“Sharia tourism” growing stronger with Muslim travelers

I guess I can understand wanting to stay in a familiar environment, but if my usual routine in the States is to drink malt liquor, go to strip clubs, eat hot wings and watch NBA Basketball, why should I go to Norway and drink malt liquor, go to strip club, eat hot wings and watch NBA Basketball? I thought people traveled to see different things and for new experiences? :confused:

They have NBA basketball in Norway?
I know what you're saying. When I traveled, I enjoyed trying out the local food. Lots of times, though, what most people go to see has been packaged and marketed to sell to tourists. I hate that touristy mess. I've settled now and travel little, for many reasons. I don't miss seeing the wonders of the world.
It's almost funny, in a sad way, because the do the same thing to Alaska. It's been packaged and marketed and the tourists come in droves to "experience the wilderness"...from the comfort of swanky train cars, motor coaches, special sight-seeing boats, etc. For those of us who live here, they have ruined a lot of truly wonderful things and cost us a bundle, just to accommodate our "visitors". I wonder whether the inhabitants of other tourist destinations don't view the looky-loo invaders with the same disdain that Alaskans do?

Gallant -

How much aid does the US give China?

I'm not sure how much official aid we send to China, but we sure as hell send a lot of our manufacturing infrastructure there. I work in the transportation industry, and I will tell you unequivocally, when the airplanes come here, they are packed gunwale to gunwale with goods. When they go back....yeah, not so much. Lots of times, the planes go back to China with just dunnage. How much more do we need to send them?

I guess I can understand wanting to stay in a familiar environment, but if my usual routine in the States is to drink malt liquor, go to strip clubs, eat hot wings and watch NBA Basketball, why should I go to Norway and drink malt liquor, go to strip club, eat hot wings and watch NBA Basketball? I thought people traveled to see different things and for new experiences? :confused:

They have NBA basketball in Norway?
I know what you're saying. When I traveled, I enjoyed trying out the local food. Lots of times, though, what most people go to see has been packaged and marketed to sell to tourists. I hate that touristy mess. I've settled now and travel little, for many reasons. I don't miss seeing the wonders of the world.
It's almost funny, in a sad way, because the do the same thing to Alaska. It's been packaged and marketed and the tourists come in droves to "experience the wilderness"...from the comfort of swanky train cars, motor coaches, special sight-seeing boats, etc. For those of us who live here, they have ruined a lot of truly wonderful things and cost us a bundle, just to accommodate our "visitors". I wonder whether the inhabitants of other tourist destinations don't view the looky-loo invaders with the same disdain that Alaskans do?

Oh I'm sure they have it on the telly, NBA is all over the world now its a global sport. Popular in Europe too.As far as what you said about Alaskans I have heard Hawaiians feel the same way, so your probably not too far off.

Good business people will recognize the market and work with it. If muslims don't want to share common facilities and alternatives are available, by all means, and welcome to them. Too bad this country is such a cesspit of stupidity. If a business wants to cater to smokers, for instance, they should be permitted to. You don't like smoking, you don't like muslims, or whatever else, don't patronize an establishment that caters to them.
Easy-peasy...

Americans are welcome to travel in Egypt and China. But thy don't supply us with toilet paper.

But your point is tkaen. You don't like getting raped and fisted and have someone try to pull your scalp and limbs off for an hour like Laura Logan, don't visit an islamic theocracy. I never will again!

Hell, we already send plenty of our money over to those rathole countries, or should I say, our government confiscates plenty of our money to send to them. Why anyone in their right mind would want to visit places like that and spend any cash...
What happened to Laura Logan should have raised some kind of objection from our so-called leaders, what has been done to many of our citizens should have. But what do you expect when our so-called leaders would rather sit and watch (or listen to) embassy staff being murdered in the streets than order some action that might have saved their lives.

Our resident board muslim said that didn't happen to Logan. He said it was 'just touching.' But they pulled off part of her scalp and she had to undergo surgery for the fisting they did. I'm glad to have seen the pyramids, but they were a huge disappointment. Wish I had gone to see the ones on this side of the world instead. And my stomach hasn't been the same since. Even with antibiotics. Egypt is a filthy place and the food all tastes ruined.

