SHOCK: Conservative Chicago Tribune Endorses Obama

From your link.....

This endorsement makes some history for the Chicago Tribune. This is the first time the newspaper has endorsed the Democratic Party's nominee for president.

The Tribune in its earliest days took up the abolition of slavery and linked itself to a powerful force for that cause--the Republican Party. The Tribune's first great leader, Joseph Medill, was a founder of the GOP. The editorial page has been a proponent of conservative principles. It believes that government has to serve people honestly and efficiently.

With that in mind, in 1872 we endorsed Horace Greeley, who ran as an independent against the corrupt administration of Republican President Ulysses S. Grant. (Greeley was later endorsed by the Democrats.) In 1912 we endorsed Theodore Roosevelt, who ran as the Progressive Party candidate against Republican President William Howard Taft.

The Tribune's decisions then were driven by outrage at inept and corrupt business and political leaders.

We see parallels today.

The Republican Party, the party of limited government, has lost its way. The government ran a $237 billion surplus in 2000, the year before Bush took office -- and recorded a $455 billion deficit in 2008. The Republicans lost control of the U.S. House and Senate in 2006 because, as we said at the time, they gave the nation rampant spending and Capitol Hill corruption. They abandoned their principles. They paid the price.

so they support obama b/c why again?

b/c there is no reason, none in the article.

Last edited:
they are not conservative

Chicago Tribune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under their leadership the Tribune distanced itself from the Know Nothings and became the main Chicago organ of the Republican Party.

Before and during the American Civil War, the new editors pushed an abolitionist agenda and strongly supported Abraham Lincoln, whom Medill helped secure the Presidency in 1860. The paper remained a force in Republican politics for years afterwards.

Under the 20th century editorship of Colonel Robert R. McCormick the paper was strongly isolationist and actively biased in its coverage of political news and social trends, calling itself "The American Paper for Americans," excoriating the Democrats and the New Deal, resolutely disdainful of the British and French, and greatly enthusiastic for Chiang Kai-shek and Sen. Joseph McCarthy.

In 2004, the Tribune endorsed President Bush for re-election, a decision consistent with its unwavering support for the Republican Party (it has not endorsed the Democratic Nominee for President since 1872, when it backed Horace Greeley, a former Republican Party newspaper editor[16]). It has endorsed Democrats for lesser offices, including recent endorsements of Bill Foster, Barack Obama for the Senate and Democrat Melissa Bean, who defeated Philip Crane, the House of Representatives' longest-serving Republican. The Tribune also reported on the scandals surrounding Illinois governor George Ryan (a Republican) during Ryan's previous term as Secretary of State. The Tribune endorsed Ryan for Governor despite this reporting.

You are the weakest link Jennifer, goodbye.

Actually it does, unless every single paper you call Liberal isn't Liberal anymore. :eusa_whistle:

Can't just have it one way Jennifer.
i don't think i have used that term on here before. i say bias. i have heard alot about their editorals and how crazy they are, or i'am going nuts?

:yawn:

ummm...Senator Obama is from Chicago.

It would be suicidal for the local paper not to support the "local boy makes good" candidate.

:yawn:

ummm...Senator Obama is from Chicago.

It would be suicidal for the local paper not to support the "local boy makes good" candidate.

Suicidal for a Republican paper to endorse a Republican?

Well.....if you say so.

You do realize these folks sell newspapers to people in Chicago.

Barack Obama lives in the greater Chicago area.

Barack Obama was a State Senator for the greater Chicago area.

Senator Obama is one of two senators from Illinois, of which Chicago is a part.

This ain't rocket science here boys.

Last edited:
Really? That the best excuse for this?

I'm sure that's part of it. But it is the first time they ever endorsed a democrat for president.

In 2004, the Tribune endorsed President Bush for re-election, a decision consistent with its traditionally unwavering support for the Republican Party. However, in 2008, the newspaper endorsed Barack Obama, marking the first time the newspaper has endorsed a Democrat for President in its history. It has endorsed Democrats for lesser offices, including recent endorsements of Bill Foster, Barack Obama for the Senate and Democrat Melissa Bean, who defeated Philip Crane, the House of Representatives' longest-serving Republican. The Tribune also reported on the scandals surrounding Illinois governor George Ryan (a Republican) during Ryan's previous term as Secretary of State. The Tribune endorsed Ryan for Governor despite this reporting.

The Tribune has remained economically conservative, being widely skeptical of increasing the minimum wage and entitlement spending. Although the Tribune has criticized the Bush administration's record on civil liberties, the environment, and many portions of its foreign policy, it still supports his presidency while taking Democrats, such as Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich, to task and calling for their removal from office.

Chicago Tribune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They ARE conservative. They just aren't wingnuts.

so fucking what?

that doesn't make them conservatives. damn labels
If you have not endorced a democrat for hundred and forty years I think that make you a conservative newspaper. My Grandma has not voted Republican since the 70's
does that make her a democrat or Republican? By your words she could still be a Republican.
And there reasons for supporting Obama I think they go over that when they talk about how the Republicans were corrupt!

For the first time in 136 years, the Chicago Tribune is endorsing a Democrat for President of the United States instead of a Republican.

Chicago Tribune endorses Obama -- chicagotribune.com

I know many don't care about newspaper endorsements, but for a paper which has always been a staunch Republican supporter, this is a big deal.

Its almost as if George Bush and the 50 million people who voted for him twice, and defended him for 8 years on message boards, actually wanted to destroy the Republican party.

Forum List

Back