She Had A Name...Remembering Mary Jo Kopechne.

CaféAuLait;1468420 said:
5 minutes plus 25 minutes equals 1/2 hour, not an hour, but who's counting?

It says in the article where he lists 5 reasons why he thought she was alive for several terrifying minutes.

I can see that it would be an outside, a very outside chance, that there was enough oxygen in a car that was upside down in the water with a broken window for 30 minutes...well, no, I can't really...and why would he say one thing on the radio and then testify something different in court? Probably because he was under oath.

I'm also curious to know why you believe Kennedy's claim that she was struggling yet you seem to disbelieve his claim that he tried several times to dive down and rescue her.

I'd like to read the actual trial transcript but it doesn't seem to exist on the internet.

IMO, she died while he tried to rescue her and then he consulted his lawyers to save his ass...not a nice thing to do, not something I would do, but not murder and him calling the police wouldn't have saved her. It's also possible he was drunk and wanted to avoid a test that would have made him guilty of manslaughter...but I'm just speculating.

I think the whole incident made him look bad but I'm also satisfied that he atoned for it in the end.

R.I.P Teddy...and you, too Mary Jo.

I did not type out all of his testimony—only a little bit of it. Either way he said hours in the article I supplied and ‘hour and awhile’ in the one you supplied.
Again there was an accident when he hit the bridge,

and it was an accident aftrer the car hit the water and it remains an accident by today's standards as well.

If i remember correctly he was charged and convicted of leaving the scene of an accident.

On July 25, seven days after the incident, Kennedy entered a plea of guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury. Kennedy's attorneys suggested that any jail sentence should be suspended, and the prosecutors agreed to this, citing Kennedy's age, character and prior reputation. Judge James Boyle sentenced Kennedy to two months' incarceration, the statutory minimum for the offense, which he suspended. In announcing the sentence, Boyle referred to Kennedy's "unblemished record" and said that he "has already been, and will continue to be punished far beyond anything this court can impose".

More assumption on your part. Imagine that.

LOL nice bs but that is hardly the case. The FACT is that the car went off the road into the water and overturned. He got out but she didn't. She died and partisan hacks like you present all of your may have, might have and could have been based ASSUMPTIONS to accuse kennedy of a crime that you cannot PROVE with anything factual.

Imagine that, you finally admit to presenting your OPINION which is about all you have presented thus far anyway. LOL

Apparently it's also easy for YOU to speculate that she lived for several hours under water with no air, that being trapped under snow and under ice is exactly like being trapped in car under water all to try and blow the whole thing out of proportion so you can make it what you want it to be and can call a man a murderer.

I do not know what happened but I prefer to go by those who knew that evening and not those who make Kennedy out to be a saint.

FACT is that you believe what you want to believe despite the FACT that you don't have the FACTS to support your beliefs. Your argument is based on assumptions and opinions. LOL

If there was even the slightest chance or the tiniest chance, I, and I am sure you would have wanted him call for help if your or my child were in that car. It may have saved a lot of grief.

there you go with your assumptions again. LOL

I presented facts from experts. Pssstttt Message boards are for ones opinions as well or did you not.

I made no assumptions I said she may have been saved. You make the assumption she was dead as soon as the car crashed. LMAO!

Laura killed a man in a car accident. She didn't leave him to drown or asphyxiate and pass 1/2 dozen houses where she could have sought help. Apples and oranges....

LOL. so two car accidents and two people die and you wish to hold one accountable and make lame excuses for the other. LOL (sarcasm) no, you are definitely not a righty. LOL

BTW why is one life less valuable than the other?? Based on your previously stated belief that ted murdered mary jo then that standard should apply evenly and fairly to any life lost in a tragic accident. So why does one life not matter to you? Would you be cryng murder if laura's accident had killed your son?

Although it is nice to know that even as you claim not to be a righty that you base your argument on the righty assumption that if he had stopped at the first house that she would have been rescued when there is NO PROOF to substantiate that BELIEF.

Again, you are comparing apples to oranges.....Kennedy left Mary Jo there to die, she wasn't dead when he left the scene.

PROVE IT. FACT is that you don't know for certain and yet you are dishoenstly trying to present your OPINION as fact.

He didn't go to the nearest house to get help, he didn't notify anyone, he swam back to the mainland instead.

We have aolready been over this and he was charged with leaving the scene. Are you really this ignorant??

How interesting that you ignore the fact that the Kennedy family paid off Mary Jo's family to insure there would be no autopsy. Had there been, we would KNOW how she died.

I have seen nothing factual to support this claim and yes we would have known how she died and yet despite the FACT that you don't know you still pretend that you do.

