Shopping again

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
I went to the supermarket (again). I bought, among other things, a roll of bin liners, lime scented. When I got home I unwrapped the roll and saw on the label a toll-free number to call for “Consumer Help”. Consumer Help? Bin liners?

At least it didn't say “CAUTION – CONTENTS CONTAIN PLASTIC” or 'THIS IS NOT A TOY, DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR TODDLER'S HEAD AS PART OF YOUR DOMESTIC ATTEMPTS AT EMULATING GEORGE LUCAS WITH YOUR VIDEOCAM OR HOPING TO GET ONTO 'AUSTRALIA'S MOST STUPID HOME VIDEOS'”.

Oh and did I tell you that a few years ago all our public warning safety signs about “inflammable” (ie combustible) liquids and other materials had to be changed? Apparently the idiocracy here thought that “inflammable” meant “unable to catch fire”. So all signs were changed to “flammable” and wouldn't you know it, overnight people stopped accidentally self-immolating.

We really are that dumb.

I went to the supermarket (again). I bought, among other things, a roll of bin liners, lime scented. When I got home I unwrapped the roll and saw on the label a toll-free number to call for “Consumer Help”. Consumer Help? Bin liners?

At least it didn't say “CAUTION – CONTENTS CONTAIN PLASTIC” or 'THIS IS NOT A TOY, DO NOT PUT THIS ON YOUR TODDLER'S HEAD AS PART OF YOUR DOMESTIC ATTEMPTS AT EMULATING GEORGE LUCAS WITH YOUR VIDEOCAM OR HOPING TO GET ONTO 'AUSTRALIA'S MOST STUPID HOME VIDEOS'”.

Oh and did I tell you that a few years ago all our public warning safety signs about “inflammable” (ie combustible) liquids and other materials had to be changed? Apparently the idiocracy here thought that “inflammable” meant “unable to catch fire”. So all signs were changed to “flammable” and wouldn't you know it, overnight people stopped accidentally self-immolating.

We really are that dumb.

Well I could call them. I think the scented ones smell worse than the garbage.. :lol:

Seriously, I bought a box of them and I have to hold my breath everytime I open one.

I will assume a bin liner is a trash bag.

Yes, in Oz a bin is a trash can. Therefore a bin liner would be the trash bag placed inside the bin to collect trash (rubbish, yada yada).

:D

Would be interesting to put together an AUS=US dictionary. Australians have a lot of words that don't mean the same here in the US.

For instance:

Thongs in Australia are flip flops here.

Thongs in the USA are butt-floss bathing suits or undergarments.

A singlet in Australia is a tank top in the USA.

In America we root for a team, but if you did that in Australia, you'd be fucking the team.

In Australia they barrack for the team.

In Australia taking the piss means playing a joke on someone, not actually taking a piss.

In the US taking a piss, literally means going to the rest room and going #1.

In America if we are pissed, we are very angry.

In Australia if they are pissed, they are drunk as a skunk.

In Australia you would use a serviette to wipe your face.

In America we use napkins.

So many more.....Diruetic....you really should throw in your $1.50 worh (AUSD--its probably worth more by now). ;)

I find the differnces in our terminology/vernacular, whatever to be very interesting. :D

Oh.....and we're really that dumb here too.

On our Maccas coffee cups, it warns "CAUTION: HOT LIQUID, MAY CAUSE SERIOUS BURNS". I kid you not! :rofl:

Yes, in Oz a bin is a trash can. Therefore a bin liner would be the trash bag placed inside the bin to collect trash (rubbish, yada yada).

Would be interesting to put together an AUS=US dictionary. Australians have a lot of words that don't mean the same here in the US.

For instance:

In America we root for a team, but if you did that in Australia, you'd be fucking the team.

In Australia taking the piss means playing a joke on someone, not actually taking a piss.

So many more.....Diruetic....you really should throw in your $1.50 worh (AUSD--its probably worth more by now). ;)

I find the differnces in our terminology/vernacular, whatever to be very interesting. :D

On our Maccas coffee cups, it warns "CAUTION: HOT LIQUID, MAY CAUSE SERIOUS BURNS". I kid you not! :rofl:

The last one is needed to avoid lawsuits.

And yes I know that the Mac Donald's coffee in that case was too hot. Doesn't change the fact that only a DUMB ASS puts hot liquids between their legs while driving.

I know what a Loo is.

For instance:

The last one is needed to avoid lawsuits.

And yes I know that the Mac Donald's coffee in that case was too hot. Doesn't change the fact that only a DUMB ASS puts hot liquids between their legs while driving.

I know what a Loo is.

perhaps if you read up on the mcdonalds burn case you will stop being a dumb sob about it...

Even more eye-opening was the revelation that McDonald's had seen such injuries many times before. Company documents showed that in the past decade McDonald's had received at least 700 reports of coffee burns ranging from mild to third degree, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.

Some observers wonder why McDonald's, after years of settling coffee-burn cases, chose to take this one to trial. After all, the plaintiff was a sympathetic figure—an articulate, 81-year-old former department store clerk who said under oath that she had never filed suit before. In fact, she said, she never would have filed this one if McDonald's hadn't dismissed her requests for compensation for pain and medical bills with an offer of $800.

(left out mal)

The trial lasted seven sometimes mind-numbing days. Experts dueled over the temperature at which coffee causes burns. A scientist testifying for McDonald's argued that any coffee hotter than 130 degrees could produce third-degree burns, so it didn't matter whether Mc Donald's coffee was hotter. But a doctor testifying on behalf of Mrs. Liebeck argued that lowering the serving temperature to about 160 degrees could make a big difference, because it takes less than three seconds to produce a third-degree burn at 190 degrees, about 12 to 15 seconds at 180 degrees and about 20 seconds at 160 degrees.

The testimony of Mr. Appleton, the McDonald's executive, didn't help the company, jurors said later. He testified that McDonald's knew its coffee sometimes caused serious burns, but hadn't consulted burn experts about it. He also testified that McDonald's had decided not to warn customers about the possibility of severe burns, even though most people wouldn't think it possible. Finally, he testified that McDonald's didn't intend to change any of its coffee policies or procedures, saying, "There are more serious dangers in restaurants."

McDonalds Lawsuit | McDonalds Hot Coffee Lawsuit

but hey dont let facts get in the way of your non informed opinion

Ya don't let the simple fact that the old broad KNOWINGLY took a scalding hot cup of coffee ( in a paper cup no less) and put it between her legs while driving.

Forum List

Back