Shooting

Shooter

Semper Fi
Sep 1, 2010
Florida
Anyone here shoot? How often do you go to the range?

I am a die-hard shooting fanatic. Have been ever since my father gave me my first rifle. I've been in over 30 big and small competitions. I go to the local range every now and then but I mainly go to a 1,000 yard range about 30 minutes from my house. I go about 4 times a week. Long-range shooting is my absolute passion. I even bring Rada with me every now and then. She had never shot a weapon of any sort until she met me. She's getting better every time.

I shoot when I can, unfortunately it's not very often. I get to shoot maybe ten to 20 times a year mostly to keep my skills up especially when re-qual rolls around. Once or twice a year a group of us get together in PA for a class 3 shoot, now that's fun!

i am also shooting fanatic!!but i rarelyi got a time to go for a range as i have very tght schedule after getting job....but whenevr i got a time i definitely go there for a range...its amazing feeling while shooting....

Anyone here shoot? How often do you go to the range?

I am a die-hard shooting fanatic. Have been ever since my father gave me my first rifle. I've been in over 30 big and small competitions. I go to the local range every now and then but I mainly go to a 1,000 yard range about 30 minutes from my house. I go about 4 times a week. Long-range shooting is my absolute passion. I even bring Rada with me every now and then. She had never shot a weapon of any sort until she met me. She's getting better every time.
A thousand yard range? :eek: What's the greatest distance you've successfully shot from and what weapons do you normally bring with you to the range?

And finally, what is a "Rada"?

I shot 236 with the M-1 on the P.I. range while in boot camp (in the 50s) and I always shot in the lower 230s after that. I had a Remington 700 in .243 with a scope along with an M-1 Carbine and a few other items that myself and a few friends used to shoot in an old quarry in upstate new york back in the 60s.

That all came to an end when I got into archery, which became an obsession that completely wiped out my interest in firearms -- all of which I sold off except for my Remington 870 and my S&W Model 19, which I keep for protective purposes.

I'm on in years now so I don't shoot competitively anymore but I've won a bit of money shooting in the annual NFAA (National Field Archers Association) tournaments at the Riviera in Las Vegas in my time. Now I just shoot in a field near my house when the weather is nice.

Have you ever shot a bow?

By the way, Semper Fi!

Last edited:
When I was a guard at a nuclear power plant, we had to requalify every year with our handgun and the AR-15. I always shot well. I have been retired since 2006 so I haven't shot any since then except to murder an occasional deer.

I shoot. Not on a range though, just off my porch usually.

I have not shot at anything 1,000 yds away since Nam though.

I love shooting to. I have land so i shoot often just outside my house. most of it is field and the longest distance we can shoot is about 900YDs I bought the house i grew up in and have been shooting out there for years i have a 7mm Mauser and can usually pick off a Groundhog at around 750yds open sight.
I shoot a lot of 22cal just cause rounds are cheap. sometimes we shoot clay pigeons or rabbits with 12GA
When i really want to reach out and hit something nuts on i have a panther LR-308 with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 Scope i love my 7mm Mauser as it was my first rifle but damn that .308 is beautiful and fun to shoot
unless your a Ground hog on the receiving end!

I use to go every weekend until they close the range down. That was almost a year ago. Theres not many outdoor ranges around here, and most of my firearms can't be shot in doors.

Last edited:
When I am home I shoot pretty much every day. I have a 300 yard range next to the house and my friends and I built an 1800 yd range about an hour away from home.
For intermediate range I use a Steyr SSG PII in 7.62X51. For long range I have a Accuracy International in .338 Lapua, and for really long range I have a Research Aramament Industries .50 BMG.

When I am home I shoot pretty much every day. I have a 300 yard range next to the house and my friends and I built an 1800 yd range about an hour away from home.
For intermediate range I use a Steyr SSG PII in 7.62X51. For long range I have a Accuracy International in .338 Lapua, and for really long range I have a Research Aramament Industries .50 BMG.
I would have a .50 if I had someplace to shoot it.

I would have a .50 if I had someplace to shoot it.

There has to be a long enough range somewhere within a few hours of you....unless you live in the eastern US, then it can get a bit tough.

Went to a Frozen Chosin combat match on Saturday. Lots of fun.

I was taking the pictures so I'm not in them. Here is the 400 yard line

DSCN1796.jpg

Some of the guys in the second relay
DSCN1795.jpg

The target we were shooting
DSCN1794.jpg

Picture of the pits
DSCN1793.jpg

Yeah. When I lived up there I competed in IPSC. Small and large bore silhouette competitions. Rifle and pistol.

Nowadays I just shoot some clays and practice with a 226 to keep in tune.

Forum List

Back