Shipwreck in Western Kentucky

The legend lives on from from Western Kentucky on down
Of the big bridge they call Eggner's Ferry
The river, it is said, never gives up for dead
When the skies of January turn gloomy...
I resemble that parody...

Yep right here in Western Kentucky. We had a shipwreck. Took out two spans of a bridge known as the Eggner's Ferry Bridge. An important bridge in this area. This puppy was already past Daveman and headed in my direction!

Here's the slideshow:
ttp://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Photo-Gallery-Eggners-Ferry-Bridge-collapse--138200619.html?gallery=y&img=1&c=y

The captain is in for a pasting now that the ship has hit the span!

Yep right here in Western Kentucky. We had a shipwreck. Took out two spans of a bridge known as the Eggner's Ferry Bridge. An important bridge in this area. This puppy was already past Daveman and headed in my direction!

Here's the slideshow:
ttp://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Photo-Gallery-Eggners-Ferry-Bridge-collapse--138200619.html?gallery=y&img=1&c=y

Yep. And likely the comany he works for too. I don't know how much they can get out of just due to the fact that the bridge was already slated to be replaced, though. I'm sure they will give it a try.

Here's the slideshow:

Yep. And likely the comany he works for too. I don't know how much they can get out of just due to the fact that the bridge was already slated to be replaced, though. I'm sure they will give it a try.

Yes. As I said, the ship has really hit the span now.

If there is big boat traffic on that river why did they put in a permanent structure? We are subject to tides where I live and most bridges are Draw Bridges or tower so high above the water it isn't a problem. One of our biggest bridge problems here is on land. A couple times a year some truck driver tries to drive his 18 wheeler under a train tressel or bridge that doesn't have the clearence and rips his rig open like a can of sardines. There are signs posted but for some reason the truck drivers either don't read them or don't believe them.

If there is big boat traffic on that river why did they put in a permanent structure? We are subject to tides where I live and most bridges are Draw Bridges or tower so high above the water it isn't a problem. One of our biggest bridge problems here is on land. A couple times a year some truck driver tries to drive his 18 wheeler under a train tressel or bridge that doesn't have the clearence and rips his rig open like a can of sardines. There are signs posted but for some reason the truck drivers either don't read them or don't believe them.

Back when they built Barkley Dam in the 60s, they 'raised' both of the bridges to allow taller boats to pass underneath.

Just because a river is a commercial river doesn't mean that there can't be any bridges. At the time these were built there wasn't anything much on the rivers but tugboats and barges. An effort has been made to accommodate the larger vessels, but the people who use them need to use a little common sense.

Grooooaaaaannnnnnnn................. Bad pun. Bad bad pun........
:D

Grooooaaaaannnnnnnn................. Bad pun. Bad bad pun........
:D

Do you always use anagramatical code for your invites to the pub? ...Ban nap...add pub bud.

Forum List

Back