Should Angels have poured alcohol on Nick Adenhart's jersey?

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a5a8ef2d970b-pi

I heard this debate on Mike & Mike this AM as to whether or not the Angels players were disrespectful in pouring alcohol on Nick Adenhart's jersey, seeing that he was killed by a drunk driver.

I personally feel that this was not disrespectful in the least and I find it very weird that some people have a problem with it.

The only people who have the right to be angry about it would be his family...and I don't know yet as to what their feelings are.

Any thoughts?

Now if one was to question the use of alcoholic beverages during a celebration...that might be a legitimate argument.

It's a custom. Today it's more often associated with gang members, but it's an old, old custom. Usually exists in the form of pouring a drink on the grave, but it's nobody's business how these guys show their respect, love and loss.

And in fact, I've been in groups where any time they're discussing someone who has passed, they pour a shot on the ground.

some people will make a big deal out of everything, they are happy, let it be.

They're honoring him, not mourning him.

At some soccer games in Europe, instead of having a minute's silence, fans have started a tradition of having a minute's applause. I would imagine that those who have passed on would prefer to see people celebrating their life and achievements. I know I would.

I'm sure NA would have been thrilled and, had he been alive, would have been right in the middle of the celebration.

They're honoring him, not mourning him.

At some soccer games in Europe, instead of having a minute's silence, fans have started a tradition of having a minute's applause. I would imagine that those who have passed on would prefer to see people celebrating their life and achievements. I know I would.

I'm sure NA would have been thrilled and, had he been alive, would have been right in the middle of the celebration.

I saw the beginning of the Angels/Sox game just after he died. They did a very nice memorial with Lackey and Hunter holding his jersey out on the pitchers mound. A moment of silence, then cheering. Very moving.

there a huge difference with dui and pouring beer on a jersey nick would of love it and anyone no matter who fans are what. the dedicate this to nick.

i really cant stand mike and mike

The CONTEXT of the symbolism the Angels displayed was one of respect and love. The LAST thing on their mind was how he died. They simply wanted to pay respect to their friend who is no longer with them.

Judge things in the CONTEXT for which they are done.

They seemed to have loved the guy, show love how you will.

Booze can kill, we all know this, it can be poison, but it can also be holy, "water into wine", it can liberate in a Dionysian way.

Love how you will, but do love.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back