Sharron Angle's Fringe Third Party Sponsored Virulently Anti-Gay Flier In '90s

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Sharron Angle's Fringe Third Party Sponsored Virulently Anti-Gay Flier In '90s | TPMDC

The far-right third party that Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle called home in the 1990s supported abolishing "the debt money system" and ran a vitriolic anti-gay insert in state newspapers that portrays LGBT people -- or, as Angle's party called them, "sodomites" -- as child-molesting, HIV-carrying, Hell-bound freaks, according to documents obtained by TPM.

As we reported earlier this month, Angle was a member of Nevada's Independent American Party, a Christian conservative-cum-libertarian third party, for at least six years while she was getting her feet wet in politics in the 1990s. Independent American Party members told us that Angle switched to be a Republican in 1997 out of political expediency as she was preparing to make a run for state-level office.

But the details of her time in the Independent American Party have been somewhat shrouded in mystery -- which brings us to the two documents we obtained from that era.

This is a 1992 petition, signed and circulated by Angle, that was part of a successful push to get the Independent American Party on the ballot. It features the Independent American manifesto -- including the acknowledgment "That many Americans have ignored the Laws of God."

The petition says that party members support a proposed Constitutional amendment called the Liberty Amendment, which would "compel the Federal Government to halt its unconstitutional programs and wasteful expenditures such as foreign aid and welfare corruption. It will prohibit the financing of the New World Order with American taxes.

In 1994, the party attracted considerable controversy by placing a 16-page advertising insert in Nevada newspapers promoting an amendment to the state constitution that would explicitly permit discrimination against LGBT people by businesses and government.

Janine Hansen, the current executive director of the party and the editor of the '94 insert, told TPM earlier this month that "in general [Angle] agreed with our position on the issues."

Probably the coup de grace of the insert is the article "Can the HIV Virus Survive in Water?". Writer Lorraine Day, M.D., concluded that yes, the virus can survive in the water. Citing medical journal articles, she raised the specter of HIV infection through public pools, hot tubs, and municipal water supplies.

So on top of everything else known about her. She believes lesbians and homosexuals are "child-molesting, HIV-carrying, Hell-bound freaks" and she's a believer in the New World Order theory. Oh, that's rich. The Tea Party sure picked a real "winner" with a candidate like this.

I can not honestly believe they found someone who was worse than Harry Reid.

I doubt she actually believes any of that crap, Modbert. She was just pandering to the basest ignorance and hate. I gotta say, the latest crop of female pols has been a dismal disappointment so far.

I doubt she actually believes any of that crap, Modbert. She was just pandering to the basest ignorance and hate. I gotta say, the latest crop of female pols has been a dismal disappointment so far.

Considering her views on other subjects, I would bet she would believe that stuff. And I'm sure she was pandering to hate or ignorance. However, such a candidate is just as bad as those who believe in such hate or ignorance anyway.

So now we know who Pubes, ihopehefails, guatamala, Namvet, wicked jester, nraforlife, newbarf and countless others of their ilk will be backing for Senate.

So now we know who Pubes, ihopehefails, guatamala, Namvet, wicked jester, nraforlife, newbarf and countless others of their ilk will be backing for Senate.

I'm noticing a pattern with those posters. :eusa_think:

Guess what? One of Reid's friends was a member of the KKK, and he is already in the Senate. People change.

Guess what? One of Reid's friends was a member of the KKK, and he is already in the Senate. People change.

You sure do have a tendency to defend Republicans, but you're not partisan at all of course. :eusa_whistle:

As for Angle, can you prove she has changed? You want to talk about something that happened sixty years ago, be my guest. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that Byrd being in the KKK is brought up by Republicans on this board on a constant basis. Just like you did, in this thread.

What Byrd did and what Angle did are also two completely different things. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Forum List

Back