shortsighted, irresponsible, and reckless

Discussion in 'Politics' started by emptystep, Jan 11, 2013.

1. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Defense Secretary Holds News Conference | C-SPAN
    (there is a brief piece of the previous program at the beginning)

Another Briefing I saw on C-SPAN. This one really hit a cord however. Hearing the strain in Panette's voice is something I have not heard since stationed in Germany in 1991. That was another time military was being gutted. The pain in a commander's voice when his unit is being by forces almost as bad as any combat mission. This was another time when the president and congress decided to play politics with the men and women of the armed forces.

Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta
    Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey
    Analyst: Under sequestration, furloughs for ‘virtually all’ DoD civilians | Federal Times | federaltimes.com
    We would be completely unable to response to any threat short of continental invasion. That fact is a green light for any country opposed the the United States and can not be overemphasized. As I am putting together in another thread there are missions which we must engage in for national security and are in our national interest.

I blame both houses of congress and all parties of congress. I also blame the president for I feel his policies have become shortsighted, irresponsible, and reckless. I just hope that Hagel is not going to be the person assigned to hollow out the military.

(I tried to find a video of the simple act that the military performs every day before work. They assemble, account for every member of the unit and raise the flag. I found videos for Iwo Jima, WTC, Sandy Hook, other organizations, and other countries. This the most appropriate I could find. Perhaps one morning the members of congress should assemble outside, be accounted for, salute the raising of the flag, then they can go inside and do their job.)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DUtO_pyx2c]Flag Raising in Afghanistan - YouTube[/ame]

2. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    Emptyhead must think we can just keep funding payments to individuals (gubmint handouts) without commensurate cuts in other places.

[​IMG]

3. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Hey, if it has got to come from somewhere else so be it. Don't gut defense.
    (I can't believe I am the one saying this.)

After I got out of the military I said I would never again work for the government. My first job out of college was for a defense contractor, SAIC.

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    Cuts don't "Hollow out Defense", they Hollow out Empire. Which is how the US conducts itself around the world. The US hasn't fought a war for our own "Freedom" since WWII.

Cut the Defense budget and close down 75% of the overseas bases and we'll be just fine.

Americans need to stop letting the Military Industrial Complex run our Gov't, our Economy and our Country.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    You mean there is someone in a government -funded agency who is saying "cut someone's else's budget - but not MINE. Mine is important"?????????????????

WOW, stop the presses.

5% across the board - NO sacred cows. The DOD is every bit as bloated and wasteful as every other government agency. If this guy can't get the job done with 5% less, we'll find someone who can.

Don't let the door hit ya ......

6. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    If you are going to kill the Defense Department fine. At least let them die an honorable death. Going beyond the $487B in spending reductions is shortsighted, irresponsible, and reckless.

Did you see the thread I just started in the Africa section? I'm the first one who will chant 'world peace' but let's not be stupid on our way there.

7. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    More than $600 billion to prosecute the war in Afghanistan and more than $800 billion to prosecute the war in Iraq.

There's $1.4 trillion right there.

But cutting more than $487 billion is "short-sighted, irresponsible, and reckless"?????

Re-load soldier, you missed the mark on this one.

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592

Much ado about nothing. Sequestration isn't going to happen.

9. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Those numbers are overall. In case you don't see it $487 is about half a trillion. And what are you advocating? Instantly ended all funding for Afghanistan. Are you at least going to buy them plane tickets back to the States. Iraq is over with by the way.

10. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Winding down those conflicts SHOULD produce a lot more than $487 in savings.