Shogun's Great Weed Compromise

A few problems with your ideas, shogun.

1. The biggest problem with legalization is that it will not be that easy to tax. The plant is a weed. Throw a seed in a hole in your yard and a plant will grow. Get a light, and some dirt and you can grow quality weed in your closet for a very low price, and at a higher quality than any mass production product. Regardless of the legality, price will always determine the flow of drugs. If I can grow a plant in my closet, then I have no reason to want to go to a convience store and buy expensive, lower quality weed. In Cali, there are compassion clubs that sell top of the line medicinal, yet the price is still outragously expensive.

This is why I suggest taxing regulated dealers who, as we know, will pass on their tax to consumers while limiting the number of personal plants that one can grow legally. I can make up to 200 gallons per year of home made wine without having to worry about taxes. I would consider similar rules with pot.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...access.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/aprqtr/27cfr24.75.htm

Anyone caught above these limits would get charged with felonious production and have their liberty to partake restricted above. Of course, people still ferment illegal grain alcohol.. but, are the masses going to the liquer store or distilling their own under the moonlight?

I address the qualities above. By giving the market legitimacy we'll see trademarks erupt onto the scene and even better strains than what can be found now. Besides, let's be honest, chances are you homegrown doesn't look like anything out of high times magazine.

Indeed, if the only way to consume pot legally is via federally regulated dealer stamp and you decided to remain in the criminal loop then you would be charged with criminal posession much like a felon with a handgun. I think the legality of this system is quite the selling point and I don't think that the generations of potheads will rebel when they can either consume with the risk of jail or without the risk of incarceration.

See above, I said dealers; not gas stations. Also, those current high (HA!) prices are the result of a narrow as hell market. This, of course, would be flooded with different comapnies that both sell and produce the weed. You won't pay 45/qtr when your options look more like www.pricewatch.com than trying to buy a mac from www.apple.com.

2. The saliva test is not full proof or even proven to be reliable. Weed can be cooked into food, which won't show up in saliva. I'd probably eat weed food more than smoke it if we legalized it cause smoking is bad for my lungs and it makes running a lot less enjoyable.

Neither are breathalyzers fool proof. Does anyone ever get slightly buzzed from eating brownies?
http://www.fugly.com/videos/7897/cop_calls_911_after_eating_marijuana_brownies.html

Besides, there ARE reliable tests that show the concentration of THC in the body and post-accidents could trigger drug tests with reasonable suspicion. auto Insurance coverage could be suspended if a blood/urine test results in a positive according to a specific level. There ARE options and there IS potential to create better testing methods.

ps, Alan Ginsberg ate pot on crackers when he became too old to consume by smoking.

3. Limits on yearly production are only for show. How often does the yearly wine quota law get enforced? If someone is growing outside, then it's going to be real hard to hold a case against them if their plants pollinate each other and make new plants.

I guess that depends on how much one is trying to sell. Grain alcohol distileries still get raided. People are still arrested. MY point is who bothers going through the trouble of growing when convenience is a factor of our society and the consequence for not playing by the rules means the revocation of the liberty to smoke? Sure, I CAN make my own whiskey and sell my own wine illegally.. but, is the risk worth it? Im betting the answer is no. And, if it is and someone is busted, they get five years per count to think about their mistake.

73-year-old Shriner busted with special-recipe 'apple pie'
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
MOUNT PLEASANT — A sweet-tasting grain alcohol concoction has an elderly Shriner and his girlfriend in trouble with the law after officers caught them hawking Mason jars of the brew at a temple party, authorities said.
http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/mar/26/year_old_shriner_busted_special_recipe_a34967/

Don't forget, the general US population is not horticulture phenoms or growers out of a cheach and chong movie. The High Grow application and hippy bookstore literature doesn't guarentee a worthwhile product. Sure, some will get lucky and correctly identify a female plant but, so too, people also make lots of alcoholic beverages that are clearly poorer quality than even a bottle of six buck chuck.

Thanks for the input. I dont presume to have THE answer for this issue but it's AN answer beyond the stagnant cycle this far out of the 60s.

You can at least arrest people for breaking that law.

but you can't redact the results of legal consumption of alcohol. An arrest doesn't put the brain jelly back into the cranium of the family of four.

....and DUIs can be grounds for arrest too.

but you can't redact the results of legal consumption of alcohol. An arrest doesn't put the brain jelly back into the cranium of the family of four.

....and DUIs can be grounds for arrest too.

I know. But causing psychosis is a different problem altogether, no? As far as I know alcohol doesn't cause it. I see your point and I'm all for legalizing the stuff, but I'm not so sure you can equate it with alcohol.

Shog, what if it turns out to be true that THC can lead to psychosis?

If it "turns out" to be true, then it has always been true. Then shame on everyone from thousands of years ago to now for going so long without realizing that THC causes psychosis.

I don't think it will though. Similiar conclusions had been made about lsd until proven false.

I know. But causing psychosis is a different problem altogether, no? As far as I know alcohol doesn't cause it. I see your point and I'm all for legalizing the stuff, but I'm not so sure you can equate it with alcohol.

ever had close contact with a lifelong alcoholic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis
Substance use

Psychotic states may occur after ingesting a variety of substances both legal and illegal and both prescription and non prescription. Psychoactive drug intoxication or withdrawal. Drugs whose use, abuse or withdrawal are implicated include:

* alcohol[56][57][58]

ever had close contact with a lifelong alcoholic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis
Substance use

Psychotic states may occur after ingesting a variety of substances both legal and illegal and both prescription and non prescription. Psychoactive drug intoxication or withdrawal. Drugs whose use, abuse or withdrawal are implicated include:

* alcohol[56][57][58]

But, at least as far as I know, alcoholics have a problem that leads to alcoholism. It's a symptom, not a disease (usually of depression, etc.). So having a couple of drinks isn't going to cause psychosis while maybe smoking a few would.

But, at least as far as I know, alcoholics have a problem that leads to alcoholism. It's a symptom, not a disease (usually of depression, etc.). So having a couple of drinks isn't going to cause psychosis while maybe smoking a few would.

i suggest, if you are over the age of 18, that you go smoke a few buds and find out how silly that opinion is.

I gotta agree with Shogun. As juvenile as it sounds to say this, there really is not good way to fully understand marijuana without trying it. Someone will say "I don't have to kill someone to know murder is wrong", but that's apples to oranges.

Wait a minute. Who says I haven't? And anyway, what has that got to do with actual psychosis? If it causes permanent psychosis this is never going to fly.

Wait a minute. Who says I haven't? And anyway, what has that got to do with actual psychosis? If it causes permanent psychosis this is never going to fly.

It likely won't fly regardless.

But what I'd like to know is where you came up with this ludicrous notion that it causes psychosis?

Perhaps you should start posting your evidence that it DOES cause psychosis and I'll show you exactly the same with alcohol. In light of every negative aspect of alcohol from addiction to PSYCHOSIS to brain jelly it's kinda silly to hold such a standard, eh?

A 5th of what pray tell? SoCo? Jack? Beam? Oh wait...you're a chick...Malibu?

:rofl: ha!

i'd more likely take a fith of vodkah and make a cape coddah! ;)

seriously, i don't go much for the hard alcohol, mostly just beer and wine, but i wouldn't turn down a z of the kind stuff. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back