Shogun's Great Weed Compromise

I'm willing to cede the second reason I gave, about a closet being insufficient to support a habit. I spoke in ignorance.

I do still think convenience stores would do a booming weed business, though, for the main reason I gave: convenience. Many - perhaps even most - people are willing to pay through the nose and settle for mediocrity in exchange for convenience.

Despite its efficiency, home growing would be hobby, seen through only by enthusiasts. Sure you'd have people starting, but just as there are countless Nordic Traks now serving only as clothes hangers, most new closet gardens would end up plant graveyards, and though the process was legal and easy to learn of, you'd have lots of smokers saying/thinking "yeah I should really get something like going," and then feeding their habit primarily from the store (complaining about the prices while they're at, of course) and perhaps that one guy they know that's actually growing stuff competently and consitantly.

I betcha even the home growers would find themselves occasionally stopping at a Circle K on the way home from work.

but even the heaviest smoker can take down maybe quarter of headies a week

i probably wouldnt bet the house on that, dude. Especially if it were legal. Scarcity and legal status mold behavour now... Im willing to bet that 2 oz of the kind of shit willie nelson and jerry garcia get wouldn't amount to much in a single month. no longer would it be necessary to horde the kind nugs by individual gram. have you seen the size of a bowl on a decent sized hookah?

just sayin..

ill reply to the rest tommorow....

after I enjoy this left handed cigarette.

but even the heaviest smoker can take down maybe quarter of headies a week

i probably wouldnt bet the house on that, dude. Especially if it were legal. Scarcity and legal status mold behavour now... Im willing to bet that 2 oz of the kind of shit willie nelson and jerry garcia get wouldn't amount to much in a single month. no longer would it be necessary to horde the kind nugs by individual gram. have you seen the size of a bowl on a decent sized hookah?

just sayin..

ill reply to the rest tommorow....

after I enjoy this left handed cigarette.

I guess I'm basing that off personal experience. At least for me, hypothetically I've been smoking striaght hash oil for a month until 2 weeks ago, and hypothetically if I went back to californian cigars then I still would only be able to handle a quarter of medical grade a week. Hypothetically.

I guess I'm basing that off personal experience. At least for me, hypothetically I've been smoking striaght hash oil for a month until 2 weeks ago, and hypothetically if I went back to californian cigars then I still would only be able to handle a quarter of medical grade a week. Hypothetically.

sure.. but thats only for your personal enjoyment.. Now, what if you and your friends that are cool settle in and use pot like we now use beer on an event like a superbowl party? Summer bbq? Camping trip?

Sure you would.

The main reason would be convenience. You could grow and nurture plants, maintain their little environment, harvest and properly dry them, and prepare them for consumption, ...or, you could walk into a store and after a brief stint standing in line have a pack of smokes ready to go. Granted, the former option wouldn't really require all that much effort or attention, but it would require some effort and attention, and plenty of people are quite willing to spend extra money on an inferior product to save (even a little) time, effort and attention (witness the success of fast food franchises).

A second reason would be quantity. A closet full of plants isn't going to produce all that much. When people smoke, they tend to do it habitually, and casual home-growing isn't going to support a habit.

After all, how hard is to grow tobacco, really? How much effort does it really take to make alchaholic beverages? What portion of smokers and drinkers are more than willing to overspend on smokes/drinks that aren't as good as the ones they could make themselves?

I don't think the feasibility of growing at home would make any noticeable dent in convenience store sells.

This doesn't stop people from planting vegetable gardens. Even though they can just go to the grocery store instead.

This doesn't stop people from planting vegetable gardens. Even though they can just go to the grocery store instead.

Are more people eating carrots from grocery stores or carrots from local gardens?

How many plants do you have in the ground right now?

That's certainly true.

How much impact do you think those home gardens have on grocery store vegetable sales? For that matter, how much impact do whole farmers' markets have on chain grocery stores' vegetable departments?

How much impact do you think closet/attic gardens would have on weed sales in convenience stores?

My guess: by and large, approximately jack and squat.

I wasn't trying to make a point other than to say that not everyone relies on the store.

Shogun, what plants do you mean? Veggies or weed? Because I actually just started a big veg garden, probably 100 seeds were planted.

And I've had a weed plant growing for about 2 months now that I just transferred outside. I don't smoke much anymore, maybe a puff at night here and there to relax and wind down, but I recently moved to a new house and I have a backyard and woods again, something I haven't had in about 5 years. So I basically just wanted to do it for old time's sake.

If weed was legalized, considering how little I smoke anymore, I'd obviously use the store to purchase some, but I would also take advantage of being able to legally grow it myself without all the hassle.

For me, growing anything consists of 50% enjoyment from the product, and 50% enjoyment from creating something and watching it grow to maturity. I enjoy every bit of the hard work it takes to cultivate and maintain any type of garden.

I hear ya, dude. I have some 'maters and a whole array of bell peppers growing off of my deck this season..

fair enough. maybe you are right. I cant predict the future.

If weed was legalized, considering how little I smoke anymore, I'd obviously use the store to purchase some, but I would also take advantage of being able to legally grow it myself without all the hassle.

For me, growing anything consists of 50% enjoyment from the product, and 50% enjoyment from creating something and watching it grow to maturity. I enjoy every bit of the hard work it takes to cultivate and maintain any type of garden.

I'm thinking that you could get it for free from a friend with a weed garden, or at least get some for free.

Shogun, I haven't found a good comparison yet. The alcohol doesn't work because better alcohol can be made cheaper, which is why it's always store bought. Veggies don't work because the labor required to harvest 20 bucks worth of tomatos could harvest 1000 worth of weed.

I think some people would grow it but I'd guess the majority wouldn't. It shouldn't be illegal to grow, either.

I'm thinking that you could get it for free from a friend with a weed garden, or at least get some for free.

Shogun, I haven't found a good comparison yet. The alcohol doesn't work because better alcohol can be made cheaper, which is why it's always store bought. Veggies don't work because the labor required to harvest 20 bucks worth of tomatos could harvest 1000 worth of weed.

I could get cheap grain alcohol from Uncle bobby and his moonlight distillery too. Alcohol DOES work because everyone who brews their own is not crashing the giant alcohol market and you don't get your beer from jow down the street with his carboy. Veggies the same. So, some people may partake of illegal weed. If your friends were busted, like the above old timer and his apple pie flavoured alcohol, he would have his privilage to smoke legally pulled for 5 years. I'm willing to bet that, much like alcohol distributers NOW who rely on such for their income, you'd see less blackmarket weed than we do now.

but, keep in mind, potheads who cant walk the line will convey why it would remain illegal.

but, feel free to offer your own ideas regarding potential legalization. If we can't act responsibly then we deserve our collective drug war culture.

Forum List

Back