As far as I know, Laura Bush ran a stop sign and killed a guy, that's manslaughter and she should have been charged, but she didn't run away and leave him there to die.

Did she cause an accident that resulted in someone's death?? Seems to me that this is the only similarity that need to be talked about. Who cares if she left the scene or not, she was srtill at the wheel of a car and some one died becuase she ran a stop sign.

I'm a moderate,

BS, I call BS. LOL

I look at both sides of the issue and make my own decision. I'm used to the fanatic left calling me a neo conservative and the fanatic right calling me a liberal. Read through these threads, you'll see where I've been called both.

I have yet seen you right ANYTHING remotely moderate as you take the right's talking points on this issue and run with them.

CaféAuLait;1489361 said:
CaféAuLait;1464985 said:
You do realize the water was moving "a strong current" for Kopechne too? That was the testimony of Kennedy and his Lawyer friends....

and was the car submerged?? A layer of oxygen beneath a sheet of ice on top of the water can constantly gert replenished by the flowing water. If the car was fully submerged or the point where the alleged air bubble was trapped was under the water level then the oxygen could not be replenished. Got any more spin?

Not to mention once again the diver on scene said he felt she was alive for at least 2 hours.... we were not there so I will go by the experts from back then and those witnesses.

Do you often base your OPINIONS of factual events on the feelings or beliefs of person with no firsthand knowledge of the actual event?? His BELIEF that she was alive for at least two hours is only a belief with NOTHING to substantiate it. So why do you call him an expert?? How many bodies had he recovered at that time that would amke you believe he was an expert??

Uh the LINKS I provided says he was a naval trained diving expert! Might help if you had bother to read them. This expert testified she "probably was alive for a least 2 hours"

Feel free to scroll back for the links--- I posted them in several posts.

I read through your articles and he is still just offering HIS OPINION. He wasn't there and there is no way that he knows for certain and neither do you.
Oh well it looks like you are just another in a long line of hacks who don't know the difference between an OPINION and the FACTS.

CaféAuLait;1489380 said:
CaféAuLait;1468420 said:
I did not type out all of his testimony—only a little bit of it. Either way he said hours in the article I supplied and ‘hour and awhile’ in the one you supplied.
Again there was an accident when he hit the bridge,

and it was an accident aftrer the car hit the water and it remains an accident by today's standards as well.

If i remember correctly he was charged and convicted of leaving the scene of an accident.

On July 25, seven days after the incident, Kennedy entered a plea of guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury. Kennedy's attorneys suggested that any jail sentence should be suspended, and the prosecutors agreed to this, citing Kennedy's age, character and prior reputation. Judge James Boyle sentenced Kennedy to two months' incarceration, the statutory minimum for the offense, which he suspended. In announcing the sentence, Boyle referred to Kennedy's "unblemished record" and said that he "has already been, and will continue to be punished far beyond anything this court can impose".

More assumption on your part. Imagine that.

LOL nice bs but that is hardly the case. The FACT is that the car went off the road into the water and overturned. He got out but she didn't. She died and partisan hacks like you present all of your may have, might have and could have been based ASSUMPTIONS to accuse kennedy of a crime that you cannot PROVE with anything factual.

Imagine that, you finally admit to presenting your OPINION which is about all you have presented thus far anyway. LOL

Apparently it's also easy for YOU to speculate that she lived for several hours under water with no air, that being trapped under snow and under ice is exactly like being trapped in car under water all to try and blow the whole thing out of proportion so you can make it what you want it to be and can call a man a murderer.

FACT is that you believe what you want to believe despite the FACT that you don't have the FACTS to support your beliefs. Your argument is based on assumptions and opinions. LOL

If there was even the slightest chance or the tiniest chance, I, and I am sure you would have wanted him call for help if your or my child were in that car. It may have saved a lot of grief.

there you go with your assumptions again. LOL

I presented facts from experts. Pssstttt Message boards are for ones opinions as well or did you not.

I made no assumptions I said she may have been saved. You make the assumption she was dead as soon as the car crashed. LMAO!

You presented OPINIONS from people that you believe to be experts along with your own opinions and assume that they are undeniable fact and that is NOT the case. Oh and I just love how you dishonestly edited out all of your assumptions that I called you out for like this one.

If he had called se could very well be alive

and this one

he passed many houses before returning to the party. She may have been saved if he called.

and this one

When he made the decision NOT to call -- this was a willful act in his part --- no longer an accident-- which leads to the death of Mary Jo.

Your posts are full of assumptions and the above are merely a few.

BTW when and where did I make the assumption that she was dead as soon as the car hit the water?? Can you back that up or are you merely lying through your teeth as you dishonestly try to put words in my mouth?

Forum List

Back