Sheryl Swoopes Is A Lesbian - But Wasn't Born That Way

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Good New / Bad News For The Pro-Lesbian Groups

------

NEW YORK — Houston Comets forward Sheryl Swoopes is opening up about being a lesbian, telling a magazine that she's "tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about."

Swoopes, honored last month as the WNBA's Most Valuable Player, told ESPN The Magazine for a story on newsstands Wednesday that she didn't always know she was gay and fears that coming out could jeopardize her status as a role model.

"Do I think I was born this way? No," Swoopes said. "And that's probably confusing to some, because I know a lot of people believe that you are."

Swoopes, who was married and has an 8-year-old son, said her 1999 divorce "wasn't because I'm gay."

She said her reason for coming out now is merely because she wants to be honest.

"It's not something that I want to throw in people's faces. I'm just at a point in my life where I'm tired of having to pretend to be somebody I'm not," the 34-year-old Swoopes said. "I'm tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about. About the person I love."

A release from ESPN The Magazine about the story did not disclose the identity of Swoopes' partner.

A five-time All-Star and three-time Olympic gold medalist, Swoopes is the WNBA's only three-time MVP. She played for the Comets during their run of four championships from 1997-2000, but missed the 2001 season with a knee injury.

She said her biggest worry about her revelation is that people will be afraid to look up to her.

"I don't want that to happen," she said. "Being gay has nothing to do with the three gold medals or the three MVPs or the four championships I've won. I'm still the same person. I'm Sheryl."

Swoopes led the WNBA in scoring last year, averaging 18.6 points. She also averaged 4.3 assists and 2.65 steals while making 85 percent of her free throws and playing a league-high 37.1 minutes a game.

She said it "irritates" her that no one talks about gays playing in men's sports, but that it's become an issue in the WNBA.

"Sexuality and gender don't change anyone's performance on the court," she said. "Women play just as hard as guys do. We're just as competitive."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,173498,00.html

GotZoom said:
"I don't want that to happen," she said. "Being gay has nothing to do with the three gold medals or the three MVPs or the four championships I've won. I'm still the same person. I'm Sheryl."

Did I mention I'm sweet? Because if I didn't, I'd just like to congratulate myself a little more...

The ClayTaurus said:
Did I mention I'm sweet? Because if I didn't, I'd just like to congratulate myself a little more...
Little extra self-promotion for any new endorsement deals perhaps?

Nahhhh...you don't think she would use her "coming-out" as a marketing tool?

GotZoom said:

Never... the WNBA is a marketing juggernaut...

GotZoom said:

That didn't do Ellen Degeneres much good, did it?

no1tovote4 said:
That didn't do Ellen Degeneres much good, did it?
Are you kidding? She's got her own TV show... and tons of endorsements. Did I miss the sarcasm button?

The ClayTaurus said:
Are you kidding? She's got her own TV show... and tons of endorsements. Did I miss the sarcasm button?

Before she came out she was far more successful. She had a hit show on TV that rose very temporarily when she came out then was cancelled because of low ratings. Her current TV show has low ratings and is certainly not on Prime Time. Her endorsements do not pay nearly as much as they used to for her time. She lost alot of money when she outted herself.

no1tovote4 said:
Before she came out she was far more successful. She had a hit show on TV that rose very temporarily when she came out then was cancelled because of low ratings. Her current TV show has low ratings and is certainly not on Prime Time. Her endorsements do not pay nearly as much as they used to for her time. She lost alot of money when she outted herself.

I, and apparently others, disagree.

DeGeneres lent her voice to the role of "Dory," a fish with short-term memory loss, in the summer 2003 hit animated Pixar film Finding Nemo. The movie returned DeGeneres to the limelight, with critics giving her rave reviews. Many speculate that DeGeneres would have been nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar if not for the Academy voters' seemingly suspicious attitudes towards non-live action performance work.

In September of 2003, DeGeneres launched a daytime television talk show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Amid a crop of several talk shows surfacing in 2003 and hosted by high-profile celebrities (including Sharon Osbourne and Rita Rudner), DeGeneres' show has consistently risen in the Nielsen Ratings and received widespread critical praise. DeGeneres' show was nominated for eleven Daytime Emmy Awards its freshman season, winning four, including Best Talk Show.

Since November 2004, DeGeneres has appeared, dancing, in a new ad campaign for American Express. Since May 2005, she's been a contributing blogger at The Huffington Post.

