Sharpton at it again

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by RetiredGySgt, Jan 6, 2008.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,020
    The cops have it right. There was no reason for this guy to go OUTSIDE and confront them. He should have called the cops, armed himself and only acted if they did something to threaten him or his son before the cops got there.

Reasonable force does not include YOU creating a situation like he did.

If he were white and the teenagers black Sharpton would be howling he should get life in prison or the death penalty.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080106/ap_on_re_us/driveway_shooting_march

2. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Agree. :eusa_clap:

3. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

there was a recent thread on here, where cons applauded a guy for shooting kids that were on his neighbors property; kids that weren't actually threatening him or his own house.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    And?

5. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I would think you would be defending the right of this guy to shoot people on his property, if he thinks they are threatening him.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Where I think he screwed up was in having a handgun. If he had a rifle or shotgun, when the kid lunged, a vertical buttstroke to the chin would have sufficed.

However, I WOULD have confronted them if they were on my property and I perceived a threat.

I don't necessarily agree that shooting someone for breaking into your neighbor's house is right. At the farthest stretch, as a concerned citizen, I could see attempting to apprehend them, but not just shooting them out of hand.

7. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    John White claimed the gun fired accidentally when Cicciaro lunged for it, killing the 17-year-old.

Uh huh.

RGS is right. Just imagine the flip situation. A WHITE MAN shoots and kills a BLACK TEEN. It's inconceivable that Sharpton would do anything BUT call for the white man's prosecution. But I'm tired of being angry at Al Sharpton. I'm starting to become more angry at 1) the press, for dutifully reporting his every utterance, and 2) my own race, who seem to embarrassed to put up their own "Al Sharpton" who gets in everyone's face about the racial outrages against whites.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I will defend an individual's right to use whatever force necessary, to include shooting, to negate a perceived threat to himself, another person, or his own property.

At the same time, I'm not going to hand out a blanket, one-size-fits all amnesty to anyone who does it. With the power of life and death in your hands comes the responsibility to use it wisely.

In this particular instance, I think the guy used poor judgement by stepping outside his door any further than the porch armed only with a handgun. I think he used poor judgement in allowing either himself or them to get close enough to get a hand on his weapon. I think he used poor judgment in having the weapon cocked and his finger on the trigger so that it could easily be accidentally discharged.

That being said, that kid and his gaggle should not have been on the man's property which precipitated the entire sequence of events.

9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    LOL - so some are saying shooting someone is only Ok if you are ..... and the tragedy of gun toting scaredy cats only makes for a world in which we have unnecessary deaths but hey that's the price we have to pay for freedom, right....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/17/national/main3517564.shtml?source=mostpop_story

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770