaux
=======

I'm changing my mind on this since news broke this morning that they found 3 jammed rifles in the apartment. I'm starting to think this gimmick could actually SHORTEN a mass shooting. He fired for about 3 minutes of the 9 minutes of the shooting and jammed or burnt up 3 rifles.

This bump stock "gimmick" is NOT conversion to full auto. The rifle can't handle it with such a crude "feedback" device. And maybe jamming rifles of mass shooters stupid enough to use them is a GOOD thing. Because MOST mass shooters are not gonna have a ROOMFUL of weapons and accessories with them.

We disagree.

We do disagree

You know why?

People kill people

I don't expect you to

You can watch video of a shooter raining down fire at high rates of speed on thousands of concert goers and think......

Too bad for them

We disagree.

We do disagree

You know why?

People kill people

I don't expect you to

You can watch video of a shooter raining down fire at high rates of speed on thousands of concert goers and think......

Too bad for them

The fact that no law, gun ban or doodad ban would have stopped him doesn't matter to you at all does it?

Recent events have me thinking about these. Essentially it is a device which if I understand right somewhat clumsily uses the recoil of the rifle to make it fire faster.

I have never fired a gun with one. When first watching the video's of the recent tragedy I thought, "Is that an automatic rifle" but it was almost too slow.

Now according to the AP the gunman used a bumpstock Las Vegas shooting: Gunman had ‘bump-stock’ device that could speed fire – The Denver Post Which would explain the rate of fire.

So, if I understand bumpstocks are only good at firing into a herd or crowd since they reduce accuracy?

Is the rate of fire sufficient they should be regulated like automatic rifles are?

-Geaux
=======

I'm changing my mind on this since news broke this morning that they found 3 jammed rifles in the apartment. I'm starting to think this gimmick could actually SHORTEN a mass shooting. He fired for about 3 minutes of the 9 minutes of the shooting and jammed or burnt up 3 rifles.

This bump stock "gimmick" is NOT conversion to full auto. The rifle can't handle it with such a crude "feedback" device. And maybe jamming rifles of mass shooters stupid enough to use them is a GOOD thing. Because MOST mass shooters are not gonna have a ROOMFUL of weapons and accessories with them.

He had 12 rifles

He knew he had plenty and showed no attempt to reduce his fire rate or use short bursts to conserve his barrels. What did he care?
He was never going to fire those guns again

-Geaux
=======

He had 12 rifles

He knew he had plenty and showed no attempt to reduce his fire rate or use short bursts to conserve his barrels. What did he care?

How many mass shooters are gonna have 12 rifles? If they carried 1 -- they'd jam/burn it up in a minute. It's ALMOST a safety device for most people. Because the gun wasn't DESIGNED for this "gimmick".

That said -- I don't think that gimmicks or toying with semi-auto weapons is a big enough hill to die on fighting gun-phobes.

-Geaux
=======

He had 12 rifles

How many mass shooters are gonna have 12 rifles? If they carried 1 -- they'd jam/burn it up in a minute. It's ALMOST a safety device for most people. Because the gun wasn't DESIGNED for this "gimmick".

That said -- I don't think that gimmicks or toying with semi-auto weapons is a big enough hill to die on fighting gun-phobes.

He knew what arsenal he had and fired accordingly
He was able to fire until the barrel burned out and then reach for another gun
If he got down to his last two guns he would have started firing short bursts to save his last guns
He never had to....he had plenty of firepower left

Even if you have one rifle. A twelve second burst and a hundred round magazine is going to inflict tremendous carnage in a movie theater or classroom

-Geaux
=======

He had 12 rifles

He knew what arsenal he had and fired accordingly
He was able to fire until the barrel burned out and then reach for another gun
If he got down to his last two guns he would have started firing short bursts to save his last guns
He never had to....he had plenty of firepower left

Even if you have one rifle. A twelve second burst and a hundred round magazine is going to inflict tremendous carnage in a movie theater or classroom

Assuming facts not in evidence.

We do not know how many different rifles he actually fired or that any of them had their barrels "burned out"

I'm surprised it took this long for some asshole to misuse one in a crime. I can't believe the ATF ever allowed them on the market.

I never saw the use for one, unless you just like to waste ammo. I don't really care if they're banned but I do not trust creatures like Feinslime to write the legislation.

I doubt any legislation passes anytime soon.

I think legislation will pass and really soon. If Trump really is pro-gun he will veto the bill.

If you allow the liberals to outlaw one cosmetic feature, tomorrow it will be another. The bump fire stock probably was instrumental in saving more lives than it cost due to its inherent inaccuracy and reliability. But, that's not the point. The liberals want to take one feature off the table, then another, then another...

The end game? Every time you compromise with the liberals, they say, "well it's a start." It doesn't end until all the guns are banned. Gun owners should give up NOTHING on this without something in return.

We do disagree

You know why?

People kill people

I don't expect you to

Too bad for them

The fact that no law, gun ban or doodad ban would have stopped him doesn't matter to you at all does it?

A law limiting him to ten round magazines would have slowed him down
A law banning bump stocks would have made him pull the trigger on each shot

I'm surprised it took this long for some asshole to misuse one in a crime. I can't believe the ATF ever allowed them on the market.

I never saw the use for one, unless you just like to waste ammo. I don't really care if they're banned but I do not trust creatures like Feinslime to write the legislation.

I think legislation will pass and really soon. If Trump really is pro-gun he will veto the bill.

If you allow the liberals to outlaw one cosmetic feature, tomorrow it will be another. The bump fire stock probably was instrumental in saving more lives than it cost due to its inherent inaccuracy and reliability. But, that's not the point. The liberals want to take one feature off the table, then another, then another...

The end game? Every time you compromise with the liberals, they say, "well it's a start." It doesn't end until all the guns are banned. Gun owners should give up NOTHING on this without something in return.

Ohhhh...NOE

Slippery slope

You know why?

People kill people

I don't expect you to

Too bad for them

Yeah, right. 10 second magazine swaps. B.S. pal.

Ohhhh...NOE

Slippery slope

Slippery as it may be, that is the path they choose to follow. I want the radical Muslims out of the United States and I want to see the medical community held accountable for the drugs they prescribe like candy.

I prefer to prevent gun violence, not worship knee jerk liberal reactions to ban guns and try to stereotype gun owners.

You know why?

People kill people

I don't expect you to

Too bad for them

But 10 rounds is not enough for me using my weapon in self defense. I side on the side of law enforcement, 15 round minimum

-Geaux

It's true!

The amendment said "shall not be infringed".

Banning anything is infringing. Auto-weapons should be available to the public.

You know why?

People kill people

I don't expect you to

Too bad for them

Yeah, right. 10 second magazine swaps. B.S. pal.
link where I said anything about 10 sec magazine swaps

You know why?

People kill people

I don't expect you to

Too bad for them

But 10 rounds is not enough for me using my weapon in self defense. I side on the side of law enforcement, 15 round minimum

-Geaux

OK

I could support 15

But why do we need 100?

Forum List

Back