Gallant -

I'm not sure how much official aid we send to China, but we sure as hell send a lot of our manufacturing infrastructure there. I work in the transportation industry, and I will tell you unequivocally, when the airplanes come here, they are packed gunwale to gunwale with goods. When they go back....yeah, not so much. Lots of times, the planes go back to China with just dunnage. How much more do we need to send them?

That isn't aid - it's trade.

Remember capitalism? Well, China is good at it.

I'm glad to have seen the pyramids, but they were a huge disappointment. Wish I had gone to see the ones on this side of the world instead. And my stomach hasn't been the same since. Even with antibiotics. Egypt is a filthy place and the food all tastes ruined.

They pyramids are a huge disappointment to most people - it's all tour buses, touts and crowds.

BUT - head 20 miles south to Saqqara and you can walk around pyramids in the desert with almost no one around. It's magical. And you can go inside them with a flashlight!!

It's always a shame when people spend 3 days in a massive country, miss all of the major sites, and then spend the rest of their life running the place down.

Did you try diving in the Red Sea - it's some of the best diving in the world?

Did you head out into the Sahara, or visit a real oasis like Siwa?

Did you visit Luxor or Abu Simbel?

No, of course you didn't.

And Egyptian food can be very, very good. But as in any city you have to know where to eat, and if you ate conference food, it probably wasn't any better than it would be in the US.

Gallant -

That isn't aid - it's trade.

Remember capitalism? Well, China is good at it.

They sure are good at trade.
I've never looked much into how much aid we send to China, though. If I get some time, I might just check it out. Do you have any stats?

Gallant -

I don't hae any stats, but I would doubt any development aid is being sent to China. There may be some US charities running projects there, of course, but I'd be surprised if there is any federally funded projects.

Egypt has received aid money from the US for decades, though it's a tiny figure when compared with what goes to Israel.

Gallant -

I don't hae any stats, but I would doubt any development aid is being sent to China. There may be some US charities running projects there, of course, but I'd be surprised if there is any federally funded projects.

Egypt has received aid money from the US for decades, though it's a tiny figure when compared with what goes to Israel.

I wouldn't be surprised either if US government aid to China was limited. Of course, they don't need, and probably don't want, our help. Private charities are welcome to do what they can or want to.

At this juncture, I'd be pretty pleased to see our "powers that be" retract any financial funding for any government whose policies are clearly anti-American. They don't like us, why should the American taxpayer support them?
We have a budget crisis and desperately need to start trimming our expenditures. The first cuts should be to foreign aid. We need to fix our problems at home before we run around bankrolling people who generally hate our guts but love our bucks.

Most ATM's in America have daily limit on the amount of money you can access.

But a Brazilian friend of mine told me that in his country there is no daily draw limit at ATM's

Because ATM kidnapping is so common and the prices for ransom gotten so high.

You must be able to quickly meet the criminal demands or they will kill the victim.

In Brazil, sometimes that criminal is the government and it doesn't matter what your daily limit is.

Good business people will recognize the market and work with it. If muslims don't want to share common facilities and alternatives are available, by all means, and welcome to them. Too bad this country is such a cesspit of stupidity. If a business wants to cater to smokers, for instance, they should be permitted to. You don't like smoking, you don't like muslims, or whatever else, don't patronize an establishment that caters to them.
Easy-peasy...

Americans are welcome to travel in Egypt and China. But thy don't supply us with toilet paper.

But your point is tkaen. You don't like getting raped and fisted and have someone try to pull your scalp and limbs off for an hour like Laura Logan, don't visit an islamic theocracy. I never will again!

In Dubai and many other Muslim countries they do not have toilet paper as they hike their robes up and crap in a hole in most establishments other than hotels and western catering places. Then they have a garden hose like thing to spray your ass with.

Hygiene takes a back seat to religious customs.

Forum List

Back