Should Beck, Rush, and Freedomworks Be Prosecuted?

Should Beck, Rush, and Freedomworks be Prosecuted for Payola?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
some people should be prosecuted for being obsessive goofs over radio and tv host

If we want to go there all the idiot talking heads at PMSnbc should be prosecuted for being raging nut jobs:lol:

Uh, payola is a payment given in exchange for promoting a commercial product. Pretty sure political speech is not a commercial product.

Uh, payola is a payment given in exchange for promoting a commercial product. Pretty sure political speech is not a commercial product.

Please show that to be a fact.

Get thee a dictionary...

pay·o·la [ pay ṓlə ]
bribe for promoting product: a payment given in exchange for promoting a commercial product, or the system of making such payments, especially to disc jockeys

Get thee a dictionary...

pay·o·la [ pay ṓlə ]
bribe for promoting product: a payment given in exchange for promoting a commercial product, or the system of making such payments, especially to disc jockeys

Yeah, Spitzer must have different copy of that dictionary of yours. I would believe that just about any judge would find that it violates the intent of the law if not the specific wording of the law and that the defendants would be found guilty.

Payola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This newer type of payola was an attempt to sidestep FCC regulations. Since the independent intermediaries were the ones actually paying the stations, it was thought that their inducements did not fall under the "payola" rules, so a radio station need not report them as paid promotions.

Former New York State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer prosecuted payola-related crimes in his jurisdiction. His office settled out of court with Sony BMG Music Entertainment in July 2005, Warner Music Group in November 2005 and Universal Music Group in May 2006. The three conglomerates agreed to pay $10 million, $5 million, and $12 million respectively to New York State non-profit organizations that will fund music education and appreciation programs. EMI remains under investigation.[7][8]

Concern about contemporary forms of payola prompted an investigation during which the FCC established firmly that the "loophole" was still a violation of the law. In 2007, four companies (CBS Radio, Citadel, Clear Channel, and Entercom) settled on paying $12.5 million in fines and accepting tougher restrictions than the legal requirements for three years, although no company admitted any wrongdoing.[9] Because of the increased legal scrutiny, some larger radio companies (including industry giant Clear Channel) now flatly refuse to have any contact with independent promoters.

Get thee a dictionary...

pay·o·la [ pay ṓlə ]

Yeah, Spitzer must have different copy of that dictionary of yours. I would believe that just about any judge would find that it violates the intent of the law if not the specific wording of the law and that the defendants would be found guilty.

Payola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This newer type of payola was an attempt to sidestep FCC regulations. Since the independent intermediaries were the ones actually paying the stations, it was thought that their inducements did not fall under the "payola" rules, so a radio station need not report them as paid promotions.

Former New York State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer prosecuted payola-related crimes in his jurisdiction. His office settled out of court with Sony BMG Music Entertainment in July 2005, Warner Music Group in November 2005 and Universal Music Group in May 2006. The three conglomerates agreed to pay $10 million, $5 million, and $12 million respectively to New York State non-profit organizations that will fund music education and appreciation programs. EMI remains under investigation.[7][8]

Concern about contemporary forms of payola prompted an investigation during which the FCC established firmly that the "loophole" was still a violation of the law. In 2007, four companies (CBS Radio, Citadel, Clear Channel, and Entercom) settled on paying $12.5 million in fines and accepting tougher restrictions than the legal requirements for three years, although no company admitted any wrongdoing.[9] Because of the increased legal scrutiny, some larger radio companies (including industry giant Clear Channel) now flatly refuse to have any contact with independent promoters.

I'm sorry, but did you just criticize my source...by quoting Wikipedia? Oh that's precious. :lol: Then, you put up Elliot Spitzer as your man? You realize this is about payola and not prostitution, right? Goodness, I couldn't make this stuff up! :lol::lol::lol: Well, since 'ol Spitzy got shit-canned from the Alwhatever network, I'm sure he'll be Johnny on the spot with this oh-so-urgent crusade...:doubt:

One you never sighted your source, second "what?", third "what?", forth "I feel for you"

Also you seem to have a bit of 'smilie compulsive disorder" going on there.

One you never sighted your source, second "what?", third "what?", forth "I feel for you"

Also you seem to have a bit of 'smilie compulsive disorder" going on there.

You do some research on 'ol Spitzy and get back to us. Wiki's an EXCELLENT source...:eusa_eh:

some people should be prosecuted for being obsessive goofs over radio and tv host

If we want to go there all the idiot talking heads at PMSnbc should be prosecuted for being raging nut jobs:lol:

PMSNBC should be prosecuted for all the free campaign commercials it gave Obama, badly disguised as "news".

All the media gave the Obama campaign free air time. The campaign never reported the contributions to the FEC.

If it is not prosecuted does that mean our side gets to do it? If it is OK at $1M is it OK at $2M. How about $10M? If it is OK than the amount should have no relevance. Neither should who does it.

Get thee a dictionary...

pay·o·la [ pay ṓlə ]
pay·o·la (p
amacr.gif
-
omacr.gif
prime.gif
l
schwa.gif
)n.1. Bribery of an influential person in exchange for the promotion of a product or service, such that of disc jockeys for the promotion of records.
2. A bribe or a number of bribes given to an influential person in exchange for a promotion of a product or service

bribe, payoff - payment made to a person in a position of trust to corrupt his judgment

And I include a link:
payola - definition of payola by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Forum List

Back