Shock therapy/Electrocution

Is shock therapy a form of electrocution?

• Total voters
LOL! He did use the wrong word, unfortunately. I just don't get the insistence on trying to validate what was an obvious misuse of a word?

LOL! He did use the wrong word, unfortunately. I just don't get the insistence on trying to validate what was an obvious misuse of a word?

I'm more trying to figure out if Corndog was correct in estimating that 100% of people would assume that shock therapy means electrocution.

So far, according to this poll, less than 100% of people believe this.

Shock therapy? Like for depression? No, that ain't electrocution. It has been modified; these days they use anesthesia, etc. It's a humane and (sometimes) effective treatment, though I dun think they know why it works (when it does).

i think its a form of torture

The patient is anesthetized prior to ECT treatment. They don't feel a thing.

Wouldn't catatonic depression be more of a torture?

she was suicidal.....after 8 shock treatments...she was just sad

sprout that mal all you want...shock treatments are torture....who cares if you are anesthetized during it...it is still messing with your brain

"Messing with your brain" ain't the definition of torture, bones. All psychotropic drugs do that. I'm sorry your friend/relative/whoever wasn't made much better, but some people are helped.

The results may be beneficial, or not.
The voltage may be high or low
Still, juice flows through the body, I think that is the definition of electrocution.

i think its a form of torture

The patient is anesthetized prior to ECT treatment. They don't feel a thing.

Wouldn't catatonic depression be more of a torture?

she was suicidal.....after 8 shock treatments...she was just sad

sprout that mal all you want...shock treatments are torture....who cares if you are anesthetized during it...it is still messing with your brain

Do you consider cardioversion (shocking the heart to reset the rhythm from atrial fibrillation to normal rhythm) to be a form of torture because they are messing with your heart?

And maybe colonoscopy is a form of torture because they are shoving a long camera up your ass.

Merriam-Webster says not:

Main Entry: elec·tro·cute
Pronunciation: \i-ˈlek-trə-ˌkyüt\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): elec·tro·cut·ed; elec·tro·cut·ing
Etymology: electr- + -cute (as in execute)
Date: 1889
1 : to execute (a criminal) by electricity
2 : to kill by electric shock
— elec·tro·cu·tion \-ˌlek-trə-ˈkyü-shən\ noun

I believe when ECT was first done it was at very high voltages and very destructive to memory and other brain fucntions.

I am informed that medical process is now done at much lower voltages and not nearly so globally destructive.

Having once been near struck by lightening, and finding that for weeks thereafter I was much more joyous aboutexistence than I'd come to expect from life, I suspect there's something to this therapy.

In fact, if I ever get as clinically depressed as I once was, I may very well consider ECT as a way out of that 24/7 continuous state of hell where I once found myself.

Shock Therapy was one of the more "humane" treatments used in the 40's and 50's to try to turn someone who is gay, straight..

o shove it up your ass xox.....

you ask my opinion and i gave it..is the brain a fucking muscle you damned idiot....is it?

there is a major difference between shocking a muscle ....you cant shock the brain back to normal now can you?

fucking asshole....*slams the cyber door on the way out*

yelling up at window...did i mention i think you are an asshole?????

and i am not much for drugs that mess with the brain.....why is it so acceptable to drug people in this country...no other country drugs their kids like we do...

Forum List

Back