Should Atheists Be Tax Exempt?

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
Some atheists actually preach the wisdom of believing in their fellow man. They preach that the origin of life can and is found in science and not some make believe being.

I cannot speak for any other atheist but I know my belief system is every bit as honest, sincere and true as any on earth. I have put in the work to know what I know and share my belief often and usually with respect to others beliefs.

That said every atheist that shares his or her beliefs is a preacher in his own right if he or she has come to that belief honestly is just as devote as any priest in any religion.

So ....should an actively vocal atheist enjoy the same tax status as any other preacher?

Hi Huggy,

Good question. I think that people who swear that atheists are a religion should make sure that atheists have the same tax exempt status as religions do.

Personally, I don't consider atheism a religion, do you?

Some atheists actually preach the wisdom of believing in their fellow man. They preach that the origin of life can and is found in science and not some make believe being.

I cannot speak for any other atheist but I know my belief system is every bit as honest, sincere and true as any on earth. I have put in the work to know what I know and share my belief often and usually with respect to others beliefs.

That said every atheist that shares his or her beliefs is a preacher in his own right if he or she has come to that belief honestly is just as devote as any priest in any religion.

So ....should an actively vocal atheist enjoy the same tax status as any other preacher?

You have to get a church first, but after that, I don't see why not?

Hi Huggy,

Good question. I think that people who swear that atheists are a religion should make sure that atheists have the same tax exempt status as religions do.

Hey there!

The word "religion" has somewhat of a bad taste for atheists as much as the word "atheist" has for believers in God. BUT..the real reason for the separation is the disagreement in principals. Is Buddhism a religion? Scientology? I have come to the conclusion that it being "religion" is a question of passing on or teaching one's belief to others. If a follower of Christ never sets foot in a church or shares his belief is he or she a member of a religion?

Did Jesus have a church? I do not believe he did. He simply shared his belief with others as he went through life.

I do not think a physical address is as important as the sincerity of the belief and if one shares that belief.

I don't know who in the government decides these things but I would think a "mission statement" and evidence of sharing one's belief should be enough.

Preachers are not tax exempt...churches are....go ahead and start your own church, and promote the well being of your area. Provide free lunches to the homeless, a community supper once a week. Open your church during the winter and provide shelter to the homeless and I'm all for granting you tax exemptions.

Hi Huggy,

Hey there!

The word "religion" has somewhat of a bad taste for atheists as much as the word "atheist" has for believers in God. BUT..the real reason for the separation is the disagreement in principals. Is Buddhism a religion? Scientology? I have come to the conclusion that it being "religion" is a question of passing on or teaching one's belief to others. If a follower of Christ never sets foot in a church or shares his belief is he or she a member of a religion?

Hmm. I would say that if a follower of Christ never sets foot in a church and keeps his beliefs to himself he is still practicing the religion of Christianity, even if he is not affiliated with any congregation.

As to whether Scientology is a religion, I'm the wrong person to ask. I have my doubts since it's all based on a science fiction writer's gobbledygook. I can't say I have alot of respect for Scientology. Nonetheless, if it brings anyone a measure of peace, who am I to judge?

Regarding Buddhism, Buddhists debate amongst ourselves as to whether Buddhism is a religion or a way of life. I think it depends on how you define religion. I define it as spiritual teachings or principles and spiritual practices, not necessarily something that has an institution connected with it.

If atheists pass on their reasoning, does that make them a religion by your definition?

Did Jesus have a church? I do not believe he did. He simply shared his belief with others as he went through life.

I do not think a physical address is as important as the sincerity of the belief and if one shares that belief.

I don't know who in the government decides these things but I would think a "mission statement" and evidence of sharing one's belief should be enough.

You make an interesting argument for permitting anyone with a mission statement and evidence of sharing one's beliefs to gain tax exempt status.

Nobody wants to pay taxes. This is one of the more creative ideas I've heard in a long time.

You make an interesting argument for permitting anyone with a mission statement and evidence of sharing one's beliefs to gain tax exempt status.

Nobody wants to pay taxes. This is one of the more creative ideas I've heard in a long time.

Actually "the tax angle" is more about a level playing field than an effort to avoid taxes. I would like to see atheism grow as a belief in the community and tax exemption is a powerful incentive.

Jesus didn't have the IRS withholding his wages either.

You'll need a church to pay you in order to be tax exempt. Otherwise, it is income and you are an individual.

1099 :(

I agree with uscitizen: tax everyone, including all businesses, all organizations, etc. However, as things stand, an atheist organization's property and assets would be exempt from tax if they qualify under 501(c)(3), e.g., educational, charitable, etc. Againshelia is correct...no individual is exempt from tax merely because he is a clergyman.

This should be the same at the state and local level, but I cannot swear to it.

You'll need a church to pay you in order to be tax exempt. Otherwise, it is income and you are an individual.

Pastors personal income is not tax exempt.
But neither should churches though. By not taxing them the govt is supporting them with essiential cmmunity serivces which is unconstitutional.

Since this is purely hypothetical maybe ones wages could be taken as a donation to ones own "church of atheism". As it stands the Christians have gamed the system to favor their belief with tax exemption. Who can say absolutely without error that the smallest "religion" is not the correct one. There would have to be some adjustments in the tax code to accommodate a one man religion. Now don't get stupid on me...:lol: :lol: :lol: I am not suggesting EVERYONE should be able to just say they are the head of their own religion. There must be proof that every religion meets some minimum standard.

Pastors personal income is not tax exempt.
But neither should churches though. By not taxing them the govt is supporting them with essiential cmmunity serivces which is unconstitutional.

Churches do not have to withhold on ordained ministers salary.

Any other income they have is taxed just like the rest of us heathens.

There was a woman in early New England who convinced 200 people that she was god reincarnate. She said not to bury here when she died and she would rise on the 3rd day. Needless to say there were 200 foolish feeling people 4 days after she died.

the only difference betrween a cult and a religion is the number of followers.

Jesus WAS a cult leader.

There was a woman in early New England who convinced 200 people that she was god reincarnate. She said not to bury here when she died and she would rise on the 3rd day. Needless to say there were 200 foolish feeling people 4 days after she died.

the only difference betrween a cult and a religion is the number of followers.

Jesus WAS a cult leader.

cool-story-bro.jpg

Forum List

Back