Should all jobs be required to pay at least a living wage?

• Obama voter - No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-Obama voter - Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your emotionalism aside, no one is legally getting coolie wages in this country.

In fact the pure beauty of capitalism is that it requires you to pay the highest wage possible or lose your best workers to those who will pay the highest wage possible.

Also, it requires you to cut your profit to $0 or be undersold by competition and go bankrupt.

These are simple points that a liberal will lack the IQ to understand.

Pure capitalism? With tax breaks to corporations and bailing out banks? Have you been paying attention?
Soooooo, am I to assume you oppose Obama giving tax breaks to Hollywood movie production companies, in an effort to try and keep production here in the states, as opposed to taking the production and jobs to Canada and elsewhere?

I mean he hasn't gotten much right, period......but on this one he actually did.

Interesting that not one who favors taking us down the path of Greece, has come up with an actual number that they believe would equal a "living wage"......Or, how a small business with, lets say, 2-10 employees, would be able to absorb such a ridiculous mandate.

The whole idea is sheer friggin' lunacy.

Interesting that not one who favors taking us down the path of Greece, has come up with an actual number that they believe would equal a "living wage"......Or, how a small business with, lets say, 2-10 employees, would be able to absorb such a ridiculous mandate.

and this living wage thing....

so ....say paper boy or Starbucks barrestia... now gets that huge raise to a living wage... to say... what $20 dollars an hour...

where does that put the people who do more for a living then them.... do they all get a 10-12 dollar an hour raise to compensate for doing MORE for their living then said paperboy and barrestia?

so ....say paper boy or Starbucks barrestia... now gets that huge raise to a living wage... to say... what $20 dollars an hour...

where does that put the people who do more for a living then them.... do they all get a 10-12 dollar an hour raise to compensate for doing MORE for their living then said paperboy and barrestia?
Exactly.....How about paying a dishwasher (dime a dozen) the same as a line cook (a true skill)?

It's friggin ridiculous, and would lead this country straight to economic catastrophe.

Last edited:

Exactly.....How about paying a dishwasher the same as a line cook?

It's friggin ridiculous, and would lead this country straight to economic catastrophe.

all i know is i would be pissed as fucking hell if the dishwasher was makeing as much as i would be making.... for actually doing a skilled job as a line cook.

I also know as a owner i would be compelled to give equivalent raises to make the pay according to skill level....

and then laying off a load of people becasue i could not afford to pay them anymore.

why do these living wage people never think it though.

all i know is i would be pissed as fucking hell if the dishwasher was makeing as much as i would be making.... for actually doing a skilled job as a line cook.

I also know as a owner i would be compelled to give equivalent raises to make the pay according to skill level....

and then laying off a load of people becasue i could not afford to pay them anymore.

Because they are the full government control types....Everything involving their lives must be mandated.....It just makes it easier for them to exist, instead of actually taking the resposibility to control their own existense.

No thanks.

Because they are the full government control types....Everything involving their lives must be mandated.....It just makes it easier for them to exist, instead of actually taking the resposibility to control their own existense.

No thanks.

oh i think its more basic than that... its wanting more then what you can afford or in this case what the job worth. Lets not forget... no one forces anyone to TAKE a job for what is being offered.

there is always the cry.... i cant live on minimum wage. Fine... work 2 jobs. Work 2 1/2 if that is what it takes to live.

I am always amazed when liberals toss this idea of a living wage around, like there's no consequences. Say you raise the minimum wage up to $20 bucks an hour on average. How many businesses do you think can absorb that extra expense without raising prices bigtime or outsourcing jobs or going out of business? Say they raise prices to cover the higher labor costs, how competitive does that make foreign products here? How attractive will US goods be at a higher price overseas? The day this is tried is the day we enter a depression greater than the one in the 1930s.

Not to mention that the price increases diminish the living one can do on that wage.

You do know that once upon a time, those cashier workers made a living wage don't you? In fact, they were considered very well paid. Come to think of it, most workers were paid decently way back when. It's only since the 70's and changes in corporate law that we've become a country of the rich and the poor.

Oh, we've been a country of rich and poor long before the 70's. It still doesn't change the fact that people should not have to subsidize lazy bums with no ambition.

My friend has been working as a maid for 30 years. She's not a lazy bum and she does have ambition, but things don't always work out the way you want. She deserves a LIVING wage. Everyone working in the richest country in the world DESERVES a living wage. No one DESERVES 500 times what their employees are making and I seriously doubt you deserve what you are paid. I don't think you know what hard work is, if we paid according to how hard the work was, those people you disparage would be making a lot more than you.

Then I ask you, define "living wage".

Assume a living wage for the area, not a national one-size-fits-all standard.

Why or why not?

Sigh...we're going to do THIS again?

First of all...entry level jobs are NOT jobs that you are supposed to "live" off of. They are a stepping off point to the rest of your career. You start there and then you work your way to a better job...a job with better pay.

My friend has been working as a maid for 30 years. She's not a lazy bum and she does have ambition, but things don't always work out the way you want. She deserves a LIVING wage. Everyone working in the richest country in the world DESERVES a living wage. No one DESERVES 500 times what their employees are making and I seriously doubt you deserve what you are paid. I don't think you know what hard work is, if we paid according to how hard the work was, those people you disparage would be making a lot more than you.

you do know what a living wage would mean for your friend don't you...

no job at all
^^^double bingo!^^^
Her friend "deserves" nothing at all. She earns whatever she gets.

No one is owned a living, thus no one is owned a living wage. The only thing you should be able to expect is a safety net of bare essentials if you're not able to provide that on your own.

I also know as a owner i would be compelled to give equivalent raises to make the pay according to skill level.... and then laying off a load of people becasue i could not afford to pay them anymore.

What happened in georgia when the state managed to throw out all the immigrant labor?
Georgia's Harsh Immigration Law Costs Millions in Unharvested Crops - Megan McArdle - The Atlantic

Ah thats right, it turns out that unskilled isnt equivalent to cheap: time and effort still count for something. But by all means, have your pity party and lament the fact that all these people who spent their lives working are going to need a govt handout in their old age, and that handout will hobble tomorrows businesses because todays were freeloading cheapskates.

Ah thats right, it turns out that unskilled isnt equivalent to cheap: time and effort still count for something. But by all means, have your pity party and lament the fact that all these people who spent their lives working are going to need a govt handout in their old age, and that handout will hobble tomorrows businesses because todays were freeloading cheapskates.
I think society is burdened with freeloaders of all kinds which cost all of us. It is very difficult and extremely ludicrous to put the onus on businesses that pay taxes and employ people.

Who else should it be on? Theyre the ones that want access to labor.
On what? What I'm saying is society is ridden with freeloaders. There is no legitimate company which does not provide benefits and compensation as well as pay taxes mandated by law. If your looking for freeloaders, then there are those who do not follow employment law nor pay taxes.

A huge amount of government spending is on entitlements and welfare benefits which are paid for by the wealthy and successful companies. I fail to understand your point

Forum List

Back