Shell oil artificially driving up gas prices

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
They would rather destroy a very profitable refinery instead of sell it to

A) drive up fuel prices

B) avoid competition.

US Newswire

The Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights today released internal Shell documents showing the oil refiner is set to close and demolish its Bakersfield refinery despite the fact the site had the biggest refinery margins, or profits per gallon, of any Shell refinery in the nation as of yesterday.

Shell had claimed it was not economically viable to keep the refinery open and has refused to put it up for sale. Bakersfield supplies 2 percent of the state's gasoline and only 13 refineries feed California's tight gasoline supply (down from 37 in 1983).

An April 5th internal Shell document released today by FTCR shows that Bakersfield's refining margin at $23.01 per barrel, or about 55 cents profit per gallon, topped all of Shell's refineries in the nation. That means, for example, that margins are 36 cents per gallon higher in Bakersfield than in Port Arthur, Texas. The internal document comments under the category of refinery margins "Wow."

"Only an oil company that wants to short the market and artificially drive up the price of gasoline would demolish a highly profitable refinery rather than sell it," said Jamie Court, president of FTCR and author of the book Corporateering (Tarcher/Putnam). " Shell has deceived the public about Bakersfield and must be forced to keep this refinery open or sell it to a competitor. This evidence should also spur a national moratorium on all further domestic refinery closures."

HGROKIT said:
Gee - maybe our goverment should step in an tell them they can't do that! [/sarcasm]

I don't know anything about this situation, but I can tell you this. It does not make sense and therefore, I believe there must be much more to the story.

What good would it do for shell oil to drive up prices? Gross revenues are NOT important, but profit is. Why would they drive up prices only to make lower margins? Makes no sense at all. Futhermore, limiting the availability of gasoline will do nothing but speed up the development of alternative power sources that would put shell out of business. I bet there is a lot more to this story than the author is telling. He must have an agenda.

freeandfun1 said:
I don't know anything about this situation, but I can tell you this. It does not make sense and therefore, I believe there must be much more to the story.

What good would it do for shell oil to drive up prices? Gross revenues are NOT important, but profit is. Why would they drive up prices only to make lower margins? Makes no sense at all. Futhermore, limiting the availability of gasoline will do nothing but speed up the development of alternative power sources that would put shell out of business. I bet there is a lot more to this story than the author is telling. He must have an agenda.
I agree, hence the sarcasm of the post.

Pale Rider said:
Sure he does. He's a liberal, and this fiasco will all turn out to be President Bush's fault... :rolleyes:

Which 'he'? I'm lost!

somebody show the advantage that shell oil would have in demolishing the most profitable of their refineries. If you can do that and theorize what the 'liberal journalists' agenda is, I'd be interested.

DKSuddeth said:
somebody show the advantage that shell oil would have in demolishing the most profitable of their refineries. If you can do that and theorize what the 'liberal journalists' agenda is, I'd be interested.

we don't know the details. why was it the most profitable? did they have big write offs that allowed them to show a larger profit than normal that year? There are LOTS of reasons why they may have been profitable but no longer are. Have taxes gone up in the area? What about payroll taxes. I know that before the recall, workman's comp in California went up so high that HUNDREDS of companies moved from Cali to Vegas last year. Right now if you go to bizbuysell.com you will find LOTS of machine shops for sale in Cali now. Why? Cuz last year workman's comp went up so much, they can't make a profit. They are using cashflow numbers from 1 and two years ago as the bases of their multiples, but if you do research, you will find that their insurance, taxes and others have gone up so much that those numbers are no longer attainable.

Maybe that is why just one year later it is no longer profitable. I would think that refineries would have high workman's comp insurance rates.

I've been reading a couple of articles on the subject and from what I can piece together, this is the story.

More production is needed in Northern and Southern California. Since the Bakersfield facility produces LESS THAN 2% of the state's total needs, they figured they would rather divert refining to those areas where refined gasoline is in higher demand. Much of the oil refined in Bakersfield now is shipped to those areas anyway. Furthermore, the refinery is in need of costly repairs, etc. It is possible they have been showing a profit as they have been putting off repairs in anticipation of closing the plant.

Shipping the gasoline from Bakersfield to LA and NoCal was actually contributing to higher gas prices (transportation costs).

freeandfun1 said:
I've been reading a couple of articles on the subject and from what I can piece together, this is the story.

More production is needed in Northern and Southern California. Since the Bakersfield facility produces LESS THAN 2% of the state's total needs, they figured they would rather divert refining to those areas where refined gasoline is in higher demand. Much of the oil refined in Bakersfield now is shipped to those areas anyway. Furthermore, the refinery is in need of costly repairs, etc. It is possible they have been showing a profit as they have been putting off repairs in anticipation of closing the plant.

Shipping the gasoline from Bakersfield to LA and NoCal was actually contributing to higher gas prices (transportation costs).

So all in all, sounds like a

Now THAT makes sense. thanks free.

Forum List

Back