she is alive but lost the mast...good news!

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Abby Sunderland, 16, is alive and apparently well, floundering in rough seas in the Indian Ocean without a mast, but safely aboard her 40-foot boat and awaiting the arrival of rescue ships.

An Australian plane with 11 trained observers found Sunderland, who on Thursday had activated two emergency distress beacons signaling an international rescue attempt, not long after daybreak Friday. Its crewmade contact with her on a marine radio channel.

The mariner from Thousand Oaks, Calif., who had been attempting to become the youngest person to have sailed around the world alone, had lost has mast and rigging after her vessel apparently rolled in heaving seas. Her position is extremely remote, more than 2,000 miles from Australia and Africa.

A rescue has not been made, however. The nearest ship bound for her position is about 30 hours away, but fierce winds and seas that had been upwards of 40 feet are abating. Australian, American and French search-and-rescue authorities are cooperating in the rescue attempt.

Abby Sunderland is alive and apparently safe aboard her damaged sailboat

brave kid....i hope all goes well with the rescue.

Would all you non antipodean morons stop sailing into our waters?

We have enough to do with all the penguins dancing around with their happy feet under an ozone hole and no sunscreen.

Abby Sunderland, 16, is alive and apparently well, floundering in rough seas in the Indian Ocean without a mast, but safely aboard her 40-foot boat and awaiting the arrival of rescue ships.

An Australian plane with 11 trained observers found Sunderland, who on Thursday had activated two emergency distress beacons signaling an international rescue attempt, not long after daybreak Friday. Its crewmade contact with her on a marine radio channel.

The mariner from Thousand Oaks, Calif., who had been attempting to become the youngest person to have sailed around the world alone, had lost has mast and rigging after her vessel apparently rolled in heaving seas. Her position is extremely remote, more than 2,000 miles from Australia and Africa.

A rescue has not been made, however. The nearest ship bound for her position is about 30 hours away, but fierce winds and seas that had been upwards of 40 feet are abating. Australian, American and French search-and-rescue authorities are cooperating in the rescue attempt.

Abby Sunderland is alive and apparently safe aboard her damaged sailboat

brave kid....i hope all goes well with the rescue.

me too

I can't even begin to imagine the terror of rolling your boat. But to do it alone? I might be in the fetal position in the cabin when they found me.

Good luck to her!

WTF? Why's any 16 year old trying to sail the world alone? This chicklet's parents should get the bill for every dollar Australia has to spend to rescue their darling...and then someone needs to teach them about responsible parenting.

Yes, I'm glad she's okay. But she'd have been okay home, too, or on a boat with several experienced seamen. This is stupid, narcissitic horseshit indulgence at everyone else's expense. You want your kidlet to stand out?

Sign them up for track.

You could say that about every explorer that went out to break down some barrier. A 16 year old woman circumnavigating is not unprecedented. But, I hardly think the mass influx of people attempting will break any country if they are called on to help out.

In other words, the benefits outweigh the costs, in my estimation.

Oh Puh-leeeze. Leave the annoying blue serif font negativity for another thread.

This is wonderful news. Abby is a competent girl attempting a big challenge. (It was particularly disgusting to see the comments in the news that her parents had engaged in child abuse by allowing her to go.) I'm very happy for her and her parents - and hope all goes well.

Forum List

Back