Share faith...lose your job

You know, in spite of him being a complete asshole about it, Shogut is right. Too bad he has to be a complete asshole about it though.

Not so. This is what Si Modo is referring to:

EEOC: Title VII, Religious Discrimination

Employers must permit employees to engage in religious expression, unless the religious expression would impose an undue hardship on the employer. Generally, an employer may not place more restrictions on religious expression than on other forms of expression that have a comparable effect on workplace efficiency.

You can, and people have, successfully sued over suppressing religious expression in the workplace.

Actually ... not everywhere. There are places where they can fire you for almost anything in the US. Most service jobs won't allow you to wear any religious symbol at all, and anything that gets in the way of other employees is considered allowable reason for termination, no matter what that is. Only recently have they actually created a law that forces employers (wrongly) to allow people religious days off.

You know, in spite of him being a complete asshole about it, Shogut is right. Too bad he has to be a complete asshole about it though.

Not necessarily. This is what Si Modo is referring to, the link ignored by Shogun.

Employers must permit employees to engage in religious expression, unless the religious expression would impose an undue hardship on the employer. Generally, an employer may not place more restrictions on religious expression than on other forms of expression that have a comparable effect on workplace efficiency.

You can, and people have, successfully sued over suppressing religious expression in the workplace. There is no black-and-white answer.

:rofl:

Thats another foot deeper down the mudhole, dude. But, preytel, instead of telling us "AND PEOPLE HAVE" why dont' you shock this monkey and provide a link to such so I can show you why non sequiter references don't usurp legal facts.

PLEASE do this. I look forward to sending you back under the porch, lil doggie.

You can, and people have, successfully sued over suppressing religious expression in the workplace.
And, my point is that an employer would think long and hard about firing someone over this as they are not fans of getting into EEOC suits.

Unless someone can clearly prove an undue hardship on the other employees to justify that termination, the EEOC suit would be at a minimum a hassle and costly to the employer.

you need to learn to read or shut the fuck up.

:lol:

The only lawsuits over religious intolerance were those fired for "not being the right religion" ... none of them about expressing their religion in the work place.

And, my point is that an employer would think long and hard about firing someone over this as they are not fans of getting into EEOC suits.

Unless someone can clearly prove an undue hardship on the other employees to justify that termination, the EEOC suit would be at a minimum a hassle and costly to the employer.

Do tell, what have I gotten wrong here? Or is your MO just to continue with the 'I'm right, you're wrong so shut the fuck up' argument? If so, it's just an intellectually lazy pissing contest.

Clearly communicate your misunderstanding, or argue with my points, or just keep pissing. I suspect you'll just keep pissing. I concede pissing contests, so you'll win that one.

Do tell, what have I gotten wrong here? Or is your MO just to continue with the 'I'm right, you're wrong so shut the fuck up' argument? If so, it's just an intellectually lazy pissing contest.

Clearly communicate your misunderstanding, or argue with my points, or just keep pissing. I suspect you'll just keep pissing. I concede pissing contests, so you'll win that one.

Shogun already posted the links to the laws.

Actually ... not everywhere. There are places where they can fire you for almost anything in the US. Most service jobs won't allow you to wear any religious symbol at all, and anything that gets in the way of other employees is considered allowable reason for termination, no matter what that is. Only recently have they actually created a law that forces employers (wrongly) to allow people religious days off.

In most service industries where this would be a serious issue, the employers realize that most employees do not have the means to fight a legal battle over religious expression, or else they wouldn't be service industry employees.

This hasn't stopped people from suing, however.

ABERCROMBIE & FITCH SUED BY EEOC FOR RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST MUSLIM TEEN APPLICANT

EEOC SUES CINRAM WIRELESS FOR RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION: Woman Fired for Observing Her Sabbath, Federal Agency Charges

ALLIANCE RENTAL CENTER SUED BY EEOC FOR RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION:Aaron Rents Franchisee Fired Jehovah’s Witness for Religious Objection to ‘Red Shirt Fridays,’ Federal Agency Charges

COMMUNITY TRANSPORT SERVICES SUED BY EEOC FOR RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION: Ambulance Service Fired Jehovah’s Witness Employee for Refusing to Participate in Halloween Carnival, Federal Agency Charges

And these suits are from just the past 3 weeks!

In most service industries where this would be a serious issue, the employers realize that most employees do not have the means to fight a legal battle over religious expression, or else they wouldn't be service industry employees.

This hasn't stopped people from suing, however.

ABERCROMBIE & FITCH SUED BY EEOC FOR RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST MUSLIM TEEN APPLICANT

EEOC SUES CINRAM WIRELESS FOR RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION: Woman Fired for Observing Her Sabbath, Federal Agency Charges

ALLIANCE RENTAL CENTER SUED BY EEOC FOR RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION:Aaron Rents Franchisee Fired Jehovah’s Witness for Religious Objection to ‘Red Shirt Fridays,’ Federal Agency Charges

COMMUNITY TRANSPORT SERVICES SUED BY EEOC FOR RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION: Ambulance Service Fired Jehovah’s Witness Employee for Refusing to Participate in Halloween Carnival, Federal Agency Charges

And these suits are from just the past 3 weeks!

Where are the outcomes?

Not so. This is what Si Modo is referring to, the link ignored by Shogun.

If the other employees are annoyed at being preached at that places an undue hardship on the work place.
Agreed, if the employer can substantiate that in any potential religious discrimination suit. If it really is an undue hardship, then the employer should fire the person. I'm saying an employer would think long and hard about doing so because of the hassle involved. S/he will weigh the hardship with the costs of a possible loss in a subsequent suit. Hell, risk management departments do this all the time - weigh risks. And, that is all there is to my point.

oh well NOTHING says evidence like pending litigation...

You work in HR, which means you fuck employees over for a living. You'd be happiest if there were no labor laws, whatsoever.

And that, folks, is the sum total of eagleseven's comprehensive knowledge about labor laws and the role of HR in business.

NEXT!

Shogun already posted the links to the laws.
No shit, KK. That's not what I'm asking for.

I am asking someone - anyone - to argue the points I'VE made, not bullshit strawmen. Hell, I've even reposted my points, yet so many are going with their own interpretations of what I've said.

So, I want to know how my simple point about risk management has so many in a completely rabid state.

yea, the outcome SURE IS irrelevant! I mean, it takes so much to be litigious! Hell, who needs RESULTS when Jack Thompson is ready to SUE!

what a fucking idiot. Hate to break it to you, clone, but companies don't pussy foot around dogma junkies just to avoid lawsuits when their productivity is on the line. sorry to burst your lil pussyfart bubble.

No, whether it goes to court and the outcome of the trial is relevant. Thousands (perhaps more) frivolous lawsuits are filed every year.
The EEOC would not sue companies without legal precedent, as they are a federal agency.

Forum List

Back