Should adult babies collect SSI?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A key senator has asked the Social Security Administration to investigate how people who live their lives role-playing as “adult babies” are able to get taxpayer-funded disability payments — after one of them was featured on a recent reality TV episode wearing diapers, feeding from a bottle and using an adult-sized crib he built.

Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican and the Senate’s top waste-watcher, asked the agency’s inspector general to look into 30-year-old Stanley Thornton Jr. and his roommate, Sandra Dias, who acts as his “mother,” saying it’s not clear why they are collecting Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits instead of working.

“Given that Mr. Thornton is able to determine what is appropriate attire and actions in public, drive himself to complete errands, design and custom-make baby furniture to support a 350-pound adult and run an Internet support group, it is possible that he has been improperly collecting disability benefits for a period of time,” Mr. Coburn wrote in a letter Monday to Inspector General Patrick P. O'Carroll Jr.

SSI is run by Social Security and pays out benefits to aged, blind and disabled people who have little or no income.

In an email response to The Washington Times, Mr. Thornton threatened to kill himself if his Social Security payments are taken away, and said the television episode showing him doing woodwork oversold his abilities.

20110517-213506-pic-495676193_s640x346.jpg

Give me my govt. cheese or the baby gets it!!!!

This shit has got to stop. I know of several people who are on permanent disability. They take care of their homes, their children, shop, go to the beach, etc. But for some reason, they can never work again. :doubt:

A key senator has asked the Social Security Administration to investigate how people who live their lives role-playing as “adult babies” are able to get taxpayer-funded disability payments — after one of them was featured on a recent reality TV episode wearing diapers, feeding from a bottle and using an adult-sized crib he built.

Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican and the Senate’s top waste-watcher, asked the agency’s inspector general to look into 30-year-old Stanley Thornton Jr. and his roommate, Sandra Dias, who acts as his “mother,” saying it’s not clear why they are collecting Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits instead of working.

“Given that Mr. Thornton is able to determine what is appropriate attire and actions in public, drive himself to complete errands, design and custom-make baby furniture to support a 350-pound adult and run an Internet support group, it is possible that he has been improperly collecting disability benefits for a period of time,” Mr. Coburn wrote in a letter Monday to Inspector General Patrick P. O'Carroll Jr.

SSI is run by Social Security and pays out benefits to aged, blind and disabled people who have little or no income.

In an email response to The Washington Times, Mr. Thornton threatened to kill himself if his Social Security payments are taken away, and said the television episode showing him doing woodwork oversold his abilities.

This shit has got to stop. I know of several people who are on permanent disability. They take care of their homes, their children, shop, go to the beach, etc. But for some reason, they can never work again. :doubt:

I am on permanent disability. I suffer from severe depression. When I used to work I would have to go to the Hospital 2 to 3 times a year and missed a lot of work due to depression. On disability I have only been to the hospital once in 11 years.

Some disabilities are not as easily seen as others.

Social Security considers me incompetent to run my affairs as well, my wife collects my disability. I still drive and can shop. I can not really pay the bills though the depression from doing that gets me to a point where I don't do it. Probably why they judged me fiscally incompetent.

VA rates me at 70 percent but pays me at the 100 percent rate as I am unemployable.

I know of a father who suffered a major heart attack in his 30's. He was deemed "unemployable" and collects SSI. Ten years later, he is a recluse, who has gained 100 pounds and chain smokes. Not too good for his heart I imagine.

There is a quality of life issue here. I believe if this guy was working, he would be happier and would be a better role model to his children. Even if he doesn't live to 80. Dependence breeds depression in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

SSI doesn't exist so people can lead depraved and bizarre lifestyles (as the couple in the OP). Let them do what they like at home but they can support themselves.

They are investigating his "mommy" as well. She's a registered nurse who is collecting. Good for Coburn. Time to expose the fraudsters. Even if it's only 10 percent - that's a lotta cash.

I am always bewildered by the indignation over some people's behavior and the excuses for others. Surely there are more important and substantive problems than this one.

"God's compassion is easy to see by us just looking at the definition of compassion. Compassion is a desire to free others from their suffering. God definitely desires to free all of us from suffering. His compassion is empathy not sympathy.

See Scripture Commentary: Matthew 9:36 explains Jesus' compassion for suffering." Bible Definition of Compassion | Access-Jesus.com

How the hell is a man who doesn't want to work so he can suck a bottle "suffering"?

I am on permanent disability. I suffer from severe depression. When I used to work I would have to go to the Hospital 2 to 3 times a year and missed a lot of work due to depression. On disability I have only been to the hospital once in 11 years.

Some disabilities are not as easily seen as others.

Social Security considers me incompetent to run my affairs as well, my wife collects my disability. I still drive and can shop. I can not really pay the bills though the depression from doing that gets me to a point where I don't do it. Probably why they judged me fiscally incompetent.

