SHOCK: Missippi is a swing state

Let me guess, you also don't pay attention to evolution, diet regulations, disease research and anything else that's a known fact that you somehow don't agree with?

One poll by itself doesn't matter.

But when you're in a sea of blue...

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - General Election: McCain vs. Obama

Evolution, no. As a Christian I believe in intelligent design. Since neither can be classed as a KNOWN FACT, you make quite a jump in logic there.

Diet regulations and disease research? If you knew anything about me, you'd know how much that matters to me, but I don't want to get that personal.

And I still maintain that polls are large piles of malarky. If a poll happens to be correct, it is sheer and utter coincidence.

Evolution, no. As a Christian I believe in intelligent design. Since neither can be classed as a KNOWN FACT, you make quite a jump in logic there.

Diet regulations and disease research? If you knew anything about me, you'd know how much that matters to me, but I don't want to get that personal.

And I still maintain that polls are large piles of malarky. If a poll happens to be correct, it is sheer and utter coincidence.

What about a majority of the polls?

WH2000 Trend
White House 2004

What about a majority of the polls?

WH2000 Trend
White House 2004

The polls won't start to be reliable in any way until about 3 days before the election. It's then that pollsters become more concerned with reputation than with shaping public opinion. Each of them want to be remembered for getting it right, so they actually make an effort to accurately record public opinion. Until then, I maintain that polls are tools to shape public opinion, regardless of whether they lean left or right.

So, if you wonder if right now I give a darn which way the polls are leaning....no I don't.

The polls won't start to be reliable in any way until about 3 days before the election. It's then that pollsters become more concerned with reputation than with shaping public opinion. Each of them want to be remembered for getting it right, so they actually make an effort to accurately record public opinion. Until then, I maintain that polls are tools to shape public opinion, regardless of whether they lean left or right.

So, if you wonder if right now I give a darn which way the polls are leaning....no I don't.

Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin'lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. Kahless went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." Kahless honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. The wind does not respect a fool. Do not stand before the wind, CornbreadOracle.

Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin'lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. Kahless went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." Kahless honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. The wind does not respect a fool. Do not stand before the wind, CornbreadOracle.

Ah, but you see, I am not. The only poll that matters this year is the one that'll be taken on Nov. 4th. I care very much about it. I do not assume that it will go either way.

But, ah, thanks for the nice little story.

no one knows for sure. Alabama has registered over a million new voters since the last presidential election. Tupelo, Oxford, Greenville...this is not rural Mississippi. Those places would be rural in general, but so would all of that state where i was born and reared. Walnut Grove, Madden, Union, Tuttweiler,...those are RURAL MS towns. This is a state that did not ratify the thirteenth amendment to the constitution until 1988. Stereotype notwithstanding, however, and with MS at the bottom of the educational ladder, they may still be in the corner of the white guy...I would place the onis also on the fact that the conservative values of that state have always leaned Republican since the fall of the dixiecrats. It is a state of 2.7 million people, roughly. How many new voters? No one knows for sure.

I would be willing to David to bet on this and I am not much of a gambler that McCain will have little or no problem here. If he spends any money here to campaign it's not money very well spent. The dynamics here are very different than what they are in New Mexico, Colorado, and the the states that border us. While we do have a democrat for a Gov. and have had several democratic Senators, people here when voting tend to be very consistant voters.

I would be willing to David to bet on this and I am not much of a gambler that McCain will have little or no problem here. If he spends any money here to campaign it's not money very well spent. The dynamics here are very different than what they are in New Mexico, Colorado, and the the states that border us. While we do have a democrat for a Gov. and have had several democratic Senators, people here when voting tend to be very consistant voters.

I'm not doubting that McCain will win, however; I'll bet you McCain wins Missippi by less than 9 points.

I'm not doubting that McCain will win, however; I'll bet you McCain wins Missippi by less than 9 points.

laughs in this election you won't get me into a point spread bet not even here. My point though is that with the number of states that are important for McCain to win Mississippi I would not consider a swing state. I think if you watch where the candidates are traveling too in the last few weeks that will give you some idea what they consider important.

laughs in this election you won't get me into a point spread bet not even here. My point though is that with the number of states that are important for McCain to win Mississippi I would not consider a swing state. I think if you watch where the candidates are traveling too in the last few weeks that will give you some idea what they consider important.

Well, just so you know, Obama has run ads in Georgia.....

Forum List

Back