Should 13 year olds be allow to race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
I'm usually in favor of the Free Range Kids philosophy, where kids are allowed to take some reasonable risks, have some freedom to roam, building their bodies and minds without the constant supervision of the hover parent culture. But this story is over the top. I don't think kids this young should be doing this.

Controversy Begins to Swirl Over Death of Teen Racer

The motorcycle racing community is mourning the death of a promising 13-year-old rider in a crash at Indianapolis Motor Speedway while defending the youth circuit that allows teens to drive vehicles that can top 120 mph. Now controversy is swirling if these kids are too young to race in such a dangerous sport.

Peter Lenz of Vancouver, Wash., fell off his bike during the warmup lap for Sunday's first race at Indianapolis and was run over by another motorcycle, driven by a 12-year-old. Medical workers immediately placed Lenz in a neck brace, put him on a stretcher and began chest compressions while taking him to a hospital. He died several hours later.

The Marion County coroner's office said Lenz died from blunt force trauma. More details could be released Monday following an autopsy on the youngest driver or rider ever killed at the 101-year-old speedway.

Last edited:
I would guess that all the competitors had experience in other races before attempting a race at Indianapolis. If a person meets the qualifications, then they should not be denied. I personally feel that any standard that would include a 13 year old is not high enough.

I have to agree.... Im not sure at that age they are ready for those kinds of speeds, but obviously they have to qualify, so I could be wrong.

I know at 13 I was'nt ready... :eek:

I was just finding out about girls
:cool:

I'm usually in favor of the Free Range Kids philosophy, where kids are allowed to take some reasonable risks, have some freedom to roam, building their bodies and minds without the constant supervision of the hover parent culture. But this story is over the top. I don't think kids this young should be doing this.

Controversy Begins to Swirl Over Death of Teen Racer

The motorcycle racing community is mourning the death of a promising 13-year-old rider in a crash at Indianapolis Motor Speedway while defending the youth circuit that allows teens to drive vehicles that can top 120 mph. Now controversy is swirling if these kids are too young to race in such a dangerous sport.

Peter Lenz of Vancouver, Wash., fell off his bike during the warmup lap for Sunday's first race at Indianapolis and was run over by another motorcycle, driven by a 12-year-old. Medical workers immediately placed Lenz in a neck brace, put him on a stretcher and began chest compressions while taking him to a hospital. He died several hours later.

The Marion County coroner's office said Lenz died from blunt force trauma. More details could be released Monday following an autopsy on the youngest driver or rider ever killed at the 101-year-old speedway.

It was a freak accident. The kid killed was very talented on motorcycles. He was run over by a twelve year old. It could have happened to anyone racing. His death was not because of his incompetance.

Dispite what the family might be saying right now, I'm guessing they would give up an early promising motorcycle career for their son's life back.

Please explain how a motorcycle accident involving a 13 year old driver at 120 mph is a "freak accident".

Last edited:
Dispite what the family might be saying right now, I'm guessing they would give up an early promising motorcycle career for their son's life back.

Please explain how a motorcycle accident involving a 13 year old driver at 120 mph is a "freak accident".

You dont know that.... what if he died of heat stroke playing HS football?

Would they be wishing he stayed home playing PS3?

Im sure they are heartbroken, but it was an accident plain and simple.

Very very sad.

As far as "freak accident" goes.... well, I cant remember the last time I heard of 13 yr old dying at 120 MPH.... so pretty freak to me anyway.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del
For me, I look at the risk of injury factor. Can a 13 year old accurately measure the risk?

For me, I look at the risk of injury factor. Can a 13 year old accurately measure the risk?

I think so.... but only if he has been trained for yrs.... he was obviously qualified to do it.
Had he not gotten hit by the other rider, he would've walked away. Thats why it a freak thing...

I only hope the parents are OK, and can deal with the loss. Its a very sad day for them indeed.

I see youngsters in my sport all the time doing things in trucks I would only have dreamed about at 13 & 14 yrs old.... its impressive the skills they have at that age.
I'd turn my rig over to an experienced 13 yr old any day.

The kid wasn't going 120 mph. He was on a practice lap and laid his bike down. He wasn't moving at all. He was in the proccess of picking his bike up and the twelve year old apparently couldn't avoid running into him from behind. Freak accident. They were not racing. If anything the twelve year old should have been able to slow down and avoid the collision. There was time..the thirteen year old had laid his bike over as I said and was in the proccess of getting back on his bike. That takes time.

I like how everyone is all, it is so safe a sport. Then you get this later on tin the article, "Reigning world champ Valentino Rossi fell four times, including a spill Sunday morning during a 20-minute warmup session. Sunday's Moto2 race was shortened after a big wreck on the first lap took out four drivers."

Did you catch the bad wreck theh kid had before?

I like how everyone is all, it is so safe a sport. Then you get this later on tin the article, "Reigning world champ Valentino Rossi fell four times, including a spill Sunday morning during a 20-minute warmup session. Sunday's Moto2 race was shortened after a big wreck on the first lap took out four drivers."

Did you catch the bad wreck theh kid had before?

I knew of a young girl on a softball team. She was a great young athlete. She slid into second base and broke her leg. A blod clot went up into her brain and killed her before they could get her off of the field.

I had a cousin about 14 that was riding a dirt bike on a farm and the throttle stuck. Before he could dump the bike he ran into the back of a flatbed truck and was decapitated. Shit happens. Let the kids play. Let the kids compete.

I worry about my 15 ye old everytime she steps on the softball field.
But I cant keep her spirit for competition down.... its what makes her who she is.

And wow huggy..... the flatbed truck thing....OMG! :eek:

I would guess that all the competitors had experience in other races before attempting a race at Indianapolis. If a person meets the qualifications, then they should not be denied. I personally feel that any standard that would include a 13 year old is not high enough.

Let me see if I understand your position. The standard that says a 13 year old id old enough to walk to school by themselves is too low. All that proves is that you are not a parent I would want around any kids that are expected to contribute to society at some point in their lives.

This is a tragic event, but that does not mean we should stop children from participating in races, anymore than it means we should prohibit racing whenever anyone dies. At 13 I was doing motocross style stuff in the desert by myself, which is a lot more dangerous than these organized events. If you get your way all that would happen is these kids would go someplace they do not have adult supervision and immediate medical care in the event of an accident.

Forum List

Back