CDZ Should Americans be allowed to own military weapons used for mass murder and genocide?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by 2aguy, May 20, 2017.

1. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,442
    The small pox blanket story is a myth......there was a letter, between two officers, but no actually attempt at doing it...[/QUOTE]

No, it's not. It actually happened under the British. The American Army's supposed use of the tactic is what was shown to be false.

"During Pontiac's uprising in 1763, the Indians besieged Fort Pitt. They burned nearby houses, forcing the inhabitants to take refuge in the well-protected fort. The British officer in charge, Captain Simeon Ecuyer, reported to Colonel Henry Bouquet in Philadelphia that he feared the crowded conditions would result in disease. Smallpox had already broken out. On June 24, 1763, William Trent, a local trader, recorded in his journal that two Indian chiefs had visited the fort, urging the British to abandon the fight, but the British refused. Instead, when the Indians were ready to leave, Trent wrote: "Out of our regard for them, we gave them two Blankets and an Handkerchief out of the Small Pox Hospital. I hope it will have the desired effect."

[​IMG]
    English translation of Grotius on peace and war.

It is not known who conceived the plan, but there's no doubt it met with the approval of the British military in America and may have been common practice. Sir Jeffery Amherst, commander of British forces in North America, wrote July 7, 1763, probably unaware of the events at Fort Pitt: "Could it not be contrived to Send the Small Pox among those Disaffected Tribes of Indians? We must, on this occasion, Use Every Stratagem in our power to Reduce them." He ordered the extirpation of the Indians and said no prisoners should be taken. About a week later, he wrote to Bouquet: "You will Do well to try to Innoculate the Indians by means of Blanketts as well as to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race."

Though a connection cannot be proven, a smallpox epidemic erupted in the Ohio Valley that may have been the result of the distribution of the infected articles at Fort Pitt. Whatever its origins, the outbreak devastated the Indians. Such tactics appear atrocious and barbaric to modern readers, but at the time anything was alright to use against "savages." Nor was all-out war foreign to the Indians. During Pontiac's Rebellion the Indian warriors killed about 2,000 civilian settlers and about 400 soldiers. They, too, tried to "extirpate" the enemy."

Colonial Germ Warfare[/QUOTE]

Noitice the important point....Small Pox had already broken out...before they gave them blankets.....you should look at the story closer...when I did you find out those were actually friendly indians warning the fort.....there are a lot of myths about that story...there is no reason to believe they would have given friendlies anything dangerous....

2. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,442
    The small pox blanket story is a myth......there was a letter, between two officers, but no actually attempt at doing it...[/QUOTE]

No, it's not. It actually happened under the British. The American Army's supposed use of the tactic is what was shown to be false.

"During Pontiac's uprising in 1763, the Indians besieged Fort Pitt. They burned nearby houses, forcing the inhabitants to take refuge in the well-protected fort. The British officer in charge, Captain Simeon Ecuyer, reported to Colonel Henry Bouquet in Philadelphia that he feared the crowded conditions would result in disease. Smallpox had already broken out. On June 24, 1763, William Trent, a local trader, recorded in his journal that two Indian chiefs had visited the fort, urging the British to abandon the fight, but the British refused. Instead, when the Indians were ready to leave, Trent wrote: "Out of our regard for them, we gave them two Blankets and an Handkerchief out of the Small Pox Hospital. I hope it will have the desired effect."

[​IMG]
    English translation of Grotius on peace and war.

It is not known who conceived the plan, but there's no doubt it met with the approval of the British military in America and may have been common practice. Sir Jeffery Amherst, commander of British forces in North America, wrote July 7, 1763, probably unaware of the events at Fort Pitt: "Could it not be contrived to Send the Small Pox among those Disaffected Tribes of Indians? We must, on this occasion, Use Every Stratagem in our power to Reduce them." He ordered the extirpation of the Indians and said no prisoners should be taken. About a week later, he wrote to Bouquet: "You will Do well to try to Innoculate the Indians by means of Blanketts as well as to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race."

Though a connection cannot be proven, a smallpox epidemic erupted in the Ohio Valley that may have been the result of the distribution of the infected articles at Fort Pitt. Whatever its origins, the outbreak devastated the Indians. Such tactics appear atrocious and barbaric to modern readers, but at the time anything was alright to use against "savages." Nor was all-out war foreign to the Indians. During Pontiac's Rebellion the Indian warriors killed about 2,000 civilian settlers and about 400 soldiers. They, too, tried to "extirpate" the enemy."

Colonial Germ Warfare[/QUOTE]

Small pocks blankets would not have worked...

The Smallpox-infected Blankets

Although we do not know how the plan worked out, modern medicine suggests that it could not possibly have succeeded. Smallpox dies in several minutes outside of the human body. So obviously if those blankets had smallpox germs in them, they were dead smallpox germs. Dead smallpox germs don’t transmit smallpox.

In addition to the apparent scientific impossibility of disease transmission, there is no evidence that any Indians got sick from the blankets, not that they could have anyway.

The two Delaware chiefs who personally received the blankets were in good health later.

The smallpox epidemic that was sweeping the attacking Indians during this war started before the incident.

The Indians themselves said that they were getting smallpox by attacking settler villages infected with smallpox and then bringing it back to their villages.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,830
    Absolutely.

Otherwise, we can shoot at only RWNJ Pootarian traitor at a time.

Seriously dude eye, you ain't taking my country

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

4. Dan Stubbs

Dan Stubbs forget....Hell Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Don't care what they own. If you can afford the ammo for it, pay for a 50 cal round and tell me that you own a 50 cal machine gun then you have to be a very rich guy just to pop off 500 rounds. Cost 5000 bucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DarkFury

DarkFury Platinum Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35,809
    Not your country.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,826

No, you can buy .50 cal cheap stuff for around 2.50 a round.

7. Dan Stubbs

Dan Stubbs forget....Hell Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Depends on what Mass is. I might be able to answer if I could get the amount of death you are talking about. By mass do you mean more than 5 or 500. Heck I dont know anyone who would buy a RPG when the ammo cost $1,200.00 plus shipping and handling .

8. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +589
    Sir, we agree on some topics, this particular gun issue for one, but your signature and statements make me believe you are here more to be a cheerleader for a team than to debate a topic.

9. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,442

I am a supporter of America...and a conservative......so? I debate topics coming from that end of the spectrum......you can debate them from whatever point you want...this isn't a debate class where you have to debate both sides...I know both sides, I know the other side is wrong...but I am still more than happy to have my beliefs tested in open debate...

10. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,983
    I would rather have better weaponry than those who will be trying to kill me. But I will settle for the same level if I must.