Shoshone National Forest

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
locator_map.gif

I camped two nights outside Yellowstone in the Shoshone Nat Forest last month.

The first night was at The Pinnicles:

BrooksLake_WY_Morning_768.JPG

This is pretty much the view from my camp, except the lake still had ice on it

The second night was at Elk Fork:

ft_shoshone2.jpg

This was easy to enjoy because we were not aware of the recent, relatively close, Grizzly Attack
Evert, a field botanist, was mauled by a grizzly bear in the Kitty Creek Drainage area of the Shoshone National Forest, just east of Yellowstone National Park. It was confirmed that the bear involved was trapped and tranquilized hours before, as part of a Grizzly Bear research team. The bear was later shot and killed from a helicopter by wildlife officials. It was initially reported that Evert ignored posted warnings to avoid the area due to the likelihood of a bear encounter.[1] However, the sheriff deputy that recovered the body and Evert's family stated that the warning signs were no longer present.[2]

I cannot believe they shot the bear for being bearish after awakening from being trapped tranquilized.

Just beautiful Samson.

And yes, they should be protecting those Grizzlies. Grizzlies for whatever reason don't seem to overpopulate even though they really don't have any natural enemies. The one natural enemy of the black bear, however, is the Grizzlie, and without the presence of that enemy, the black bear overpopulates very quickly. Which has become a serious problem in our area and other places where the Grizzley population has been completely killed off.

Just beautiful Samson.

And yes, they should be protecting those Grizzlies. Grizzlies for whatever reason don't seem to overpopulate even though they really don't have any natural enemies. The one natural enemy of the black bear, however, is the Grizzlie, and without the presence of that enemy, the black bear overpopulates very quickly. Which has become a serious problem in our area and other places where the Grizzley population has been completely killed off.

Well, if you read the article, the Grizzly in question had been trapped and released, ironically, so that research could be done on Grizzlies, for, I presume, the benefit of the species. Ridiculous. Leave them ALONE.

Anyway, we camped on the southern end of Yellowstone/Grand Tetons at Brooks Lake, caught trout for dinner, then had a liesurely morning breaking camp before setting off to see Old Faithful, driving arounf Yellowstone Lake, then camping on the eastern edge outside of the park.

My advise to anyone going to Yellowstone is to camp in the Shoshone Nat Forest. First advantage to this is it is FREE for up to 16 days in a "Dispersed" area. Of course, you'll need to dig your own latrine, and bring in your own water, but I think this is worth not having to camp next to some hooplehead who's running his generator all freakin' day, and who leaves his dog yapping all day in camp.

So, pitch a nice tent, equip it, and use it as a base camp into Yellowstone, where the camping is Filled to the BRIM with hoopleheads...SHOULDER to SHOULDER.

i am glad we only have the small black bears here

and we still marvel at the damage they can cause...nothing like building a 'bear proof' enclosure for trash and watching the first bear that comes to it...push it over and bust it apart

i am glad we only have the small black bears here

and we still marvel at the damage they can cause...nothing like building a 'bear proof' enclosure for trash and watching the first bear that comes to it...push it over and bust it apart

Bear "Resistant"

Nobody up here claims to have built a Bear "Proof" container.

Forum List

Back