VA rates me at 70 percent but pays me at the 100 percent rate as I am unemployable.

If the wealth of society is measured by the way they care for their weakest members, then the USA deserves a Gold Medal. Ours is a Nation of abundance, where both the lazy and the disabled benefit until......

....the trough runs dry, then they all are loaded into boxcars headed for the nearest incinerator, along with everyone else (mostly innocents) who can be blamed for the nation's excesses.

THis eventuality is what The Senator from Oklahoma is trying to prevent: IMHO he's fighting an uphill battle against human nature.

I am always bewildered by the indignation over some people's behavior and the excuses for others. Surely there are more important and substantive problems than this one.

"God's compassion is easy to see by us just looking at the definition of compassion. Compassion is a desire to free others from their suffering. God definitely desires to free all of us from suffering. His compassion is empathy not sympathy.

See Scripture Commentary: Matthew 9:36 explains Jesus' compassion for suffering." Bible Definition of Compassion | Access-Jesus.com

Sorry, I'm with the Cons on this one. This is totally ridiculous and you have to draw the line somewhere. I have a son collecting SS who really is disabled, unlike this guy.

This shit has got to stop.
RIght,there's are thousands of adults babies doing this, its a massive problem

I know of several people who are on permanent disability. They take care of their homes, their children, shop, go to the beach, etc. But for some reason, they can never work again. :doubt:

Sorry I didn't know disabled people weren't allowed at the beach or to shop.

Disability is determined by whether or not you can continue to work in your profession. An oil rig worker who throws out his back is more likely to get disability than a scientist who throws out his back for instance.

Last edited:
If adults acting like a baby is a disability, then 80% of the posters of the USMB should be getting their checks anytime soon!

Just think, when your baby grows up enough to go out and get a job, she gets to support big fat slobs like the one being discussed and all you can come up with is to insult board members?

If adults acting like a baby is a disability, then 80% of the posters of the USMB should be getting their checks anytime soon!

Just think, when your baby grows up enough to go out and get a job, she gets to support big fat slobs like the one being discussed and all you can come up with is to insult board members?

Lighten up Willow.....it's ok to laugh sometimes.

And didn't you just insult that man by calling him a "big fat slob?"

Who knows, he could be posting here from his crib for all we know!

Hopefully we will shame his big fat ass enough to go out and get a job. Yathink?

Someone who isn't ashamed of wearing diapers, by choice, probably is un-shameable.

Hopefully we will shame his big fat ass enough to go out and get a job. Yathink?
Maybe Babies R Us is hiring!

Really tired of hearing people bitch about others collecting disability, welfare, and other government programs. Everyone has a story..."This guy I know is collecting (fill in the blank) and there is nothing wrong with him. He is driving a better car, has a better home, etc." To these people I say...If you think they are scamming the system it is your responsibility to turn them in to the athorities, If you don't thnk they are scamming then you realize that the system has a purpose. If you think they are scamming and you take no action than, then shut up about it.

I used to get screechers all the time, who would come in to apply for disability, or something, and get really PISSED because they are over the income standard.

"I guess you have to be MEXICAN to get welfare...I know so and so and they make more money than me and they get cash and medical and all kinds of assistance! I guess I'll just LIE."

They apparently don't understand that I KNOW who gets benefits, and I know what their situations are.

And the funny thing..the ones who always scream the loudest are the ones who end up getting it for fraud. No shit. I can think of three right off the top of my head. One actually called the governor's advocacy office to complain about not getting foodstamps....she didn't get them because she hadn't turned in income verification. And I, stupidly, didn't deny her promptly, so like a day after I should have denied her, she calls the advocacy office and pisses and moans, and I had to start all over with her...

And as it turns out when I got the reviewer to help me untangle the unholy mess, they'd failed to report a LOT of income that meant they would have a big fat OVERPAYMENT and fraud referral.

Duh! Never would have caught it if she hadn't been such a grasping BITCH. She was over income for foodstamps ANYWAY. No kids in the household, just her and her husband...living with his mom...this was not a needy household.

The other one is a grandma who was continually trying to get disability (and who wasn't disabled, unless being a pill-popping freak is a disability. And apparently it is, though I think she got the disability because SS was SICK of her) and who had her grandson come to live with her....so she could collect TANF and foodstamps for him. She pissed and moaned about not getting the full amount, and then stupidly sent him in to get his own, separate foodstamps because she's that fucking stupid and greedy...and we discovered he wasn't living in the home at all. Whoops, TANF fraud, off to the fraud investigation unit you go, big fat file.

Last edited:

Just curious, how many of you are stupid and don't realize "reality" TV is staged?

Should we seriously be basing policy on what someone sees on TV?

Forum List

Back