Should Abortion Be Illegal Once a Heartbeat Is Detectable?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Shogun, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Across the country, Republicans and Democrats are wrangling over proposed changes to state abortion laws. On Tuesday, the Ohio House of Representatives voted on a measure that has the power to transform the state’s — and the nation’s — abortion dialogue. In a landmark move, the House voted 54 to 43 to ban abortions after a fetal heartbeat becomes detectable to doctors.

The measure, known as the “Heartbeat Bill,” has been touted by Republicans in the state, with the majority of them voting affirmatively for its passage. There has been no shortage of controversy surrounding the proposal, as a heartbeat can be detected as early as six weeks (by some accounts, it can be found even earlier). Also, the measure does not include exemptions for rape or incest, but it does include one for the health of the mother. Reuters has more about this intriguing legislative initiative:

Should Abortion Be Illegal Once a Heartbeat Is Detectable? | Breaking news and opinion on The Blaze

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    While the source (The Blaze) is a bit laughable, this article caught my attention because I've made this very same suggestion regarding A GREAT INTERNET ABORTION COMPROMISE spanning all the way back to my very first posted thread on this forum.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Demagoguery at its finest. Did the 'moral' majority who voted in the affirmative also guarantee other rights after birth? Clean water, clean air, proper healthcare, a good educaton, a safe neighborhood, two parents who nurtured and didn't abuse and maintain a sober & clean home and offer proper nutrition?

Did they provide for free contraceptives to any women of child bearing years? Proper sex education in the schools so that young girls and boys understand the dangers of STD and methods to prevent pregnancy?

Do these same autocrats who deny women the right to chose also provide funding for providing women with an understanding of domestic violence, power and control and how a child makes extricating themselves from such a relationship much more dangerous for she and her children?

Did they fund shelter's for women and children? Did they fund the court system so prosecutors and probation officers are trained on victimology and domestic violence? Is there funding to treat offenders for substance abuse and anger management while in custody and after release. Are Probation and Parole Officers funded to supervise caseloads of DV offenders with numbers low enough to assure enforcement of stay away and restraining orders?

Of course not, there is no revenue to offer any of these services. And anyway, when I suggest such services doesn't that make me a "statist' or defender of 'nanny statism"?

4. FuelRod

FuelRod Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +924
    No. But we're humans. Not dogs.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I don't see anything wrong with that.
    It would be pretty ridiculous to try and argue that it is not a life yet at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    You're comment is vague. Are you really equating women and children with dogs?

7. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,730
    Of course it should be illegal at that point.

Its amazing how liberals pick and choose which scientific facts to ignore. They don't want to admit that the unborn has its own DNA and its growing right from the begining.

Its also rather amazing that liberals don't want the people to have any say on the subject. Any attempts of bringing the subject to the people for a vote is met with fury. And yet Americans consistantly vote that abortion should not be used freely as birth control.

8. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    I don't know anyone who thinks abortion as a means of birth control is sane or practical. As for your being amazed, not all liberals hope to shut up the right to life crowd; your comment is pure hyperbole.

There was no fury in my post on this issue, unless pointing out the obvious demagoguery meets your defintiion of fury.

We punish illegality in America in two ways: we take away someone's money, and/or, we take away someone's liberty and freedom (which may include jail, prison or execution). Making abortion jillegal as early as this bill provides suggests that those who chose to do so might be charged with a capital crime and executed.

Of course you chose to disregard the reasons for abortion, means of contraception and issues of domestic violence and power and control. Why?

9. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,730
    The world doesn't revolve around you, I wasn't even referring to your post.

There are plenty of left wing nuts who think abortion is a "right" and can be used for whatever reason the mother sees fit, even if you choose to ignore them.

Thanks for stating the obvious that making something illegal will lead to arrests and jail time("taking away their liberty") for those who chose to break the law.

And yes, I choose to ignore things like domestic violence and "power and control" (whatever the hell that means) as valid reasons for abortion.
    Would those be justifiable reasons to muder other people? :cuckoo:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  10. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    You're really fucked up. Willful ignorance is not a virtue, though, I'm pretty sure your ignorance is both willful and congenital.