Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Same results, but I would guess without the attitude. Links at site:

http://ontapblog.com/2006/02/01/its-not-a-political-rally/

It’s not a Political Rally
By: Cam Edwards on February 1, 2006 - 10:00 am
Uncategorized

Last night, in addition to Cindy Sheehan being arrested for her anti-war t-shirt, the wife of a Florida representative was apparently asked to leave for wearing a support the troops shirt.

Who the heck wears a t-shirt to the State of the Union address anyway? Isn’t there some sort of dress code? And I’m not sure the State of the Union address is the time for the audience to be making any sort of political statement. It’s a time for the President to talk to us about the year ahead. It’s disrespectful to the office to take attention away from that and put it on yourself.

I have no doubt that the Congressman’s wife had the best of intentions. But the State of the Union address was neither the time nor the place to do what she did. Throw the t-shirt in your purse, and put it on after the speech is over and you’re outside mingling with the protestors.

Marshall adds: I come from a background where it would have been unthinkable not to wear a tie to court. (Someone had to talk me out of wearing a tie to jury duty recently.) Wearing a T-shirt into the chamber of the United States House of Representatives? Are you kidding? Not acceptable. Ever. And especially for the State of the Union.

A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to attend a Presidential inauguration. It was outdoors on a frigid January morning. We were sitting (thank heaven) in a section approximately eight miles from the stage. I wore a suit and a tie and an overcoat.

Dressing up for occassions like the SOU or an inaugural or even for court isn’t about looking nice for the other guests. It’s about showing respect for the institution that you’re visiting, witnessing, or being a part of.

I can’t say that I’m surprised that Cindy Sheehan wouldn’t understand this. I am a little surprised that Rep. Young’s wife didn’t.

Jim adds: Gad, what a way to confirm European’s nasty stereotypes of Americans as uncouth slobs. Attention, SOTU attendees: You’re not a tourist, and this isn’t a ballgame. Of course, I guess you could say that the response to the State of the Union is, year by year, more and more resembling that of a sports event. “The president said something I agree with? Yeah! He said something I don’t like? Booo!”

Marshall again: According to NBC News Producer Mike Viqueira, Congressman Young took to the floor this morning and “went nuts.” I’ll see if I can find a transcript. But come on, Congressman. A T-shirt — in the House Chamber?

Kathianne said:
Same results, but I would guess without the attitude. Links at site:

http://ontapblog.com/2006/02/01/its-not-a-political-rally/

The results weren't the same. One person was arrested, one was not.

According to the Yahoo article the Congresswoman's wife argued with the police and called one an "idiot" to his face. No arrest.

Whereas sheehan was simply dragged out the building, not even give a chance to argue.

Clearly you getting treated differently depending on whether or not you agree with the President.

SpidermanTuba said:
The results weren't the same. One person was arrested, one was not.

According to the Yahoo article the Congresswoman's wife argued with the police and called one an "idiot" to his face. No arrest.

Whereas sheehan was simply dragged out the building, not even give a chance to argue.

Clearly you getting treated differently depending on whether or not you agree with the President.

One is also a known attention whore who likes to get arrested and make trouble for the publicity, and one is just a woman with a nice shirt.

theim said:
One is also a known attention whore who likes to get arrested and make trouble for the publicity, and one is just a woman with a nice shirt.

They both broke the same law. Only one was actually charged with it. What you are advocating is unequal treatment under the law, which is no surprise coming from a rightie.

SpidermanTuba said:
They both broke the same law. Only one was actually charged with it. What you are advocating is unequal treatment under the law, which is no surprise coming from a rightie.

Wow, ignorance must be bliss. They were both REMOVED from the building. Sheehan was ARRESTED for Unlawful Conduct which resulted from her refusal to be REMOVED. :tinfoil:

Forum List

Back