Shopping Trips Do Not Include Wal-Mart

Shattered said:
I never said all of them were.. But how hard is it to answer a simple question, which is what *should* these people be making without any form of education, and while doing a job that *ANYONE* can do? CNA's in training don't even make that much to start with, and personally, I think that job is a worth a hell of a lot more...

If you and anyone would read carefully, I think Walmart and others are correct. I've already said that the vast majority of their employees are teens and women who probably have insurance through their spouse.

IMHO CNA's and others with those kind of responsibilites should make more.

Kathianne said:
If you and anyone would read carefully, I think Walmart and others are correct. I've already said that the vast majority of their employees are teens and women who probably have insurance through their spouse.

IMHO CNA's and others with those kind of responsibilites should make more.

Umm.. You jumped my post, and when I responded, you responded with something that had nothing to do with my post..

What the hell gives with you tonight? PMSing, or just bad day?

What about men who have insurance through their spouse? I am sure they are out there as well.
I have nothing against Wal-Mart. Like any corporation, they give people a place to work. The pay and working conditions may not be good, but at least Wally World hasn't outsourced any jobs, or shut down and moved to Central America for cheaper labor.

This is in response to FreeandFun's last post.

It is my understanding that at least 10%, if not more, of the trade imbalance with China is due to Wal-Mart’s purchasing goods directly from China. In addition to direct purchases from China, Wal-Mart also buys from American companies, but the criteria Wal-Mart lays down for such purchases--such as telling these companies how much Wal-Mart will pay for a product before they will give it shelf space in their stores-- forces these companies to purchase from China in order to do business with Wal-Mart. In other words, if these companies want to stay in business, they have to have Wal-Mart’s business, so they have to buy from China to meet Wal-Mart’s low cost criteria.

Costco, K-Mart, Sears, etc. are not remotely in the same league with Wal-Mart, although they are doing their best to compete. I “pick” on Wal-Mart, as you put it, because they have established undesirable business practices that will eventually ruin American business as we know it. Their standard is rock-bottom prices, which in turn creates low pay, part-time work, few benefits, etc. for those who work there and could have an out-reach to other companies that do business with them. Don’t be fooled—there are good reasons for all the backlash against Wal-Mart in America.

So Wal-Mart stores in China are “kicking ass”, are they? Haven’t the All-China Federation of Trade Unions launched a public relations campaign against Wal-Mart over Wal-Mart’s refusal to let Chinese workers unionize, and hasn’t there been threats to sue Wal-Mart in the Chinese courts over their business practices? All this in spite of the fact that when Wal-Mart entered into an agreement with China to do business in that country, it was aware of China’s Trade Union Law that states clearly that “a union shall be set up in any enterprise with 25 or more workers.” The Chinese Corporate Affairs Manager for Wal-Mart admits that wages paid by Wal-Mart to its Chinese employees provides “basic existence” for a single person, but not even a “basic existence” level for a family. Sound familiar? Could your family survive on an income of less than $20,000 a year in America, and far less than that in China? This is what you’re supporting when you choose to buy from Wal-Mart. But, hey, it’s your choice!

Another reason I do not support Wal-Mart is because it supported China against a Tennessee company that brought suit against China before the International Trade Commission for “dumping” TV sets in the U.S. market. “Dumping” (selling a product for less than it costs to produce it) is illegal under international law. China’s illegal business practices had almost forced this company out of business, but yet Wal-Mart saw fit to take China’s side against an American company that was fighting for its life. Wal-Mart is not the supporter of "Made in the USA" that many people think it is. Luckily, the Tennessee company won its case and continues in business today.

Do some research on the internet about Wal-Mart and China and then come back and tell me if I am “friggin’ high.” I'll even provide the link for you about the Tennessee company's experience just to get you started. It's quite a long article, so you'll probably want to print it out to read it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/interviews/hopson.html

Could your family survive on an income of less than $20,000 a year in America, and far less than that in China?

A) Get a better job. Don't have the skills? That's not anyone elses fault. Learn them.
B) Don't have children if you know you can't afford them.
C) You still skirt the question on exactly what you THINK these people should be making. Why?

Shattered said:
A) Get a better job. Don't have the skills? That's not anyone elses fault. Learn them.
B) Don't have children if you know you can't afford them.
C) You still skirt the question on exactly what you THINK these people should be making. Why?

Great points!

I am proud to admit I shop at Wal-Mart. I like to have everything all at one stop. My son is hitting the terrible 2's (with a bang!) so shopping is not as easy with him anymore. Our wal-mart is not a super walmart, but they just added a frozen foods section, thus eliminating my need to go to the grocery store next door. Anything I can't get (or forget to get) at wal-mart, I order through a local company that delivers groceries, called www.simondelivers.com . Most of the time, I order through them, but wal-mart has great prices on bread, milk, and other little things, and our wal-mart is open 24 hours.

any parent who has had a child, sick in the middle of the night, and you run out of tylenol or any other remedy, a 24 hour wal-mart is a God-send.

when my son was still on Enfamil, I could get a large can there for $16. Target had theirs priced at $22 for the large can. Go through a can a week, and that really adds up, especially since we were scraping every penny we had to save for the closing on our house.

honestly, there isn't much more here. there's target, and Kmart, and the local grocery stores, but the rest are specialty stores and restaurants. wal-mart gave way to all the other stores we have here, thus bringing in more money, and more jobs.

Tell you what, Shattered. You go back and respond to some of the points made against Wal-Mart in the original article, and I will try to respond to your claim that a monkey can operate a cash register at Wal-Mart.

I have already responded to them. Putting smaller companies out of business? Shit happens. Money's what makes the world go around. If Wal-Mart isn't able to satisfy people, they'll stop shopping there - period.

Insurance? No employer is *required* to proivide health insurance to their employees - I don't see you jumping all over other corportations (big or small) that don't. Health insurance can be purchased seperately for a monthly fee as well.

Low pay? Again - what the hell do you EXPECT for a job that has no real educational requirements? $8.23 an hour? Gimme a break - MINIMUM WAGE is 5-something - that's all that job is WORTH. The kids that work at McDonalds flipping burgers for $6.00 an hour work harder than those standing behind a cash register at Wal-Mart.

The way I see it is at least Wal-Mart is one of the FEW companies willing to give cranky, lazy, bitter people a job to begin with. *I* sure as hell wouldn't hire them. They don't give a shit about their attitude, they don't give a shit about their surroundings, and they think everything should be handed to them with minimal effort to reach out and get it on their part.. Are you one of those people? Is that why you're so angry and bitter? The people that DO shop at Wal-Mart are the ones keeping these people working.

Forum List

Back