Ellen also stars in an attraction at Walt Disney World's Epcot in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. She plays opposite Bill Nye (the science guy) and Jamie Lee Curtis in the Universe of Energy pavilion. In 1996, the ride was renamed as "Ellen's Energy Adventure."

In August 2005, Ellen was selected once again as host of the 2005 Emmy ceremony, which was held on September 18, 2005.
(The awards show came three weeks after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast, making it the second time Ellen hosted the Emmys following a national tragedy. Because Ellen is from New Orleans, the tragedy literally hit close to home.) When she announced that she'd be again hosting the Emmys, she joked, "You know me, any excuse to put on a dress." She also hosted the Grammy Awards in 1996 and in 1997.

---

Not too bad if you ask me.

"Not too bad if you ask me."

I didn't say she disappeared from the limelight entirely, just that she makes less for her current work than she did before. A Prime Time show makes more money than any daytime show, even one that wins a daytime Emmy. There is a reason they have the "daytime Emmys" and it is because those shows are simply never given a regular Emmy there is a quality gap that is apparent if you are ever stuck at home and have to watch daytime TV. Those in daytime TV make less than those in regular TV where she was solidly placed before outting herself.

She will be able to contine to make a good living, but isn't as rich as she would be had she continued to hide her sexuality.

Geeezzzzzz, doesn’t everyone know many, maybe most, female athletes are gay?
What’s the surprise here? Is it she came out and said “yeah, you guys knew all along I admit it”? Or is it as she said and she wanted to be her real self?:boobies:

no1tovote4 said:
"Not too bad if you ask me."

I didn't say she disappeared from the limelight entirely, just that she makes less for her current work than she did before. A Prime Time show makes more money than any daytime show, even one that wins a daytime Emmy. There is a reason they have the "daytime Emmys" and it is because those shows are simply never given a regular Emmy there is a quality gap that is apparent if you are ever stuck at home and have to watch daytime TV. Those in daytime TV make less than those in regular TV where she was solidly placed before outting herself.

She will be able to contine to make a good living, but isn't as rich as she would be had she continued to hide her sexuality.

She made the Forbes Top 100 Entertainers (# 68) llist for the first time. I'm not so sure she would have been as successful if she didn't come out.

I personally don't really care that much about Ellen either way so....

I don't blame Ms. Swoops one Minute...I too prefer having sex with ladies....or 'lady' as is the case.

Oh - and

"Sexuality and gender don't change anyone's performance on the court," she said. "Women play just as hard as guys do. We're just as competitive."

...just not as 'good'. :)

I think a few AAA HighSchool boys b-ball team would beat whichever team is currently the WNBA Champs. :)

dmp said:
I don't blame Ms. Swoops one Minute...I too prefer having sex with ladies....or 'lady' as is the case.

Oh - and

...just not as 'good'. :)

I think a few AAA HighSchool boys b-ball team would beat whichever team is currently the WNBA Champs. :)

I dunno, pro women basketball players are deceptively good.

The ClayTaurus said:
I dunno, pro women basketball players are deceptively good.

Have you seen them play? they're good against eachother, but I believe Garfield High School - Seattle, could beat the current WNBA Champs.

The article said:
"Do I think I was born this way? No," Swoopes said. "And that's probably confusing to some, because I know a lot of people believe that you are."
To me this adds credence to my theory that sexual preference is a blank slate at birth that is formed by outside influences growing up.

dmp said:
Have you seen them play? they're good against eachother, but I believe Garfield High School - Seattle, could beat the current WNBA Champs.
I have. It's not pretty. Have you played against one of them though? I'm telling you, it's deceptive. Especially because I bet the highschool guys would be so over confident anyways...

The ClayTaurus said:
I have. It's not pretty. Have you played against one of them though? I'm telling you, it's deceptive. Especially because I bet the highschool guys would be so over confident anyways...

Indeed...maturity could be a problem for the HS Boys...wisdom and game experience goes a long way towards a 'dub-ya'. Still...Garfield is VERY VERY good.

:D

GotZoom said:

She has stated her opinion on the matter. And while the evidence isn't all in, there seems to be a combination of both social/environmental and biological factors which determine one's gender preferences. And even if it does turn out to be driven by purely social/environmental factors, it doesn't matter.

There is no demonstrable harm to either the individuals involved, or to society at large, by committed relationships between same-gender couples. Get over it.

Forum List

Back