Sharp Disagreements Between the EU and the New Soviets

Discussion in 'Europe' started by onedomino, May 18, 2007.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I am beginning to like Angela Merkel more and more. As Diuretic mentioned to me the other day: "They're back," referring to the Soviets. Tensions are indeed rising between the US and Russia, and apparently, between at least some in the EU and Russia. During the '90s, we did not hear too much from the old Soviets. Now that they are increasingly flush with petro dollars, the old Sovets are turning into the new Soviets. To measure Putin's commitment to democracy and freedom of expression, you would need a microscope. If the disagreements between the EU and the Soviets increase, watch the EU scamper back underneath the American security umbrella. We should probably let some, like France and Germany, stand out in the rain for awhile.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    There is no doubt that Putin would like to revert back to USSR. It is going to be very interesting to see if Europe avoids it.

3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,118
    I sure hope they don't have blinders on!

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well they are now monitoring the mosques, so they may be moving in a reality based mode now. It seems so against their MO though.

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Not sure how Europe can reduce tension with the totalitarians running the Kremlin, but they may achieve some new level of appeasement. They are dependent on Russia for energy, and they have let what little defense capability they possessed prior to the collapse of the CCCP decline even further. Remember the EU could not even handle the situation in Kosovo, much less a confrontation with Russia. All during the 90s and the first seven years of the 21st Century, the EU has been distancing itself from the US, with policies such as no support for Iraq, and the desire of some to sell weapons to the PRC. If Putin overplays his hand, he will force the EU back under the American defensive umbrella. It will be interesting to see how America responds to feckless "allies" such as France and Germany. No doubt the shrill leftist media in those countries will construe rising tensions with Russia as somehow the fault of America.

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    There was a time when Putin's policies made sense and he has indeed brought Russia back from the serious doldrums it was in circa 1999. But his incessant bullying of his neighbors and his opponents benefits no one but his fellow elite. Yet look at Russia right now and realize this is all posture, they are losing Siberia peacefully to the Chinese (via illegal immigration and Chinese investment) face multiple Islamic insurgencies in different locations within Russia's near abroad and nearby and their society is still in full collapse with a full blown AIDS epidemic, astronomically high abortion rates and the continuing decline of their living standards.

So Russia bullies Europe somewhat, forces Europe to take them and the US more seriously, but they're still supplying the majority of the energy to us and the EU. They talk loud, but their actions are by and large benign. Putin takes the long view, his future threats are even greater Islamic terrorism and Chinese resource needs.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I certainly hope your read is correct.

How are the tying the knot plans coming?

8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I do not think these actions are benign. This is how Russia is spending its petro dollars:
    [​IMG]

Russia Launches New Strategic Submarime: http://jamestown.org/edm/article.php?article_id=2372106

9. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Progressing. Now worrying about visa issues under the new incompetent DHS regime. My respect for illegal immigrants rises everyday I have to deal with this bunch.

I see Russia sees China eyeing all of its abundant resources, and I think Russia knows what it must do. But first, Russia must survive the next 10 years intact for them to be able to compete in the future.