Shock! TM: Consumer Confidence Plunged In May

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
TM got something wrong through bum source: :eek:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/225465-consumer-confidence-hignest-since-10-2007-a.html

Consumer Sentiment in U.S. Climbs to Highest Since 2007
By Alex Kowalski - May 25, 2012 3:59 PM CT

Consumer confidence rose in May to the highest level since October 2007 as Americans became more upbeat about the prospects for employment.

The Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan final index of sentiment climbed to 79.3, the ninth straight increase, from 76.4 the prior month. The gauge was projected to hold at the preliminary reading of 77.8, according to the median forecast of economists surveyed by Bloomberg News. ...

The Associated Press: Consumer confidence in the economy plunged in May

Consumer confidence in the economy plunged in May

(AP) – 5 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Here we go again.

Americans confidence in the economy suffered the biggest drop in eight months as worries about the weak jobs, housing and stock markets rattled them again. The decline comes after a few months of optimism amid some positive economic news.

The Conference Board, a private research group, said on Tuesday that its Consumer Confidence Index now stands at 64.9, down from a revised 68.7 in April. With gas prices falling, Americans were expected to push the measure to 70, according to analysts polled by FactSet.

But the May figure, which represents the biggest drop since October 2011 when the measure fell about 6 points, shows that consumers need more encouraging economic signs before their concerns start to dissipate. Americans remain worried about slow hiring, declining home values, big drops in the stock market and a worsening European economy that they fear will negatively impact the U.S.

"Consumers were less positive about current business and labor market conditions, and they were more pessimistic about the short-term outlook," said Lynn Franco, director of economic indicators at The Conference Board.

Consumer confidence is widely watched because consumer spending accounts for 70 percent of economic activity. May's figure is significantly below the 90 reading that indicates a healthy economy. The measure hasn't been near that level since December 2007. But the latest reading is still well above the 40 figure reached last October and the all-time low of 25.3 in February 2009.

The consumer confidence measure has zigzagged so far this year, dropping in January, rising in February and holding nearly steady after that. Analysts were hoping a slight rise in May would give some credence to the idea that the economy is stabilizing.

Instead, the data, which was based on a survey conducted from May 1 through May 16 with about 500 randomly selected people nationwide, suggests that "the pace of economic growth in the months ahead may moderate," said Franco, with The Conference Board...

Just think how much better this nuber would be without republicans screaming at every good bit of news that "Its all smoke and mirrors".

You must feel like you have done a great job for your party

your joy is palpable

As was your attempt at spin. I'm not happy with the economy, nor are most. Indeed, I will be unsurprised if 2013 is worse than 2012, regardless of who wins in November.

Hers a clue.

Yes the economy wavers.

Your joy seems to waver in the direction that shows harm for the American people.

Be proud be very proud

Now we know you will have a great summer if the number decrease some more.

It would ruin your sumer if things turned back arround huh?

Hers a clue.

Yes the economy wavers.

Your joy seems to waver in the direction that shows harm for the American people.

Be proud be very proud

Here's a fact - the economy isn't 'wavering', it's tanking. And it is unlikely to see any significant improvement for quite some time.... and that has jack shit to do with either the Democrats or the Republicans. It has a lot to do with the global economic situation. All our major markets are in recession... and that has jack shit to do with their political systems either. I appreciate that these simple facts are far above your intellectual pay grade.

Hers a clue.

Yes the economy wavers.

Be proud be very proud

Here's a fact - the economy isn't 'wavering', it's tanking. And it is unlikely to see any significant improvement for quite some time.... and that has jack shit to do with either the Democrats or the Republicans. It has a lot to do with the global economic situation. All our major markets are in recession... and that has jack shit to do with their political systems either. I appreciate that these simple facts are far above your intellectual pay grade.

Dearheart you precious Bush created this problem so his buddies could make money

Hers a clue.

Yes the economy wavers.

Be proud be very proud

Dearheart you precious Bush created this problem so his buddies could make money

Dearheart, your precious Obama is continuing this problem so HIS buddies can make money. :thup:

They gamed the system by not fully implimenting the GLB act and put into action imediately the parts the Banks LOVED but held up for 8 long years the very protections which would have kept us from this mess.

They did it on purpose

SEC Votes for Final Rules Defining How Banks Can Be Securities Brokers
Eight Years After Passage of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Key Provisions Will Now Be Implemented
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2007-190
Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2007 - Ending eight years of stalled negotiations and impasse, the Commission today voted to adopt, jointly with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Board), new rules that will finally implement the bank broker provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999. The Board will consider these final rules at its Sept. 24, 2007 meeting. The Commission and the Board consulted with and sought the concurrence of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and Office of Thrift Supervision.

Hers a clue.

Yes the economy wavers.

Be proud be very proud

If Bush is so precious to me, how come I didn't vote for him? "Scum like you" are the party over country brigade... I prefer country over self or party.

He did not create the problem - both the GOP and the Dems helped to create the problem in the US.... and corporate greed from banks helped too... and so did idiotic, greedy, self absorbed Americans... who spent more money than they could afford to pay back. In other words, you helped create this clusterfuck. Stop blaming the other guy and man up, you cowardly moron.

now what happens when you dont impliment an entire bill but only impliment the parts you like?

Thaty means you have cheated the system

Yes he did create the situation.

He made sure the parts of the bill that his corporate buddies didnt want didnt get implimented

I wonder whether TruthMocker will ever have the courage to stop looking at the individual pieces and put the puzzle together to grasp the full picture. Somehow, I doubt she has the courage, or the intellect.

Forum List

Back