Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I mean who would have thought?

washingtonpost.com

Obama advisers set to recommend military tribunals for alleged 9/11 plotters
By Anne E. Kornblut and Peter Finn
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 5, 2010; A01

President Obama's advisers are nearing a recommendation that Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the self-proclaimed mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, be prosecuted in a military tribunal, administration officials said, a step that would reverse Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.'s plan to try him in civilian court in New York City.

The president's advisers feel increasingly hemmed in by bipartisan opposition to a federal trial in New York and demands, mainly from Republicans, that Mohammed and his accused co-conspirators remain under military jurisdiction, officials said. While Obama has favored trying some terrorism suspects in civilian courts as a symbol of U.S. commitment to the rule of law, critics have said military tribunals are the appropriate venue for those accused of attacking the United States.

If Obama accepts the likely recommendation of his advisers, the White House may be able to secure from Congress the funding and legal authority it needs to close the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and replace it with a facility within the United States. The administration has failed to meet a self-imposed one-year deadline to close Guantanamo....

Agreed - military tribunals are the right forum. And Guantanamo is set up for this forum. Leave all of them at Gitmo and out of the US.

NIce to know HOlder has a couple of brain cells that actually work. After a little bad PR of course.

If these terrorist had of been prisoners in any other place in the world, they would have already been tried, convicted and either shot or hung. We must appear to be pretty silly to the other countries of the world - especially to the folks of the Middle East.

my old Beirut buddy Tom Friedman just weighed in on this very subject on "Morning Joe".... and I tend to agree with him. I would have preferred to have the trials out under the bright lights so the world could see we weren't afraid of anything, but clearly, Americans as a whole, and republicans in particular, are sooooo scared of arab extremists, and made that fear so clearly manifest, that their terrified, knee rattling uproar was a distraction. At this point, I say, try him and then fry him. Time to move on, and deal with however such cowardly responses embolden our enemies later.

I mean who would have thought?

washingtonpost.com

Obama advisers set to recommend military tribunals for alleged 9/11 plotters
By Anne E. Kornblut and Peter Finn
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 5, 2010; A01

President Obama's advisers are nearing a recommendation that Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the self-proclaimed mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, be prosecuted in a military tribunal, administration officials said, a step that would reverse Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.'s plan to try him in civilian court in New York City.

The president's advisers feel increasingly hemmed in by bipartisan opposition to a federal trial in New York and demands, mainly from Republicans, that Mohammed and his accused co-conspirators remain under military jurisdiction, officials said. While Obama has favored trying some terrorism suspects in civilian courts as a symbol of U.S. commitment to the rule of law, critics have said military tribunals are the appropriate venue for those accused of attacking the United States.

If Obama accepts the likely recommendation of his advisers, the White House may be able to secure from Congress the funding and legal authority it needs to close the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and replace it with a facility within the United States. The administration has failed to meet a self-imposed one-year deadline to close Guantanamo....

So any guess how long it will be before President Bozo decides, after thinking real hard about how much he wants a Big Mac and a cigarette, that the military tribunals should be held in Guantanamo?

Shazam!

gomer-pyle.jpg

Amazing how this President tries to reinvent the wheel. Military tribunals were chosen for much the same reasons this time as last. Indecisiveness emboldens our foes. With this President that will be pretty deadly. We have already seen the first fruits.

Forum List

Back