Shots Fired on board Airline - Miami

-Cp said:
Yup - good call on the Air Marshall's part... :)
Yeah. Whether or not he has a bomb, if you're flying from Columbia and you say "I've got a bomb" or whatever he said... you should expect to be shot. Apparently the suspect died; natural selection strikes again.

The ClayTaurus said:
Yeah. Whether or not he has a bomb, if you're flying from Columbia and you say "I've got a bomb" or whatever he said... you should expect to be shot. Apparently the suspect died; natural selection strikes again.

:D

Flight Attendant: Sir, we have a policy on this airline that if a bag is this large we take...
Greg Focker: okay you know what, take you scrubby little paws *off* my bag, okay? It's not like I have a bomb in here. It's not like I wanna blow up the plane. I just want to store my bag according to your safety regulations.
Flight Attendant: Sir, sir!
Greg Focker: Hey, hey, If you would take a second, take the little sticks out of your head, clean out your ears, and maybe you would see that I'm a person who has feelings, and all I have to do is do what I wanna do and all I want to do is hold on to my bag and not listen to you! And the only way that I would ever let go of my bag would be if you came over here right now and tried to pry it from my dead, lifeless fingers, okay? If you can get it from my kung-fu grip then you can come and have it, okay? Otherwise, step off, bitch.

-Cp said:
Yup - good call on the Air Marshall's part... :)

however I am a little concerned from a former "Sky Marshalls" and Investigators point of view.What concerns me is the subject had exited the flight and was in the gangway...he put his hand in a "Carry On" bag from the flight and said he had a bomb...when ordered to remove his hand he refused and was subsequently shot!(within guidelines)
What concerns me is did the "Air Marshalls" lack confidence in pre boarding examinations of carryon baggage? Or did they just go on auto pilot and respond without thinking clearly?

Since the New "Air Marshall" program was initiated approximately four years ago they have been plagued with problems...consisting of bad background checks on approximately 50% of candidates in training..
Also the basic requirement for candidates is a Four Year College degree with a 3.5gpa...No former law enforcement experience required.

In the seventees the requirement was two years of college and two or more years of law enforcement or military service...This may be some of the problems we are seeing with the New "Air Marshall" program...They pick those with a college degree and a high gpa but absolutely zero real time experience!

Just one mans opinion! ;)

archangel said:
however I am a little concerned from a former "Sky Marshalls" and Investigators point of view.What concerns me is the subject had exited the flight and was in the gangway...he put his hand in a "Carry On" bag from the flight and said he had a bomb...when ordered to remove his hand he refused and was subsequently shot!(within guidelines)
What concerns me is did the "Air Marshalls" lack confidence in pre boarding examinations of carryon baggage? Or did they just go on auto pilot and respond without thinking clearly?

Since the New "Air Marshall" program was initiated approximately four years ago they have been plagued with problems...consisting of bad background checks on approximately 50% of candidates in training..
Also the basic requirement for candidates is a Four Year College degree with a 3.5gpa...No former law enforcement experience required.

In the seventees the requirement was two years of college and two or more years of law enforcement or military service...This may be some of the problems we are seeing with the New "Air Marshall" program...They pick those with a college degree and a high gpa but absolutely zero real time experience!

where'd you get your accounts of what happend??

The spokesman said the passenger indicated during the flight that there was a bomb in a carry-on bag and upon landing immediately exited the aircraft through the jetway at Gate D42. Air marshals pursued and ordered the passenger to get down on the ground.

"The passenger then reached into his carry-on bag, at which point, consistent with air marshal training, the air marshals took the appropriate actions. Shots were fired as the team attempted to subdue the subject," the spokesman said.

The guy should have complied.

dmp said:
where'd you get your accounts of what happend??

The guy should have complied.

Newsmax...CNN same place as you! I do not disagree that he should have complied...just made a observation based on experience...nothing more...and I did say it was within guidelines....*shrug*

archangel said:

You have any sources for the wide range of facts you just dropped that the rest of us could verify on our own?

The ClayTaurus said:
You have any sources for the wide range of facts you just dropped that the rest of us could verify on our own?

Well you can go to the FAA govt employment site and search for openings for "Air Marshal" you will see the requirements clearly...also since you are so good at google research "Problems with background checks for FAA security and "Air Marshal"

archangel said:
Newsmax...CNN same place as you! I do not disagree that he should have complied...just made a observation based on experience...nothing more...and I did say it was within guidelines....*shrug*

CNN tells it differnent than you did above:

CNN said:
...the man said there was a bomb in his carry-on luggage, a Department of Homeland Security official said.

He was confronted by a team of federal air marshals, who pursued the man down the boarding bridge and ordered him to get on the ground, the official said. ( Watch scene after the incident -- 1:31)

When the man appeared to reach into his baggage, at least one shot was fired by the marshals, wounding the man, the official said, adding that the marshals' actions were consistent with their training. Officials said later that the man had died of his injuries.

Its NOT Just a guy who 'put his hand in'...

Sooooo,
did I miss this, or did they say if he really had a bomb or not?

Doesn't matter, I'm just curious.

dmp said:
CNN tells it differnent than you did above:

Its NOT Just a guy who 'put his hand in'...

I shortened the quotes from CNN...was not writing a arrest or incident report!
Just gave the jest in short...as I was aware that you had obviously seen the report...splitting hairs here! I just brought to the forefront the lack of confidence even law enforcement has in pre board checks and some problems in training etc...not condeming the officers involved!

dmp said:
Former retired badge? Is the badge no longer retired?

It's sitting on my shelf in full display...sigh.. it retired with me...a choice we all had!Those who left had the option to have their badge retired! :cof:

I'm guessing (due to lack of response)
that I either asked a stupid question or the
dude had no bomb.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Sooooo,
did I miss this, or did they say if he really had a bomb or not?

Doesn't matter, I'm just curious.

No bomb! and it doesn't matter!

archangel said:
I shortened the quotes from CNN...was not writing a arrest or incident report!
Just gave the jest in short...as I was aware that you had obviously seen the report...splitting hairs here! I just brought to the forefront the lack of confidence even law enforcement has in pre board checks and some problems in training etc...not condeming the officers involved!

It's just not honest to say "Dude put his hand in his carry-on, and was shot" - I feel the circumstanial details were vital.

dmp said:
It's just not honest to say "Dude put his hand in his carry-on, and was shot" - I feel the circumstanial details were vital.

did I not say put his hand in bag and say he had a bomb...was ordered to remove...refused then was shot?

archangel said:
did I not say put his hand in bag and say he had a bomb...was ordered to remove...refused then was shot?

Yes, that's what you said. And I wrote, that's not an honest-enough account of what happened. Holy Crap - to think you once 'investigated' stuff? :eek:

Hopefully no capital offenses...

Forum List

Back